mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Laptop - Multitrack Recording in Sonar 7"

Posted on: June 15, 2008 @ 08:53 AM
plasmaflow
Total Posts:  0
Joined  05-18-2004

I have connected by S90ES with mlan16e to my laptop using an express firewire card with no problems. I used the auto connect option to maximize audio I/O with the laptop and S90ES is the master. I am using the ASIO drivers in Sonar.
Question - if I record a VOICE as digital audio out using mlan15-16 out to the laptop I can hear what I’ve recorded on playback through the headphones connected to the keyboard phones jack ONLY IF THE KEYBOARD IS CHANGED TO PERFORMANCE MODE.
Therefore, a problem arises when I want to record track 2 using another VOICE. Since the keyboard as to be set to PERFORMANCE to hear the first track I can not record a new VOICE in the 2nd track as it is not accessible. How can I record multiple VOICES in multiple tracks and monitor what I am recording while listening to the previous tracks? Do I need a mlan MIXER to do what I am proposing? Thanks in advance for you help as your responses have helped me greatly.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 17, 2008 @ 03:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Laptop - Multitrack Recording in Sonar 7

Firstly, you do not have to be in PERFORMANCE mode to playback. You simply have to select the correct options for record and playback.

To get a clear understanding of what is going on you must understand the following:
The mLAN16E is a multiple Port audio interface. Each PART of a MULTI can be routed via an output to your recording device (Sonar 7).

The mLAN outputs are assignable outputs. And are as follows:
as1 = ASIO mLAN 01
as2 = ASIO mLAN 02
as3 = ASIO mLAN 03
and so on
as14 = ASIO mLAN 14

...as you will notice, they can be linked in odd/even pairs… as in:
as1&2 = ASIO mLAN 01&02
as3&4 = ASIO mLAN 03&04
and so on

L&R - the main left and right output are mLAN 15&16

So when you recorded mLAN15 and 16 you did not record a discreet assignable output, what you recorded was the main LEFT and RIGHT stereo output of the S90 ES.

If you are going to multi-track record, you would assign PARTS to either mono or stereo pairs of mLAN outputs.

Using the main L&R (15&16) would be done when you want to record just a stereo mix from the MULTI.

You assign PARTS to mLAN (assignable) outputs here:
Press [SEQ/PLAY/MULTI] to select MULTI mode
Press [EDIT]
Press Track Select button [1]-[16] to select the PART
Press [F2] OUTPUT
Press [SF3] SELECT
Here you can see that the default assignment is “L&R” for each PART (the main L&R outputs).

Say you want to route PART 1 on ASIO mLAN 01… you would set the OUTPUT SELECT parameter = “as1”

The mLAN16E gives you 16 audio buses between the S90 ES and your computer. These are 14 assignable outputs and the L&R stereo output (15&16)

Your computer (Sonar) will use a stereo bus to return signal to the mLAN16E (which is your soundcard). There are actually four pair of returns but you only need 1 pair for Left and Right return. You can find the mLAN return signal as follows:

From MULTI > [EDIT]
Press [COMMON]
Press [F5] AUDIO IN
Here you can toggle the screen five times using the [SF5] button which lets you select AD, mLAN1, mLAN2, mLAN3, or mLAN4 as your options… the currently selected option will appear in the upper left corner of the screen.

Press [SF5] until “mLAN1” appears in the upper left corner.
Here is your returning audio from Sonar. You will notice it is assigned to go to the L&R main outputs - so you can monitor what you are playing back.

An important page to also know about is the following:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F2] I/O
Press [SF2] OUTPUT
the mLAN Monitor Switch will determine what you are listening to....  it should be ON when you are routing individual PARTS on mLAN (assignable) outputs. It, literally, lets you listen to what is being sent and received via mLAN.

You may find the following guide useful… although written for the Motif ES (some 4 or 5 years ago) it will apply to the S90 ES - it has a section on SONAR as well (although I’m sure it was Sonar 3 and/or 4 at the time). Most of the screens have not changed - as as long as you know the Motif ES has SONG or PATTERN and MIXING mode, the S90 ES has MULTI mode - and these are the same things… you will be fine..

At any rate it will serve as a guide for you.

mLAN and the ES

[ Ignore ]