mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need to understand more about PATTERN.."

Posted on: June 26, 2008 @ 05:14 AM
hdreamer
Total Posts:  221
Joined  12-30-2007

OK, I can figure out SONG mode on my MOTIF 7 because its like linear recording (I use Cubase LE)..
but what is this PATTERN ?
and yes.. I have the manual and I understand (or think I do) the basics of PATTERN but don’t see why should I use PATTERN instead of SONG mode?
When I record to Cubase I can also do loops in Song mode, right? Probably there is a good reason for this PATTERN but this function is not fully clear to me..
Can someone show me or explain me about PATTERN so I could get “Aha” moment!
thanks..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 26, 2008 @ 05:23 AM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

Re: Need to understand more about PATTERN..

Pattern can be used as a non-linear mode. Or even linear, but in Pattern mode, you may decide to lay out your song. For example you can use a Pattern (let’s say Pattern 1 for example) and then if you have a verse 1, chorus 1, verse 2, chorus 2, bridge, chorus, ending format (or something similar), you can use Pattern mode to outline how you want to do that. So on “A” you may put 16 bars for verse 1. On “B” you may put 8 bars for the chorus. On “C” you may put 16 bars for verse 2. On “D” you may be 8 bars for chorus 2. On “E” you can have your 4 bar bridge. On “F” you can have your final chorus and outro or put the outro on “G.” You can then layout your pattern in the way you like (for example, you may decide to go A, F, C, B, D, E, G) and then convert that format into a song.

This is how I use pattern mode. I very rarely go right into song mode to create a song. Also in pattern mode, you can copy patches (which I find very useful for having two or more sounds play the same exact thing without having to record it over and over). You can have different lengths for each track (i.e. the piano track can be 4 bars but the drums can be 16 bars).

I suggest getting some videos ("Get Motifated” series is quite helpful) to help you better understand the ins and outs or your keyboard.

Hope this helps a little bit. I’m sure someone with more specifics will chime in here…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2008 @ 03:29 PM
tonyali02
Total Posts:  31
Joined  11-24-2007

DF

please explain more on converting the tracks in pattern mode to song mode

i usually only use pattern, cause of the ease of recording and editing tracks 1 by 1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2008 @ 06:26 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

I “think” the MO6/8 is like the ES.
When you have all of your SECTIONS the way you like it (and you should “practice” putting them in order/sequence), you then create a Pattern Chain. Simply put you Record your “squence of Sections” in the way you want them to go. Once completed, there is a Job “Convert to Song” that will ‘convert your Pattern Chain into a Song.
(can’t finf my notes to give you the Step by Step but it should be in the (arrffph)"manual".

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2008 @ 10:48 AM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

It is a job function once you have laid out the pattern in the individual sections. You may also want to invest in the Get Motifated DVD series. Those are a great help. And the Commanding The Yamaha Motif books....

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ HOW TO BOOKS ON DIGITAL MULTITRACK RECORDING?
Next Topic:

Fade In & Fade Out ››