mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Guitar cabs being picked up in my vox mic"

Posted on: June 29, 2008 @ 12:55 PM
Louder_Than_Good
Total Posts:  302
Joined  07-30-2002

Hi All -

I’m pretty new to gigging, as is my group. I’ve used a direct out from my mic into my personal stage monitor (ear buds), via a personal mixer, because I sing much better if I hear my voice front and center while I sing.

That part works fine, but the trouble is I’m also hearing the lead guitar cab very prominently through my vox mic into my stage monitor, making it harder once again to hear my voice. I’m far stage left, and he’s one person over towards the center of the stage. His cab is right behind him, and so a lot of it winds up in my mic. Adjusting the gain up and down on the mic input doesn’t work, since obviously I can’t separate the guitar sound out.

The only thing I can think of is to angle me away from that guitar cab, so I’m facing towards the right a bit, rather than straight forward (that way my mic would be pointing towards stage left, and not getting so much of his guitar sound). I’m not so keen on that because I like the audience interaction that happens when I’m facing straight forward.

Another option would be for the guitar player to turn his cab a bit away from me, towards the center of the stage. but I don’t think he would take kindly to that idea.

These are the options I need to choose from, as far as I can tell, but maybe someone else knows another trick?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 29, 2008 @ 01:42 PM
mo-z
Total Posts:  724
Joined  11-18-2005

Re: Guitar cabs being picked up in my vox mic

You got the right idea.  Move your mic away from the guitar cab or re-angle his cab. Another choice is to switch to a different mic with a tighter pick-up pattern, like a cardioid as opposed to an omnidirectional. When all else fails, turn down the stage volumes....

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sync FX???
Next Topic:

Finale Music Notation Software ››