mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS Rack - Performance mode or not?"

Posted on: June 22, 2008 @ 09:53 AM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Yamaha,

Now that the Rack XS is shipping, can you tell me if it has performance mode like the keyboard unit?

Thanks,

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2008 @ 08:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: XS Rack - Performance mode or not?

It has PERFORMANCE mode but not exactly like the keyboard. Some things had to change to make it useful for those not controlling it with a Motif XS keyboard.

What you need to know about PERFORMANCES.
A “Performance” in Motif-language is a program containing as many as four PARTS (Voices) assigned to the same basic MIDI receive channel so that you can play them all at the same time. Each of the four PARTS can have 5 different arpeggio types assigned to them and you can switch between sets of arpeggio during performance. Performances can easily be copied to the MIXING (multi) setup in the Motif XS keyboard and will occupy the first four PARTS of the 16-part MIXING setup. So a Performance is simply taking a MIXING setup and placing the first four PARTS on the same MIDI receive channel.

The Motif-Rack XS does this all in MULTI mode. When you turn a parameter called “LAYER 1-4PARTS” = ON, the unit’s Basic MIDI receive channel is used to address all four PARTS simultaneously. The user does not have to worry about changing MIDI channels of each PART manually, however. (And this part is very cool)… This one parameter does it all for them by simply redirecting incoming MIDI instructions to the first four PARTS.

Important Note: This is done without having to change each of the four PART’s receive channel (which remain set to 1, 2, 3 and 4, respectively). This is so that you do not have to later switch them back in order to playback a multi-arpeggio Performance recorded to an external sequencer. (This is truly brilliant, really!) You transmit in from your controller on a single MIDI channel, the Rack XS rechannelizes the data and splits it to the four PARTS automatically.

So why will people say that it does not have PERFORMANCES?
Because, they do not see a [PERFORMANCE] button on the front panel. What they do not know is that a PERFORMANCE has four PARTS addressed from a keyboard transmitting on a single MIDI channel. A MULTI can have 16 PARTS – if you assign four of them to the same MIDI channel, in actuality you have a PERFORMANCE!

The Rack XS splits the incoming single MIDI channel to the first four PARTS, when the parameter “Layer 1-4PARTS” is set to ON.

When you take the Motif-Rack XS out of the box, the first 128 Performances from the Motif XS keyboard are already loaded into MULTI USER 001-128. However, each of the PARTS is set to a separate MIDI channel, i.e., PART 1 = CH1, PART 2 = CH2, and so on. You can activate these MULTIS to function as “PERFORMANCES” (LAYER) by turning the “LAYER 1-4PARTS” = ON. Incoming MIDI data on MIDI channel 1 will be processed and split to address the first four PARTS according to the parameters of the Performance.

· Press [UTILITY]
· Use the UP and DOWN cursor arrows to navigate the 5 pages in UTILITY
· Go to page 2/5
· Find “LAYER 1-4PARTS” and set it to ON by turning the rotary encoder to the right of the screen (clockwise)
· Press [MULTI]
· Use the UP cursor arrow or the Data rotary encoder (clockwise) to advance through the MULTI LAYERS (Performances)

Now the incoming signal from your controller keyboard (set to transmit on channel 1) will address the PERFORMANCE data by triggering PARTS 1-4.

How do you load PERFORMANCES?
A Performance is “bulked” from the EDITOR to the Motif-Rack XS. The user can select from any of the 384 USER PERFORMANCES (from the Motif XS keyboard) and port them over creating their own favorite 128.

The typical usage of the Motif-Rack XS will be as a multi-timbral / multi-MIDI channeled module in traditional form. When the “LAYER 1-4PARTS” parameter is set to ON, PARTS 5 through 16 are still available for use on MIDI channels 5 through 16.
When the LAYER 1-4PARTS is ON, MIDI channels 2, 3, and 4 are not used.

Shown below is the Motif Rack XS Editor - simply select a program from the Multi Library and click OK and it is immediately sent to your Motif-Rack XS. 

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/407742-MultiLibrary.JPG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 23, 2008 @ 03:59 PM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

Wow, thanks Bad Mister for the very thorough answer - much appreciated here. A couple of clarifications:

1. The software editor for the Rack XS has all 348 performances from the keyboard that I can load either one at a time as needed, or up to 128 to fill the ‘Multi’ bank provided. Do I have that right?

2. When in performance mode (same receive channel) can I control the volume of each part in real time using (for example) the 4 knobs on the front of the Rack XS? (I’m thinking it’s like the ES in this regard when loading a performance into a song or pattern file with the resulting loss of individual control as in performance mode).

