mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "No Audio From Yamaha S90 Multi-Instrument"

Posted on: April 26, 2008 @ 05:28 PM
boy2man86
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-04-2006

Hi all,

When I was on Logic 7, I was able to set up a Motif multi-instrument so I could record the Motif presents as audio. Since getting Logic Pro 8, I haven’t had the desire to get it set up again, but I just bought a used S90 keyboard that I would like to try.

Mostly everything is working that is supposed to be working--I have the S90 environment set up, all the updated drivers, and Logic and the S90 communicate fine changing banks, via USB. MIDI in/out is fine. I have 1/4’’ cables from the L/R output of the S90 into my Apogee Duet, and then 1/4’’ cables from the Duet to my studio monitors. But I can’t get any output, and I can’t record audio though I can record the MIDI. For example, through Logic I’ll select the “PowerGrand” bank from the S90 multi-instrument, and I can record the MIDI, but it won’t play back through my monitors. Then when I record-enable an audio track to record that MIDI as audio, Logic doesn’t record anything.

It’s odd because I get healthy levels through the Duet’s Instrument Line In, but no levels for the output. Yet if I put in a software instrument track, the output levels are fine. Also, if I connect my S90 directly to my studio monitors, it works fine.

I’m sure I’m just overlooking something simple. Do I have to change any settings within the S90? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2008 @ 03:25 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Re:  No Audio From Yamaha S90 Multi-Instrument

boy2man86,

Ok, I’ve never used Logic 7, so I’m not familiar with how it worked… And, Logic 8 is designed to eliminate at least some of that environment work…

And, forgive my simplistic questions but, what OS are you using? Also, I am assuming that you are indeed selecting the Apogee Duet’s appropriate input channel in the I/O of the Inspector…

And, have you selected the Duet as your Core Audio Device? (i.e.- click the Preferences Toolbar button, choose Audio from the pop-up menu, then click the Devices tab and select the Duet and finally, ‘apply changes’)

If the Duet does not appear, it is not properly setup.

And, you can cause Logic to select it automatically by doing the following:

From the Desktop press ‘command’ + shift + ‘U’. Press ‘A’ and open Audio Midi Setup. In the Audio Devices Tab change your ‘Default Input’ and ‘Default Output’ to the Apogee. Logic should now auto-configure it as your Core Audio device when you launch it. And marvelously /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif alt=, if you connect your Duet halfway through a session Logic will still recognize it and ask you whether of not you want to select it as your core audio device.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2008 @ 11:24 PM
boy2man86
Joined  06-04-2006

Hi motif8mine,

First, thanks for taking the time to take a stab at answering my question. Logic does in fact recognize the Duet as its CoreAudio, and it is also the Default Input and Default Output.

I’m on OSX 10.4.11.

You mention selected the appropriate input channel in the I/O of the inspector...I am adding an external MIDI instrument track (opposed to Software Instrument or Audio), and then using the S90 environment I downloaded to trigger the banks, so there is no option to change the I/O in the Inspector. All I have is a Reverb dial, CHorus dial, Group button, Pan, and Volume control.

Thanks for any additional help you can provide!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2008 @ 07:45 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

boy2man86,

ok, I’m totally unfamiliar with the S90, so I’m at a little disadvantage but let’s be clear on something… I was referring to the inspector of the Audio Track, where you must select the Duet channel(s) as the input of the I/O.

If you show input signal but no output, it sounds like a setting in the Duet’s Maestro Software perhaps, are the outputs muted (pg. 11- Duet manual) or, are the ‘To Harware’ output faders down (pg. 15- Duet manual)???

Otherwise, I’m at a loss right now…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
boy2man86
Joined  06-04-2006

Hi there,

I’m a little bit confused! I was referring to the INspector of the S90 track, which looks like this:

[url=http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3104/picture1js5.jpg]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3104/picture1js5.jpg [/url]

When I had my Motif 6 set up, I could hear the Motif’s audio through my Outputs on the External MIDI track (like the image), then I could arm an audio track and record the MIDI to audio. I can’t get the audio in the External MIDI track even.

The Duet is still properly setup for CoreAudio and as the default input/output, however.

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2008 @ 09:25 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ok,
let’s clarify a few things… Midi and audio are independent… and External Tracks and Audio Tracks within Logic are independent.

Also, software instrument tracks are different in this way: while they can and do record midi information, they also output audio to the mixer that can either be routed to an audio track and recorded, or bounced directly to CD, etc…

[When I had my Motif 6 set up, I could hear the Motif’s audio through my Outputs on the External MIDI track]

I’m not sure how your Motif 6 was connected but it is impossible to hear audio from the external track. Logic’s external tracks handle midi only. The midi is echoed back to the instrument which triggered the Motif’s sound generator and that audio was then outputted back to Logic via Mlan, Duet or whatever other audio interface you used…

The external track that appears in the Logic’s mixer and the faders that appear in the Inspector are not controlling audio but sending, midi controller info back to the Motif / S90. So, changing the volume on that track is not really changing db’s, it’s sending cc#7 info…

In order to record audio from the S90 [you say that you have decent ‘line in’ levels], that same ‘line in’ signal, representing the audio from the S90, must be selected as the input in the I/O of the audio track’s Inspector…

So, one of two things are happening. Either the midi is not being echoed back to the S90 and triggering its sound generator- or a fader, knob or something else within the Duet’s Maestro software (I believe) is preventing the audio from being outputted… If you are showing ‘line in’ levels, the midi is getting back to the Duet. That leaves some other setting somewhere else…

Those are the two things to trouble shoot…

[ Ignore ]