mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sonar and ES6 Help me mister wizard!"

Posted on: April 30, 2008 @ 06:38 AM
Ron.G
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-13-2004

I am having problems with the ES6 when using it with sonar. Instrument definitions and midi interface are all set right. I’ve been using Cakewalk for many years so I know that it is setup the way it should be.Here are my problems.

When I setup midi tracks in sonar for the ES6, I set the midi chn for each track to it’s own number on the same port. I am only using port so this setup is easy.
All midi in and out’s are set correctly within sonar and the send and recieve chn in the Motif is set to chn 1. Local control is set to “off”.

When I set up a piano on track one it plays and records/plays back fine just as it should.
When I add a new track in Sonar, say a string patch, it plays fine as I play the ES keyboard. But when I play back sonar without recording the string patch, The first track is now playing the string patch.
I have the Motif set to Pattern mode and also tryed song more so it would play multi-timbral with no luck.So writing his come to a complete halt.
Other qwerks.
I can’t seem to figure out how to set the midi metranome to a hi-hat drum patch. it just plays what ever track is selected that I am working on. Like a piano note.

I can not audition patch sounds buy clicking in the patch field that opens up all the sound within the bank I have selected(in Sonar), then use the up/down keys to scroll through the sounds and play the ES to hear the sounds .
This feature I used all the time with my old 1080 with no problem.

I hope I presented this clear enough for you to understand and thanks for any help you may have.

I’m at a loss at this point and have a movie sound track project that is starting this week some time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2008 @ 01:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Sonar and ES6 Help me mister wizard!

All midi in and out’s are set correctly within sonar and the send and recieve chn in the Motif is set to chn 1. Local control is set to “off”.

Trizzle, trazzle, truzzle, trum… /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=
Let’s start here. The Motif ES is only multi-timbral/multi-MIDI channeled when you are in SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING mode. And when you are, then the “Basic Receive Channel” and “Keyboard Transmit Channel” are meaningless. Particularly when you set Local Control to OFF>

When in SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING modes (labeled on the front panel as “SEQUENCER”, by the way) you are in the only modes that can be used for multi-MIDI channel use.
Make sense? When you are using Sonar - you can use either SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING - the setups work the same.

The Transmit Channel (when Local Control is OFF) is going to be determined by your DAW software (Sonar). The track you have active (in Sonar) at the time will determine what MIDI channel the key presses arrive at and are then echoed back to the appropriate PART of the ES MIXING SETUP.

Each PART can be assigned to receive on a different MIDI channel. By default a blank SONG/PATTERN MIXING program has PART 1 on MIDI Receive Channel 1, PART 2 on MIDI Receive Channel 2, and so on

You can see this as follows:
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press Track Select button [1]-[16] to see PART Edit parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] MODE
Here you can see the MIDI Receive channel for each PART in turn.

At [F1] VOICE / [SF1] VOICE you can choose a different sound for each PART, in turn - making sure that Sonar tracks are set to address the appropriate MIDI channel.

Setting the Metronome to a specific sound is a matter of working with Sonar. I’m no expert on Sonar but if they are still the same… you can route the Metronome sound on any MIDI channel (I believe they default it to 10) - in the Motif ES MIXING setup put a DRUM KIT in PART 10. Yamaha does not force you to use DRUMS on channel 10 - which is why it may have worked on your other modules no problems… with the Motif ES you can place drums on any or all channels if you prefer.

In Sonar: Go to OPTIONS > Project Options > Metronome
Select the PORT that is sending to the Motif ES. Select the Channel that YOU choose for your drums… but just make sure you are targeting a PART of the ES that has a drum kit.
Select a KEY for the First Beat and Other Beats
Set your Velocity.

I think in SONAR Note “F#3” will be a closed hihat (on Yamaha that is F#1) anyway you can experiment to find out which sound is what… I simply remember they numbered the notes a lot different than Yamaha does (by about 2 octaves.
Yamaha numbers MIDI notes from C-2 through G8
Sonar numbers MIDI notes from C0 through G10.

Hope that helps.  Good luck on that project!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ basic recording
Next Topic:

Studio Connections and Sonar setup ››