mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Record S90ES sounds through Logic Pro 8?"

Posted on: May 03, 2008 @ 12:17 PM
marmorek
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-12-2008

I’m wondering how to set it up so I can record sounds from my S90ES into Logic as MIDI, rather than audio. I can already control Logic’s voices with my S90ES, but I want to use voices on the keyboard in recordings and playback while still recording as MIDI. I’m connected with USB, by the way.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2008 @ 01:36 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Record S90ES sounds through Logic Pro 8?

You cannot transfer the audio via the USB port.javascript:void(0)

Without an Audio Interface you are limited to recording and playback of midi via the S90ES and Logic’s software instruments…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2008 @ 04:42 PM
marmorek
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-12-2008

Can you play MIDI data from Logic back through the S90ES (through USB)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2008 @ 04:02 AM
JackAxe
Total Posts:  0
Joined  12-31-2005

I’d like to push this topic a bit further.  I run Logic 8 Pro through an Apogee Duet interface--a great piece of gear, but no midi.  I can record my S90ES via audio, of course, and I can use it as a midi controller via USB, but how can I use the S90ES as an EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT in Logic?

Would I need to buy another interface?  If USB can run midi into the DAW, why can’t it run midi out again to the S90ES?

Thanks
Jersey Jack

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2008 @ 07:20 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

marmorek,
I’m sorry for the delay but, for some reason, I never received an email notice of your reply… You certainly can play MIDI data from Logic back through the S90ES. I believe I referenced that in my original post but somehow it displayed as a javascript error…

You simply set up the S90ES as an external instrument… Several posts in the forum describe how to do that. Here’s how…

1) Logic Pro 8 will recognize any device setup in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. When properly installed, the Yamaha USB Driver should be auto-configured by Audio Midi Setup; and, it will appear there. It will be grayed out unless the Motif is connected.

2) Audio Midi Setup will recognize the USB driver but, not the keyboard. It must be manually setup in AMS.

So from the Desktop, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. Open the Audio MIDI Setup. Choose the MIDI Devices Tab.

Select ‘Add Device’. An item appears called ‘new external device’. Double-click the first device. Type ‘S90ES’ as the Device Name. You can select Yamaha as the manufacturer. Apply the changes and close…

3) Move it (the S90ES Device) directly under the Yamaha USB Driver Device (it should be there once the driver is installed correctly). There is at least one set of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports.

Place your cursor at the left downfacing triangle (out port) and drag to the left triangle of the S90ES Device (in port). It draws a cable. Draw just the one and- Close ‘AMS’…

4) Open Logic 8 and create and external instrument the S90ES should appear in the Media / Library as an option…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2008 @ 09:10 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

JackAxe,
the midi is not echoed out unless you setup an External Midi Track. It is also good to make sure that the keyboard is setup in the AMS as described above so that it can be selected from Logic’s Library after creating an external instrument track…

Clarification, after creating the external track (from the Library) select from the S90ES options, the midi channel that you want that track to (control / transmit to/ receive from) . Duplicate for additional tracks…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Setup to sync. LP8 to the Motif XS ?
Next Topic:

Motif XS Library names to Logic Envronment ››