mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mic choice for recording tenor sax"

Posted on: June 16, 2008 @ 11:10 AM
michaeljoe
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  11-09-2004

I have several LDC and a couple of Oktava MK-012’s as well as a few SM57’s, sennheiser e609’s, etc. and have never recorded a sax.  I’m just curious as to what the guys around here use for a tenor sax.  I’m thinking about going with a ribbon (read rave reviews on the Cascade Fathead II), but wanted a few other opinions before proceeding.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2008 @ 12:56 PM
mo-z
Total Posts:  724
Joined  11-18-2005

Re: Mic choice for recording tenor sax

Depends on the sax and style of the tune.
For alto/tenor, one mic will suffice---aimed at bell/mid-horn; soprano requires 2 mics--- one at the bell and one mid-horn.
For ballads and solo features, a condenser is a must, especially to capture those breathy sounds.  Make sure to play around with mic placement before messing with the EQ.
For ensemble stuff and louder solos, an sm57 will do. I like to use beta57’s and sennheiser 421’s on saxophones [421’s are great on bari saxes].
About clip-on mics: great for live use, not so great for recording---you get mechanical noise from key clicks and pads shutting.  You can use them though with mic to MIDI triggering units like a Roland VP-70 with great results.  I did this so a sax line would trigger a synth module to double the line.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2008 @ 01:54 PM
michaeljoe
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  11-09-2004

Re: Mic choice for recording tenor sax

Thanks Max.  I’ve got an old CAD E-200 which is a darker mic that I think might sound good.  I also might try one of the Sennheiser e609’s, but I’m expecting the CAD to be the deal.  Honestly, I really just need an excuse to buy the ribbon.  I’ve wanted one for more of a vintage sound on vocals for a while.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Basic ? - right way to do a sound check?
Next Topic:

Sync FX??? ››