mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS with a PC or Mac?"

Posted on: April 23, 2008 @ 07:58 PM
GreenMachine
Total Posts:  66
Joined  02-13-2008

I’m wondering if i should run the Motif XS on a Mac Pro or an iMac to use Logic and maybe Cubase AI or just get a PC and use FL Studio and Cubase AI????? Help?!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2008 @ 08:56 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Motif XS with a PC or Mac?

What are you trying to accomplish? And, how much money are you willing to spend?

Facts:

1) Macs are faster, more powerful, more stable OS, more efficient, more user friendly, setup is typically easier and of course, plays well with pc’s and reads pc drives… When the OS undergoes major upgrades, if you choose to upgrade, it may very well cause your 3rd party plug-ins and musical software to stop working… At least until the Software & Hardware manufacturers release new drivers- this is particularly a problem with Pro Tools, which I also use…

2) Logic Pro is more powerful, more plug-ins, software instruments, loops, adapts better to on the fly setups- (example: if Logic is running and I plug-in my XS via firewire- it recognizes the presence of the new audio interface and adapts. If I unplug it, it does the same… A very deep selection of channel strip settings and effects. Several software instruments. The EXS 24 Sampler Instrument… It also has a steep, steep, steeeeeep learning curve… Really, even steeper than what you’re imagining now and the manuals (about twenty five pounds of them) tell you what things do, but not necessarily how to do it. You have to take full advantage of the 90 day free telephone support, support forums and Youtube tutorials. But, once you learn, it smokes…

3) PC’s are generally cheaper, the OS more unstable, more software is developed for and available for it, free plug-ins, and software synths, etc… it doesn’t play well with Macs… doesn’t read its drives and it often doesn’t play well with your software or hardware. Vista is… well… Vista… {PC owners are still buying XP, that can’t be good...}

4) Cubase AI is not even in Logic’s ballpark, Cubase 4 is not in its class, though AI is extremely functional and the ability to integrate the XS’s Editor software is very attractive, especially since it’s free… Cubase 4 is a very good app, with the same close integration with the XS software- I haven’t used it enough to know about the learning curve but, dollar for dollar, value for value, it can’t compete out of the box…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2008 @ 09:22 PM
GreenMachine
Total Posts:  66
Joined  02-13-2008

i have a flexable price range preferably no more than $2200 ( looking at Mac Pro or iMac)
I own the Motif XS6 and the mLan card is coming on friday (yesss!!!) What I want to do is midi/audio record my Motif tracks into a computer based sequencer since the sequencer on the Motif is pretty decent (I have not had the chance to really work with any computer programs just keyboards) and from there use the effects and plug-in effects to brighten up my sound and give it the High-Def crisp 32-bit sound that I have been looking for. I have noticed that when i record my motif straight into a CD burner and compare it to a track done inside of FL Studio, Cubase, or Logic there is a certain crispy, glossy sound that I’m just not getting with the Motif alone (not to down play the motif’s kick ass sounds ) So with all that being said

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2008 @ 07:37 AM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

You’re mentioning alot of different software DAW’s so, if you already own them, it’s going to make a big difference.

I don’t know whether or not FL Studio is considered a professional app or not but, if you’re seriously considering it or Cubase AI, perhaps you’re just a hobbiest or enthusiast and not necessarily trying to bust out the next Grammy award winner… And that makes all the difference in which direction to go…

A PC based system can easily be gotten, software and all for under $2200…

You cannot buy a new mac pro for $2200, and you would still need a monitor worthy of the investment in a 8core system… Plus, you would still need to buy Logic Pro, if you don’t already own it…

An Imac would have to be upgraded to at least 2G of ram to properly run Logic, and what about an external drive unless you’re using the Imac solely for music, you’re probably going to want to have one or upgrade the internal drive to 500 or 750G (external drives are preferred for greater performance)- the higher the bit rate used, the greater the file size, etc… The upgrades are quickly going to push you upwards of $2200 depending on which Imac you choose… plus tax…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2008 @ 07:09 AM
nickb_rock
Total Posts:  11
Joined  03-29-2008

I have been using a PC to record for about 5 years. I have been using PC’s since I can remember. Using PC’s for many years had me in this tunnel vision like mentality. I hated macs, I thought they were stupid and overpriced and I could do the same thing with a PC that was cheaper. I was wrong.

Last year I bought a MacBook Pro and switched completely to using Macs. I have never been happier. I never have to do any troubleshooting, everything works, the OS is more enjoyable to use. I can do everything my PC did and more! Logic only runs on Macs and its an amazing DAW. I’ve used cubase on my PC and did some research:: they designed cubase for macs. Everything Audio/Film/Advertising/Print, and most creative professionals use macs. Maybe I’m a little biased because I use a mac now, but I can honestly say I wish I had switched over years ago. And about prices… in some cases its actually cheaper to by a Mac. Look at the PC-all-in-one solution and then look at the iMacs. iMacs look better, have a better OS, better hardware configuration and cost cheaper. Hmmmm. Another thing to note, Macs don’t have bare-bone kit type products, which I like. Compare any PC with matching hardware to that Mac Pro and you’ll realize they’re gonna cost about the same.

Tip: don’t buy apple ram, its about the only thing thats truly overpriced.
if you are looking at getting a mac, OWC (Other World Computing) has some nice external hard drives and ram made specially for your mac, and its really inexpensive.

On the topic of plug-ins and DAW’s and soft-synths and stuff. All of the programs I’ve used on my PC were designed for macs anyway, so needless to say, they are available for Mac OS X. I haven’t had one situation where a plug-in was windows only and I’ve used tons. Right now I’m using Stylus RMX, Atmosphere, Propellerheads Reason 4, Logic Pro 8, MainStage (awesome program for live performances), Synthogy Ivory, Best Service Galaxy II, iZotope plug-ins, and more. They all work flawlessly, and I’ve never had anything freeze or crash. Wish I could say the same about my previous setup.

So in the end, I’d definitely have to recommend going the Mac route, you won’t be disappointed. Secure OS alone should seal the deal for you. Forget about viruses, crashes, etc. I mean sure all technology can screw up sometimes, but I haven’t had one of those experiences yet. Definitely cannot say the same about my PC’s.

P.S. The new iMacs might be worth taking a look at, if you don’t plan on using a PCI audio interface. They just did a spec bump and they’re pretty powerful machines.

[ Ignore ]