3. Out of the box, does it hook up to the computer via USB?

Thanks again,

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2008 @ 07:17 AM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

Asking if Yamaha would answer the 3 questions in the above post. My local stores to not stock any rack products, so I cannot find out the answer to these things by doing a physical self-review.

It’s going to be this, or an M3M (which I can test as part of an assembled keyboard).

Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2008 @ 02:28 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

1. The software editor for the Rack XS has all 348 performances from the keyboard that I can load either one at a time as needed, or up to 128 to fill the ‘Multi’ bank provided. Do I have that right?

The Motif Rack XS Editor has all 384 Performances from the keyboard. You have 128 Multi locations in the Motif-Rack XS. You can use the 128 Multi locations as you require. Making some regular Multis (one sound per channel) and other Performance Layers (first four PARTS are on the Basic receive, PARTS 5-16 are set to individual channels)… and of course you can customize it from there… placing as many sounds on a MIDI channel as you wish.

2. When in performance mode (same receive channel) can I control the volume of each part in real time using (for example) the 4 knobs on the front of the Rack XS? (I’m thinking it’s like the ES in this regard when loading a performance into a song or pattern file with the resulting loss of individual control as in performance mode).

First there are five knobs and the knobs are setup to send to the selected PART. They are not exactly like the CS (Control sliders on the Motif XS keyboard) they are actually a combination of the knobs and sliders. They work exactly like the [SELECTED PART CONTROL] feature on the Motif XS keyboard… Here’s what I mean:

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/408243-Knobs.JPG

As you can see, you can select a row to be active. The active row of knobs will now control the selected PART in the screen. In the upper right corner of the screen will appear P1, P2, P3, etc indicating what PART is currently selected. You can change the selected PART with the [<] and [>] cursor arrows. Select the PART and you have 19 parameters effecting the current PART (plus TEMPO which is overall)

Additionally, the knobs can be set to send information OUT via MIDI. Most times your rack mount units are simply used passively - but as you realize the Motif-series racks have something to offer the MIDI OUT port: arpeggios, control data, etc.

The knobs are push-turn knobs - which is really cool because you can see quickly what’s going on. When you press the [SELECT] button you get a pop-up window that shows you the position of the currently selected row. For example,
CUTOFF, RESONANCE, FEG DEPTH, PORTAMENTO and VOLUME can be seen at once… you can set how long the pop-up display appears. If you turn a specific knob you are given the current value and the original value so you can see where you are and how far you moved from the original setting. So with “P1” selected, Knob 5 will be like the CS1 on the keyboard in a PERFORMANCE (controlling the Volume of PART 1) ... with “P2” selected, Knob 5 will be like the CS2 on the keyboard in a PERFORMANCE (controlling the Volume of PART 2)

So when it comes to row 4, the ASSIGN 1 and ASSIGN 2 functions can be doing different things to different PARTS. For example, with P1 selected ASSIGN 1 might be REVERB SEND (according to how it was set in that Voice), while when P2 is the selected PART it might be CHORUS SEND. And when P3 is selected it might be Element LFO DEPTH, and P4 could be assigned to control a parameter in the Insertion Effect assigned to PART 4!

Turning a knob will immediately activate it . Pushing a knob will simply display just that knobs parameter values (current and the original stored value).

We are not sure what you are thinking it was like, but it is not like that… you have control over individual PARTS you simply have to select the Part.

3. Out of the box, does it hook up to the computer via USB?

Yes. Well, you have to plug the cable in but it is ready to go. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2008 @ 06:33 AM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

Fantastic! Thanks again for your patience and time with such a thorough response. Now the hard part - making the decision to spend the money in these difficult times we’re having around here.

Thanks again,

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2008 @ 02:14 PM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

Can one change to a new Multi via sending a program change command in the same manner as changing Performances on the keyboard versions?
Since a rack is likely to be used in conjunction with a Master Midi controller this seems like the only sensible way make use of it in a live setting.

-Kim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2008 @ 03:46 PM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

No you can’t - only voices can be changed from a controller keyboard using the usual Bank MSB/LSB and PC numbers. After a bit of time with one of these over the last few days, I believe that rack products like this only make sense for home studio (computer-based) work or running midi files as backing tracks. They are not well implemented in my view for pure live use unless you just want the voices one at a time.

My opinion, of course. I’ve learned that Racks just aren’t for me. I’ll wait for the S90XS and will replace my current 88 key stage piano with that. There are some beautiful voices in the XS product line, that’s for sure. The effects are superior to those found in the ES series as well.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2008 @ 06:18 PM
keytarhero
Total Posts:  305
Joined  07-03-2008

I understand what you’re saying, but as always — to each his/her own.

