mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Motif XS Arp to Logic Pro 8 tutorial ?"

Posted on: April 26, 2008 @ 02:10 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  688
Joined  08-13-2002

Is there a step-by-step tutorial on how to record the Motif XS arpeggio’s midi out, into Logic Pro 8 ?

Does Logic Pro 8 need to be slaved to the Motif XS in order to record the arps ?

Any feedback would be helpful.

I’m not using mLan, I have the Motif XS7 connected to LP8 via USB.

Currently I’m using LP8 as the master sequencer, the XS is slaved via midi to LP8.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2008 @ 08:00 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Recording Motif XS Arp to Logic Pro 8 tutorial

I don’t know if this will work but, I’m attaching a pdf file tutorial…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2008 @ 08:49 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

OK, I don’t know how to remove the first attachment and since I’m a perfectionist and saw an error in the pdf…

Please Use This Attachment Instead!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2008 @ 11:43 AM
muziksculp
Joined  08-13-2002

Hi motif8mine,

Thanks for your help. I think I am half way to solving this issue… Here is what’s going on ....

I’m currently able to record arp from motif XS into Logic Pro8 only on channel 1 successfully, but, when I try to record the arp of let’s say track 6 /channel 6 to track 6/channel 6 in logic, and then set the Arp “MIDI out switch” to “on” , then the “Midi out channel” to channel 6 (to try to record track 6’s arp into a LP8 track set to channel 6).  I can’t record the arp, but rather, I hear a strange mechanical beat sound is being transmited. (it is not the metronome) not sure what is triggering it, instead of the actual arp ?

I tried changing many of the parameters in both LP8 and the Motif XS that I would think can affect this functionality, but nothing seems to work, basically I would like to be able to record multiple arps simultaneously into LP8, so far I’m only able to record the arp assigned to track 1/Channel 1 of the Motif XS into a LP8 track set to midi channel 1.

The Motif XS is slaved to Logic Pro 8 via midi. and is connected via USB. (Audio Midi setup). (I have No mLan interfaces).

Any ideas what could be causing this problem ? 

By the way, I’m just beginning to use the Motif XS (REMOTE) function to control Logic Pro 8, and it works great, I have not gone into this in great detail, but so far it works great for Rec/transport, level, and pan controls.  Using the Logic (REMOTE) function of the Motif XS has improved my work flow with LP8 quite a bit.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2008 @ 02:00 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

muziksculp,

First, assuming that you followed the tutorial for set up, there is one thing that must be checked in order to record multiple channels simultaneously. That is, switch on the File > Project Settings > Recording > “Auto-demix by channel if multitrack recording” option.

I’m not sure which mode you’re operating in but, the instructions I’m giving refer to operating the XS in Song Mode. I have not attempted to do this from the Voice, Performance or Pattern Modes. I do not change midi out channels for the Arp etc… This is selected by enabling the appropriate record channels in Logic… I’ll have to look into this when I get to my XS tomorrow at work…

Second, Logic is tempermental in that it you need to mute any midi channels on the XS that you do not want to record. This must be done from the ‘Song’ screen and not the ‘Mixing’ screen. Muting from the ‘Song’ screen mutes the midi. Muting from the ‘Mixing’ screen mutes the instrument: midi notes will still be transmitted to Logic.

Also, when record multiple midi tracks into Logic. Enable record for every channel that you will be recording. If you play various midi channels into Logic with only one track enabled, all tracks will play through that one channel and you will hear an audible mess…

Enabling record for each channel, even when just auditioning / listening to the XS play will cause the auto-demix function to work and you will hear every instrument play through the proper instrument…

There is probably a way to eliminate this step by doing a lot of work in the environment but, I haven’t really looked into that yet. Also I typically just record one channel of arps (drums) into Logic, I typically play everything else but, this should resolve your problem

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2008 @ 05:07 PM
muziksculp
Joined  08-13-2002

I’m still having major problems getting any of the arps to be recorded into LP8.  for some reason, even getting one arp recorded is almost impossible.  (quite frustrating !)

I tried setting the File > Project Settings > Recording > “Auto-demix by channel if multitrack recording” option.  but that did not seem to solve any issues. I am testing the arp function in (Song mode).

I’m getting a lot of messy midi data whenever I set “midi out switch” to “on”. 

Question 1) What setting do you have the “midi out” channel for the arps set to ?

Question 2) Do you set the the “midi out switch” for the arp to “on” ?  I think this is the only way to transmit the arp as midi data to a logic Pro midi track. otherwise the arp will play correctly, but on the XS, but will not be transmitted to LP8 for recording.

Wow ... I did not expect recording the Motif XS arps into LP8 to be such a headache.  /forums/images/icons/confused.gif alt= Hopefully there is a solution.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2008 @ 06:24 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

I did not mention the ‘midi out switch’ because I don’t touch it…

Perhaps I’ll defer to someone who records arps more than I do.

Following the exact setup and steps that I gave you, from beginning to end, I easily record arps into Logic with no problem…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS with a PC or Mac?
Next Topic:

No Audio From Yamaha S90 Multi-Instrument ››