mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mastering"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: June 19, 2008 @ 09:37 PM
rogerkmusic
Total Posts:  100
Joined  02-15-2008

does any 1 master in cubase studio 4 or use different software to master.I tryed wavelab 6 ess.. i didnt like it, cubase 4 had everything wavelab had.Need tips
[url=http://www.myspace.com/rogerkmusic]http://www.myspace.com/rogerkmusic [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 08:53 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: mastering

Hi
Re: “cubase 4 had everything wavelab had”
---Sorry, but IMHO that’s just plain silly. Wavelab has many features that Cubase doesn’t have (and vice versa) including CD burning capabilities, more advanced and complex wave editing, advanced metering and wave analyzers...just to name a few. I’ve used both (full versions of Cubase and Wavelab) in tandem for years and they compliment each other, are far from similar, and both have their place in the chain.

In a home/project studio you can indeed master in Cubase or Wavelab....your choice....provided you have the right plugins. If you want to try and master, I suggest one of the first pieces of software, you want to consider is Izotope Ozone (see previous discussions on this subject). You can download a free mastering guide from the Izotope web site, and check out the product there. Izotope, in the right hands, can produce some excellent results. You won’t become a Bob Katz overnight, but for many folks the Oxone software is all they really need at home. And don’t forget that mastering is a completely different art form than recording, so developing your ears and studying mastering by reading (eg. Bob Katz’s “Mastering Audio...the art and the science") and learning is as important as the tools. Won’t matter if you have the best mastering tools in the world if you can’t ‘hear’ what should be done or know how and when to use those tools. And let’s not forget your reference monitors and room treatment, among other things, if you hope to produce decent masters.  ..............frank

PS: For an excellent “very deep” clinic on Ozone, c/o the tutorial by Bob DeMaa in a spring issue of Virtual Instruments magazine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 09:31 AM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

Thank you.....Its all a learning process,i just didnt like wavelab im gonna check out ozone see how it is.what wavelab you using

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 09:42 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: “what wavelab you using”
----I use Wavelab 6.1, which is the latest version. And re not liking Wavelab, well no one can argue that you HAVE TO like it, but I will suggest that once you start doing more complex wave editing, creating CDs etc., and you work with the program for awhile and learn about all its features and how to use them, I would guess that your opinion might change. In any case, you ask about mastering, so we’ll keep that as the focal point today /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 10:17 AM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

I cant install wavelab 6 ess. my computer doesnt have internet connection.May be thats why i dont like it,i install it on my lap top with internet connection it works,So when i tryed to transfer it over to computer with no internet it gives me a demo.Sorry man im upset with buying a software and not being able to install it...thank you

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 01:22 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

So in other words, it’s not the program that you dislike, you’re angry because you can’t install the same vesrion that everyone else can.... on two different computers?? How is this the program’s fault? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=
Did you start by reading some posts on the Steinberg Wavelab forum , and perhaps posting an installation problem question there? Have you tried to determine WHY it works fine on one computer, but not the other?
I don’t use Essentials as I mentioned, but the full version comes with a dongle on to which you load your licence. If you have a dongle, did you transfer that dongle over to the second computer, and load the Syncrosoft software as well? Did you follow exactly the same installation procedures on both machines? If you did and it still doesn’t work, then it can’t be the program can it because you’ve verified that it does work on one computer. Are you using the latest version of the software? Are you trying to load it on to a 64 bit system? What are your system specs and operating system? All these things must be revealed before anyone has a clue as to why you might be having a problem. Please do kKeep all that in mind when you post on the Wavelab forum.
Now, anymore questions about “mastering”?..............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 04:07 PM
michaeljoe
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  11-09-2004

Frank,
Glad to hear you’re somewhat of an Ozone proponent.  I’m about to upgrade to C4 (finally) and purchase Ozone.  I don’t sell 1000’s of CD’s worldwide and can’t justify the cost to pay someone to master my music any more.  I realize it’s not optimal, but I’m hoping Ozone will at least give me good results.  Maybe one day I’ll sell enough CD’s I can pay someone like yourself to put a sheen on my material /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 04:39 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Mike,
Hope you will like Ozone....and I think you’ll like the results once you learn the program. Lots of other folks here are using it as well...as past threads will reveal. Be sure to download the Mastering Guide as well, and definitely have a look at the “very deep” tutorial on Ozone by Bob DeMaa in a spring 2008 issue of Virtual Instruments magazine. I’ve been using Ozone at home for 3 or 4 years now, and still I was impressed by some of things DeMaa suggested. He has a little different approach than the standard one...and I liked it and the sound it produced. If you can’t find the review, let me know via e-mail and I’ll try to help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

