mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS with Akai mpc 2000XL."

Posted on: May 10, 2008 @ 05:59 PM
pertusha
Total Posts:  0
Joined  05-10-2008

Hello! My name is Alec!
I just bought Motif XS7, and i liked it more then my es6!
Its so many new gret sounds!
Here is my story:
I am using for my sequencing Akai MPC 2000XL, and Motif XS as sound module.
I already find out I need to use song og pattern mode for using it with Mpc.
But i see that i cannot use Motifs Arpeggiator with my mpc.
Maybe there is a way to set it up properlly?
Help me please!!!
Maybe you know some other tricks for Motif XS with Mpc sequencer?
I want you to share them here!
10x!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2008 @ 07:41 AM
MusicWorkz
Joined  12-26-2003

Re: Motif XS with Akai mpc 2000XL.

Why can’t you use the arpeggiator with the MPC?

The MPC has 64 tracks, so setting a few (to either Drum or Midi) to simply transmit midi info back to the XS is easy.  The XS should be playing MIXING/SONG voices, so conceivably, you can have sixteen tracks of voices being triggered from MPC, any of which would have an arpeggiator slaved to the incoming clock signal from the MPC. 

But you will need to have the XS set to Midi Local Off, the MPC set to transmit midi thru the selected track back to the XS, the XS Midi Clock set to EXT for receiving midi beat clock, or if you are also using the Motif sequencer, MTC so it can get song position as well.

Take a read thru the manuals..both the MPC and XS.  It’s all there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 13, 2008 @ 11:54 AM
MichaelJHuman
Total Posts:  369
Joined  09-04-2007

On the off chance this helps you -

I have a Roland MC-808 and I currently have it hooked up to my XS.

I have a drum and bass pattern recorded in it.

The simplest method I found to use that pattern is as follows -

I connected XS to the 808’s MIDI out
I set the 808 to slave to the XS’s clock
I turned off the external switch on each track in the mix (otherwise the XS is sending MIDI notes to the 808, which I don’t want)
I hooked the 808’s audio out to the XS’s audio input (set to line/mono)

When I record or play on the XS, the sequencer on the XS sends some sort of MIDI clock to the 808 which starts it’s sequencer.  It then plays through the XS’s audio input and sounds great; I just adjust it’s output

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2008 @ 01:28 AM
leocoltrane
Total Posts:  8
Joined  05-14-2008

i’m using an xs 6 and an mpc2500 and just learned how to record arp’s to the mpc. It can be done in about 3 steps in the xs. (each step has a few sub-steps but they’re on the same page so i grouped them)

the obvious: since you want to record arpeggios, turn that function on by pressing the arpeggio button.

while in pattern mode, press the mixing button, then press seq setup button. next, press F3 for quick setup, go to setup #4 and press enter. that’s the 1st part.

now press the edit button (bottom left button to the left of “job” button), and press F3 to select ARP Other. in that page, turn the MIDI OUT Switch ON and below that, set the MIDI OUT Channel to the channel of the instrument you want to record on your mpc. That’s step 2.

press F2 for ARP Main. At the top of that page turn the “Switch” on and at the bottom of the page, choose your ARP type. now aside from experimenting with the 6000+ arp coices, you’re done with configuring the xs.

on to the mpc.

highlight the the midi channel you want to record to, press open window and turn the soft thru off. now you should be able to record the arpeggio and you can test this by turning the arpeggio off on the xs (arpeggio on/off button) and pressing play on the mpc.

good luck

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 14, 2008 @ 01:34 PM
pertusha
Joined  05-10-2008

Thanks everybody!

And Thank you Leocoltane For your advice!

Just don’t undestand how i can do your second step:

now press the edit button (bottom left button to the left of “job” button), and press F3 to select ARP Other. in that page, turn the MIDI OUT Switch ON and below that, set the MIDI OUT Channel to the channel of the instrument you want to record on your mpc.

When i press edit button i see just - view filer(F3), Track sel(F4) and Insert(F5)/I dont see Select arp Other.

In step 3, as i undestand i should press record button Then F2 to see arp main? Is that correct? 

Than i press play on my MPC to audition arpeggios -MOTIF STARTING RECORD TRACK IN MOTIF SEQUENSER.

How can i resolve this issue?

Thanks!
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2008 @ 04:50 PM
jorgeperez21080
Total Posts:  8
Joined  03-10-2008

I am basiacally having the same issue. I have an XS8 but when I get to the step of pressing the edit and then f3 buttons in pattern mode, I don’t the same menu you described. My menu shows Ctrl Asgn for F3, General for F1, Master FX for F2, Ausdio in for F4 and Effect for F5. I don’t see any type of midi channel out off on option anywhere. can you help me with this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2008 @ 01:10 AM
pertusha
Joined  05-10-2008

I RESOLVE THIS ISSUE BY PRESSING ANY OF 16 TRACK (PRESS TRACK WHERE YOU WANT PUT ARP.), THEN YOU WILL SEE F3 F2 ETC. BUTTONS!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2009 @ 05:16 PM
JMac!
Joined  10-08-2008

Wow this is great information.  Thanks everyone for sharing.  I have and MPC200xl, and I was wondering how to link my XS7 with it.

GREAT POSTS

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ zones / how to program my motif-nord lead setup?
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››