I do home recording as well as gigging.  After I got myself a couple dedicated controllers I invested in the route of rackmountable units.
I have an 8-unit SKB case which houses several units.  For myself, it was much more affordable and convenient to go this route.  (ie, I don’t have the money to keep investing in a new board everytime I feel that I need new sounds).

The convenience of rackmounts would be that I am essentially bringing 3-5 keyboards to each show and controlling them with one controller. 

But once again, to each his/her own.  Boards and rack units will always boast different elements for convenience and versatility.  It’s all about the difference in preference.
For me, having this rack unit in a small case amongst others is much more convenient for what I do.

I actually bought this board primarily for live performance.  I didn’t need the board for any of the sequencing, sampling, or vocoding options.  To me I see the workstation aspect as being more “at home.” It’s great though, because with the rack unit you can have all the sequencing and screen based editing option but then leave home to perform without all the baggage.

Again, this is solely my opinion, and yours is just as valuable.  I don’t mean to talk anyone’s ears off or be too redundant, but I just want to make it clear to those live performers who read this thread that it still is an option.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2008 @ 06:52 PM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

I know lots of guys like these rascals, and they do serve their market pretty well I guess. In my case I was looking more for the multi’s to use Arps and that sort of thing. Not being able to call them up from a controller and control the Arps was a deal breaker for me.

Guess I’m a knob and slider guy/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif alt=.

Glad it’s working out great for you.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2008 @ 07:35 PM
keytarhero
Joined  07-03-2008

Very true.

I guess it would come down to how accessible you could have it at a gig and along what you were saying...if you’d want to change between multis during a song…

I hadn’t even realized that that capability was lacking.  I’ve barely made a dent in the manual, and figured that for a professional midi module, that all functionality would be accessible from a midi controller.

If that be the case, I think I’ll do fine with it.  My other units are more synth based sounds.  This gives me all those sweet key and orchestral sounds I like.  If I end up using a Multi in a gig, I can only see myself using one per song and be able to switch before the next song.  Otherwise, I may end up writing my own 16 channel Multis and being able to toggle those through midi channels.

But I do agree with you.  Again, seems like you should be able to access anything from a controller.

Myself being a bit ignorant to how things work, do you think something that they could fix with an os/firmware update in the future?  Or would something like that be concrete at this point?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2008 @ 08:22 PM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

Cool - I just saved $1299.

-Kim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2008 @ 03:11 PM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

Keytar,

How would you use the multi’s in your setup, and how would you control the arps? Maybe I’m missing something…

Anyway, I was trying to cheat the system a bit by going with a Rack XS. I did learn a lot from this trial period:

1. I need a new 88 key controller
2. The XS product line has some great sounds
3. I dislike adjusting a lot of parameters on a computer using a mouse (XS Editor).
4. I like to make changes using physical controllers.
5. I think that the S90XS will be perfect, and I should save my money for one./forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt= I just have to wait for them to make it. Should be soon if history is any teacher.

Besides the live use you describe, for a studio musician, this rack will be a great product. Super effects, great sounds, ability to integrate the multis and arpeggios, etc. 

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2008 @ 04:53 PM
keytarhero
Joined  07-03-2008

Bob,
Sounds like a great plan.  Even for myself it turns out I may want a better controller.  For the longest time I’ve gotten by using my Korg Prophecy (37 key) and Roland AX-7 Keytar (49 key)...and I daisy chain them together Midi, but that gets annoying at times.  I might look into getting a CME controller.  Have you heard much about those/used any?

As far as the other questions, I’m not 100% sure of my plan.  I haven’t really explored too much into these things....As far as my choice in the Rack, I chose because I have other units I want to run anyways and would need to run just the same regardless of my most recent choice with the rack XS, and it saved me some money.
To my understanding, the Arps can still be changed via midi signal???
In any case, I plan to have my rig close by.  It is a case so it would need to be on a stand or some sort of small folding card table haha.

An S90XS should be nice.  Waiting is usually tough, but worth it.  I was actually looking into getting a Rack ES.  The day I was actually truly debating buying it is when Yamaha announced the Rack XS on their site.  Four months later, it finally came out.  I must say, I’m a bit disappointed in its supposed lack of flexibility, but I’ve waited on this thing for long enough.  After all, I had my mind set on a rack unit and the Motif sounds are my favorite, so...long story short—however it ends up working out is the best case scenario for me =)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Why $1,299 and not $1,199?
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››