mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "OK, EWQL installed. What next?"

Posted on: May 13, 2008 @ 11:23 PM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Maybe my experiences with EWQL is interesting for others too, or maybe I can get some handsome tricks in return.

First, I bought the platinum bundle which contains sets of DVD’s with the regular XP library and PRO/XP library + one sheet of info how to install the lot. The serial nos for the libraries were only for the PRO/XP DVD’s, meaning I had to install the PRO/XP DVD’s first and later on add the XP libraries.

OK. Thats fine, but it means that my first idea to start with the basic XP libraries was not possible, because I had no serialno for it and was not possible to activate does XP libraries. I was only able to activate the PRO/XP libraries because it had a serial no per library, so each library: WOODS, BRASS, PERCUSSION and STRINGS had their own serialno.

My setup to try this EWQL stuf out is as follows:

PC with VISTA 32 bit, 3 harddisc drives, 4G RAM, M-Audio AXIOM 49 key midi controller, GO46 fire wire sound interface. M-Audio via USB connected to the PC. GO46 connected via SPDIF to Amplifier and speakers. Libraries of the EWQL are stored on one separate hard disc “D”, while the kontakt sampler players are on harddisc “C”. I did not install Cubase 4 on this PC yet, because I have Cubase 4 on my other PC.

To try this EWQL out I did install the “STRINGS” and the “PERCUSSION” libraries and have managed to get some sound from these libraries using my M-Audio keyboard. So it seems to work.

Ofcourse the first thing I tried is to load a string voice into the sampler player and that went well for a view times, but then

I loaded a voice and it stops loading at a point that 98 percent of that voice was loaded. So it stops and my PC did not do anything after that so I had to power off my PC.

Question, is this normal? OK. Besides this loading problem, how do I proceed with this EWQL experiment. I mean in this setup I cannot create any music sofar. I suppose I have to install Cubase 4 as well in this PC, which makes it possible to use the EWQL as a VSTi, like Reason 4 software?

I know I am a little dummy in this, but is that the whole idea behind EWQL, it works the same like REASON 4, Garritan etc. ???

If thats true I expect a lot of problems with respect to latency in spite of my Fire wire connection and memory problems.

Please, friends, any suggestions?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2008 @ 11:45 PM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

Re: OK, EWQL installed. What next?

Yes - EWQL SO is designed to reside inside a DAW like Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer etc. just like Garritan and the other libs.
That is really the only way software like this makes any sense anyway.

The problem with your computer stalling when loading could be if you try to load up more samples than your computer has RAM for. The Platinum version of this software is made up of some awfully big files.

Personally I have stuck with the Gold version for that very reason. I can make fairly complete symphonic arrangements in one G5 that way.
Composers using the Platinum version usually spread it out over 4 or more separate computers to accommodate the CPU/RAM requirements.

-Kim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2008 @ 12:30 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Kim,

Thanks Kim. I was already afraid for that answer. Platinum is too big.

Do I understand you correctly. Is it possible to select only the gold samples from the libraries into the kontakt sampler.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2008 @ 08:48 AM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

I don’t own Platinum so I have no experience with it.
One of the differences is, that Gold is 16bit - Platinumis is 24bit.
In Gold you have one stereo sample pr. voice - in Platinum you have 3 stereo samples pr. voice.
Look to see if there is a 16bit version on your discs you can install - or contact the tech support.
Sorry - that’s all I know about this.

-Kim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2008 @ 11:07 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Kim,

Thanks sofar for your help. In the mean time I had contact with East WEst and they told me that the Platinum Bundle I bought with the XP and PRO/XP libs are both 24-bit samples with 3 mic positions for each sample. It does not include the Gold version at all. So I am stuck with this 24-bit sample libs.

However I am trying to trade in this Platinum Bundle for a Gold bundle. LOL. I do not think they are willing to do that. If not I think its cheaper to buy the GOLD version than assembling 2 extra PC’s to have a total of 4 PC;s to handle this Platinum bundle. In spite of that I have no idea how to work with 4 PC’s in one time working together with these libs to create music. I have already problems enough with one PC

Anyway this is an expensive lesson and EWQL should warn when people are planning to buy a platinum bundle that they need at least 4 powerfull PC’s to handle those Libraries.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2008 @ 01:17 PM
Jimstang
Total Posts:  2431
Joined  07-25-2002

Once the PLAY upgrade comes, you will be able for a smallish fee, get the 16bit samples as well as upgrade,

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 28, 2008 @ 01:24 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Jim,

Thanks for the info. EWQL is not willing to allow me to trade in my platinum version for a gold version. They agree I might expect memory problems with the platinum version using one PC, because of the 24-bit samples and 3 mic positions.

They advise me to buy the gold version 16-bit version instead.

Is that not nice of EWQL. Great service. For the moment I have enough of EWQL.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2008 @ 04:12 AM
michaeljoe
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  11-09-2004

Sorry for your trouble Jan.  Is there no way to simply load the 16bit Gold XP library instead of the complete Platinum library?  I’m assuming no.  My experience with Gold was totally different.  It loaded up and I was playing within minutes of the samples being loaded.  I’m about to get the XP upgrade, but have no plans for the Platinum.  I hope you get something worked out.  It really is a great library....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2008 @ 04:45 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Mike,

The platinum bundle of EWQL does not contain the gold XP its only the platinum, 24-bit version. Thats the problem. I assumed at the the time I bought the platinum bundle that the gold XP was included as well.  That was wrong of me.

So, because I am not willing to start using 4 to 8 PC’s to get this platinum pro XP working I will be forced to buy separately the gold version of EWQL. If I still want to start with EWQL someday. I have my doubts. I start beginning to believe that the use of synthesizers etc. has some advantages comparing with sound libs.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ need motif expert
Next Topic:

Yamaha KX controllers - thumbs down :[ ››