mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problem in recording wtih mm6 & Fastrack pro"

Posted on: April 22, 2008 @ 10:49 AM
desai309
Total Posts:  5
Joined  12-31-2007

Hi,
I’m having trouble in recording setup with yamaha mm6 & M-audio Fastrack Pro audio interface. I’m using Vista..

Here’s what I did.
First i downloaded drivers for both yamaha mm6 and fastrack pro. (So fastrack pro and yamaha usb-midi driver icon appeared in control panel)

Then I connected only fastrack pro interface (not mm6) to computer (through USB cable)to check if it’s working as guided in manual.
I connected speakers to interface (through XLR to 1/4” mono jack cable) and it was working. I was getting sounds from speakers through interface.

Then I connected mm6 to interface through midi cables and audio cables(1/4” mono jack at both end). but when i clicked on yamaha usb-midi driver icon in control panel, it said yamaha usb-midi device is not connected.

Then I checked on Cubase Le. Fastrackpro appeared in input and output (at left side of screen) of cubase only in midi track. In audio track, there was IN 1 & IN 2 in input and BUS (left-right) in output column.
there was no yamaha mm6 anywhere.
I checked in midi device manager in cubase too, but no mm6 there. (there were some other instruments in installed device column but i don’t know how to get yamaha mm6 in that column.)

When I pressed keys of mm6, sound was coming out from speakers. (when i selected all midi in as input and microsoft midi mapper as output in midi track) but only one piano sound.when I disconnected audio cables sound was coming still. So I think audio cable were not working.
No sound in audio track at all.

So where I’m going wrong?
1/4” mono jack at the both end is audio cable,am i right?
I want to get all the sounds of mm6 in cubase Le. How can I do that.

Please Help.
Thanks,
D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2008 @ 07:08 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Problem in recording wtih mm6 & Fastrack pro

Lets deal with MIDI first…
If you are going to use the Fastrack pro as your USB-MIDI interface then you use its driver.

It was (is) not necessary because the MM6 has a built-in USB-MIDI interface.

You have to choose which one you are going to use. If you use the Fastrack Pro then you connect the MM6 to it via standard MIDI cables and forget about the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver. Set the MM6 to MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI

If you are choose to connect the MM6 directly to your computer via USB then you will need the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver and you would set the MM6 to MIDI IN/OUT = USB

You have to choose… it is up to you.

You are going to use the Fastrack Pro as your audio interface… The MM6 does not send audio via USB (only MIDI)
So you connect the audio outputs of the MM6 to the audio inputs of the Fastrack Pro - using 1/4” cables.

The Fastrack Pro is the method you are going to use to get audio (sound) - please follow the documentation of that device for the best way to proceed with setting up to get audio with your system.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 23, 2008 @ 12:00 PM
desai309
Joined  12-31-2007

Thanks ...

I knew that mm6 has a built-in USB-MIDI interface. but I found that I cannot transfer all the mm6 sounds to computer without audio interface. ( Am I right?) and also sound card on my laptop is ordinary. So I decided to buy an external soundcard (M-audio Fastrack Pro).
So, according to you, I don’t have to worry about yamaha usb-midi driver, cause I’m using fastrack pro as usb-midi interface.

I read the fastrack pro manual, but i couldn’t find anything about transferring sound.
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdA7uH-IIPc]http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdA7uH-IIPc [/url]
As shown In this video, I need to set mm6 in midi device setup.
but I don’t know how to do that. there’s no mm6 as an installed devices. there are some other pre-installed devices like D-50 Roland, yamaha 9000 Pro,....
Do you know how to install mm6 as midi device in cubase?

I’m getting fastrack Pro option in the column in which the guy in this video is getting yamaha mm6. I couldn’t find mm6 or it’s sounds, though I selected fastrack pro in that.

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2008 @ 07:24 AM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007

YOur midi device is the fast track, NOT the mm6. When setting up your midi, pick the fastrack as your midi device.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2008 @ 05:20 PM
desai309
Joined  12-31-2007

Ok.
I did that too.
I selected fastrack pro as midi input and output, but still I’m not getting mm6 sounds. I don’t know what to do for that.
Can you help me… please?
And also can anyone tell me how to record in audio track (not the vocal,
just synthesizer recording..)
Thanks…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2008 @ 12:50 AM
martin-cro
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-08-2006

I’m not sure what You want to do.

If You want to record audio output from your MM6 then You don’t need MIDI, just connect audio output from MM6 to audio input on Your audio-card (internal if You have one, or on your M-Audio sound card), start Cubase, select audio input and record. If this is the case, You don’t need MIDI connection, because You record audio only (and it might be any audio source).