It may take awhile for you to become really proficient with the program, but the time spent is worth it and the Izotope guides are excellent. Cheers............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2008 @ 11:41 PM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

Thanks franke.....My wavelab 6 came with a activation key only no dongle..I really dont know why it give me the demo on my studio computer and the full version on my lap top..im confused
[url=http://www.myspace.com/rogerkmusic]http://www.myspace.com/rogerkmusic [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2008 @ 08:05 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Do post on the Wavelab forum, but two things come to mind. First, without a dongle that contains your licence so that you can move that licence between two computers, it is highly likely that you can only run Essentials on one machine. If you want to install it on a second machine, you will need another licence and authorization to use it there. Even with a dongle, one is still only permitted to run Cubase, Wavelab etc. on one machine at a time. One purchase=1 licence= 1 machine. It doesn’t give us the right to run one purchase on several computers at the same time. You’ve authorized on your laptop, so that’s the machine on which currently you can run Essentials.
Second, since your ‘other’ computer is not connected to the internet and you don’t have a dongle or another code, you probably can’t authorize on that machine anyway, since you already authorized on your laptop. In any case, that probably explains your current situation, but do check with Phillipe the Wavelab forum moderator and the developer of Wavelab to verify the above, and see if you can find a solution. The question for you is: which machine do you want Essentials to be on.....keeping in mind that you can only use it on one machine?...........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2008 @ 09:18 AM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

back to mastering...hows does professional cds have a volume half way up and sound so loud without clipping...My sound needs to be at 90 percent to sound loud and good..whats the secret.My bus only gives me so much room to work...i use limiters,comp,and so on but still cant get that juicy sound level

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2008 @ 09:32 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Ah-ha......well that’s what you’ll learn to do when you study mastering, and learn to use tools like Ozone. You will not achieve your goals or create a good master simply by slapping on compression, using limiters, and using only the tools required for recording and mixing. Unfortunately how it’s all done and with what tools is far too lengthy a process to even begin to describe here. It’s like asking how do I create a beautiful painting. One has to learn to draw and paint, use the brushes, decide which brushes to use and train and practice before things are clearer. If you really want to learn about the mastering process, please (for example) read Bob Katz’s book that I referenced, download and read the free Ozone guide I mentioned, learn about the various tools (software or hardware) that are used for mastering (you probably don’t have half of them at present) and perhaps take a course. I’m not trying to evade answering; your question you will discover one day is just way too broad to be answered here. Start at the beginning and you’ll soon understand what I mean. Even if you only work with a program like Ozone, you’ll begin to understand how it’s done as you work through the guides, but whatever approach you take, some preliminary work on your part is definitely required. Enjoy...............frank

PS: And only just trying to get CDs as “loud” as possible is definitely not one of the main goals of a good mastering engineer. That’s a touchy subject, and you will discover why as you delve deeper. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2008 @ 12:12 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

“It’s not how loud you make it, it’s how you make it loud”.

Bob Katz

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2008 @ 04:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

“It’s not how loud you make it, it’s how you make it loud”.

Bob Katz

Amen!!!
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2008 @ 08:08 AM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

Thanks...I know the louder it goes the more crappier it sounds but theres some production where its loud and sharp, i just want my final wave nice and juicy and clear of course,I know theres steps to have n a great final mix and it starts with the frist step and ending with the last step...Is ozone better then wavelab for mastering??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2008 @ 08:34 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: “Is ozone better then wavelab for mastering”
---With respect, you’re confusing “apples with oranges” /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Ozone is only one of many MASTERING plug-ins, tools and programs that can be used in programs like Cubase, Wavelab, Sonar etc. Cubase is mainly a recording program and, as Wavelab’s name indicates, it is first and foremost a wave editing program. Cubase and Wavelab can be used for some basic ‘mastering’ and have many excellent features that can contribute to the mastering process, but for now perhaps look at them more as programs in which, for example, Ozone runs. I also don’t want you think that Ozone and Ozone alone is the only program you should consider when thinking about mastering, and think if you have it then you’ll immediately understand everything there is to know about mastering. I also don’t want to keep repeating myself either /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= so it would be really useful for you if you were to start reading and learning using the information I provided (and using your own resources as well) so that mastering, what it is and what it isn’t, and mastering concepts and techniques etc. at least start to reveal themselves to you. Focusing on the “I just want to” school of thought so prevalent these days, just won’t work here...I suggest that you will need to do some reading and studying first, so perhaps begin with the free “Mastering with Ozone” guide (click here) that I mentioned.................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase 4 and Motif Rack ES
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››