mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "studio manager and firmware update"

Posted on: May 08, 2008 @ 06:04 AM
bodine_jethro
Total Posts:  37
Joined  04-21-2008

Thank you to everyone who helped on my Performance buffer questions.
During that search, it was suggested that I update my firmware. I have Sonar Home Studio 6 as my sequencer and I followed the directions in the firmware folder, i.e, I set the Motif-Rack ES Midi to USB, I installed the Yamaha USB driver, and I set the tempo to 120. Everytime I try to update the firmware, I get an illegal data message from the Motif-Rack ES. I looked through the archives and I read that I should change the SysxSendPacketSize from 1024 to 64. I did that and I got the same error message. I tried checking all 8 of the Yamaha ES output in the Midi Port selection and I tried just checking output number 1. Any suggestions out there?

I also wanted to try loading some of the free voice patches from the MotifMart. I downloaded and installed the Yamaha Studio and Motif editor files. When I run the program, I cannot find any of the free voice patches under the Open command. The Yamaha Studio only allows me to look for *.YSM files and all the free files have other extensions. Is there another way to load/find these patches?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2008 @ 08:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: studio manager and firmware update

There is 7minutes and 58 seconds of system exclusive data in the firmware update (and it has been known to choke more than a few sequencers)…

I have found that the simpler the playback sequencer the more likely you are to successfully update. If you are on a Windows computer - see if you can route Windows Media Player to send the data via USB

Go to CONTROL PANEL
SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES
Select the AUDIO tab
Set the MIDI Music Playback Default Device to the YAMAHA USB OUT port 1

I have found that Windows Media Player is virtually foolproof in playing back this rather huge file - remember it is almost 8 minutes so go make a cup of coffee (or tea if you prefer). /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Studio Manager is the host application that houses the Editors. To load a file you will want to look for your options in the Motif Rack ES Editor

Studio Manager could house Editors for all the hardware in your studio… so it is not going to open files for the Motif Rack ES. It will simply be a launch pad for the editor icons.

Double click the Motif Rack ES (Voice) icon to launch the Voice Editor… then on its menu bar look for the FILE function or the EDIT function where you can open or import files of different types for the Motif Rack ES.

hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2008 @ 06:52 PM
bodine_jethro
Joined  04-21-2008

Thank you for the help on the firmware. It worked beautifully using Windows Media Player (but more than 8 minutes on this computer).
I still cannot get the Multi Editor to work.
I call up Studio Manager, set up my Midi Ports and then select Motif Multi Editor.
When I try to import, I am only allowed to look for *.w9e files. None of the files in the free voice banks have that extension.
Is there a conversion routine somewhere?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2008 @ 09:28 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I still cannot get the Multi Editor to work.
I call up Studio Manager, set up my Midi Ports and then select Motif Multi Editor.

We assume that you also setup the ports on the Multi Editor.

Studio Manager has MIDI ports that connect it with your computer. The Multi Part Edtior also has a setup page that lets you connect this application to the Studio Manager.

Open the Multi-Part Editor
On the main menu go to SETUP > Setup…

Set the ports as follows:

MIDI In Remote Port = Not Assigned
MIDI Out Remote Port = Not Assigned
MIDI IN Port = Port 1 (YamahaUSB IN -1)
MIDI OUT Port = Port 1 (Yamaha USB Out -1)

When I try to import, I am only allowed to look for *.w9e files. None of the files in the free voice banks have that extension.
Is there a conversion routine somewhere?

When attempting to load Voice libraries from other products you would need to “open” or “import” them into the Motif-Rack ES VOICE Editor. If you did not download and install the VOICE Editor please do so… it is found on the same page you found the Multi-Part Editor.

you do not need to install another instance of the Studio Manager but you do need to get the VOICE Editor for the Motif-Rack ES:

[url=http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_series.html]http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/motif_series.html [/url]

Scroll down and read (very) carefully. Once you have installed the Motif-Rack ES Voice Editor for your computer type and operating system - you would ADD it to your Studio Manager Workspace.
Launch it and make sure you set its MIDI IN / OUT ports… then you can OPEN files of different types; including:
.w9e (Motif Rack ES Editor)
.w7e (Motif ES6/7/8 & MO6/MO8 Editor)
.w6e (Motif Rack Editor)
.w2e (Motif 6/7/8 Editor)
.m3e (Motif-Rack ES Multi Editor)

If you go to the EDIT option on the main menu bar and select “Import...” you can import the above file types. The difference is IMPORTING allows you to open libraries and select specific individual Voices to move into your current Library.

So use the VOICE Editor to manage your Voice Libraries.... The Voices once open in your Motif-Rack ES Voice Editor can be saved in .w9e format and then can be Imported into the Multi-Part Editor.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
bodine_jethro
Joined  04-21-2008

Thank you Bad Mister.
I got everything working. I had downloaded the multi eidtor instead of the voice editor. There was only one letter difference in the file names and I didn’t notice that earlier.

I loaded the voices using the Studio Manager, sent them over to the Motif Rack ES and then sent them back into my Editor Librarian (Sound Quest). A little cable swapping (USB to MIDI) but it worked fine.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2008 @ 04:43 PM
nmcq333@cox.net
Total Posts:  13
Joined  05-06-2005

I loaded the firmware update midi file into Digital Performer and it choked the midi buffer, so I slowed the tempo down in the sequencer to about 30 bpm, tried it again, and it completed it fine.
Be sure to do play the midi file when the Motif is in the firmware mode, which it is by turning it on while pressing 3 buttons (I forget but they’re in the read me instructions). If you try it while the unit is in normal mode it won’t work.

Neil
myspace.com/AlteredDominant

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Arp and silence?
Next Topic:

Import ES8 files to a Rack ES ››