If You want to record MIDI sequence from your MM6, then You have two solutions:

a] connect your MM6 through USB-to-host cable with Your computer, install Yamaha USB-to-MIDI driver on Your PC, select this driver as MIDI-IN in Cubase, and record the sequence.

b] connect your MM6 MIDI-OUT to MIDI-IN of your M-Audio card, select M-Audio MIDI-IN in Cubase, and record the sequence

As You can see, You don’t need M-Audio card for connection MM6 to PC via MIDI (because they both use USB connection for transferring MIDI to PC. Also notice that in solution b] You have to connect MM6 and M-Audio with MIDI-to-MIDI cables, which You might not have (solution a] uses standard USB-to host cable and MIDI communication is implemented in the driver).

Finally, if you record audio output (the one that You don’t need MIDI connection for) You can listen it on your PC or anywhere else without problems (it’s standard audio signal), while, if You record MIDI sequence, You will have to listen it with MM6 connected to your computer, because MIDI sequence records only MIDI events (note on, note off, etc...) and only MM6 have appropriate sounds.

Guess this helped a bit.

Goog luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2008 @ 11:33 AM
desai309
Joined  12-31-2007

Thanks Martin.
Here, I’m trying to explain the things again.

1) mm6 to computer through USB.
I tried to connect mm6 to computer through USB cable. for that I downloaded mm6 driver too. but I was not getting the mm6 sounds. and also when I played for recording It was fine but when I listened to the recorded piece it was terrible ( too different from what I played).
(Many people said that Vista is the problem.)

2) mm6 to computer through Fastrack pro (midi cables)
I bought fastrack pro because I found that my laptop soundcard is not good enough. but when I connected mm6 to computer through fastack pro (midi cable), it was terrible again. there was lot of latency. and also I was not getting mm6 sounds. (actually I don’t know how to get mm6 sounds in cubase Le)

3) mm6 to computer through Fastrack pro (audio cable connection)
In this connection I was not getting any sound at all.
I have some questions in this connection. You said that It’s standard audio signal. So i don’t have to worry about mm6 sounds, do I?
Cause I will record audio from mm6 with it’s sounds. Is that right?
if it’s right it will work for me, but still im not able to record in audio track.

Is it Vista which is causing all the problem?
I want to try all the things in windows xp, but I don’t have any computer with xp.

again Thanks for your help.
D

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2008 @ 01:24 PM
martin-cro
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-08-2006

desai309,

I am still puzzled about what you want to achieve.

You keep talking about “not getting mm6 sounds”, but what do you mean by that?

Do you want to hear mm6 sounds on Your PC?

If that is the case, you can only do this by recording audio output from your mm6 to the PC (by connecting audio out from mm6 to audio in of your M-Audio card).

In step 1) where you connected mm6 to your computer via USB cable, you said you recorded your performance but when listened to it, it sounded horrible.

You have to know that it’s perfectly O.K. Why? Because MIDI transfers only notes, not sound samples, so when you play it on PC it sounds awful (because PC doesn’t have sound samples and sound engine of mm6).

To “fix” this “problem” You have to set MIDI OUT of Your Cubase LE to mm6 before playing the recorded piece. So when you replay recorded MIDI file, all the notes will be sent from PC to Your mm6, and You will hear your performance properly sounded, from mm6 speakers, or from the speakers connected to Your audio card (if You previously connect audio-out from mm6 to audio-in of the M-Audio, and speakers to audio-out of M-Audio).

To summarize:

- MIDI cables are for recording notes, and they cannot transfer sound from mm6 to PC
- audio cables are for recording sound, but cannot record note (and other) event
- there is no way to transfer sound samples from mm6 to PC for playing it on PC side in same way they are played on mm6 (actually there is a way but too complicated, to expensive, and totally useless)

If you are not getting any sound when you connect mm6 audio-out to M-Audio audio-in, first check if the mm6 outputs are working (connect them to some audio line and see if there is sound when you play the keyboard).

Then, if this step is OK, check the Cubase LE if it is all set-up properly for recording audio input (forget about MIDI You don’t need it), and that should be all.

Good luck again.

P.S. Although I don’t think anything good about Vista (yet another half-finished MS OS with high expectations, released to users to beta-test it) I don’t think Vista has anything to do with Your problems.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MM6 and Motif Rack ES midi setup problem?
Next Topic:

UUUUGGGGHHHH ››