mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Recording Motif XS8 songs into Logic"

Posted on: April 12, 2008 @ 10:31 AM
nickb_rock
Total Posts:  11
Joined  03-29-2008

Hi everyone,

I just bought my motif XS8 last week and I have recorded my first song into the motif sequencer.
I want to be able to record all the midi information using mLAN into logic.
I’ve figured out how to use logic to record one track of midi in voice mode, when I’m just messing around, but how do I sync the two together to record a 16 channel song from the motif, into logic?

On the Utility page of the Motif I have set up the following:
I/O:  mLan Monitor Setup ----> with PC (DirectMonitor)
Control (MIDI):  Interface ----> internal
Sync-----> internal
Control (REMOTE):  DAW Type ----> Logic

I have downloaded all of the latest drivers and software for my Motif on my MacBook Pro.

Hope this wasn’t too confusing. Basically I just want my song I recorded in the motif, into logic. From logic I want to be able to hit play, and have the sounds come out of the motif.

If it makes any difference, I’m using a 2.6GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM and Logic Pro 8.0.1

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2008 @ 08:53 AM
PhillipK
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-25-2006

Re: Recording Motif XS8 songs into Logic

This is possible using the USB midi interface, ( if the XS behaves the way the other boards work, mLan is for audio). Still there are better ways of going about this. You should use the sequencer in Logic and remove the step of transfering the data. Logic will send all the info to the XS and trigger the XS sounds and you get to use all the power and flexability in Logic for your midi editing. I am sure the interface is much better than the other boards but still not as
powerful as Logics so why not start there?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2008 @ 10:50 AM
nickb_rock
Joined  03-29-2008

Well mLan also appears to be sending MIDI. It is NOT the absolute wrong way to go about this. I bought the $3200 Motif XS8 because it’s a workstation and I can use its built in sequencer when I’m not in the studio, or when I’m away from my mac. Otherwise, I might as well have bought a $399 controller and some plug-ins. Seems kind of wrong to say I’m not supposed to use my Motif XS8 for creating songs with its sequencer.

Yes I realize Logic’s sequencer is much more powerful and robust, but I bought the Motif XS8 because I want to be able to quickly record something without a computer or anything else to bother me and just focus on the music. I want to be able to record something when I’m at rehearsals, then go back and transfer it all into logic and tweak the [censored] out of it in the studio.

Thanks for your quick reply, though I still want to know how to go about this. I need to transfer the song I made in my Motif into Logic to edit all of it, and work on it more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 15, 2008 @ 10:09 PM
PhillipK
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-25-2006

Hey Nick, I am sorry I did not mean that it was the wrong way to do
it, I was just trying to help you avoid a transer if you did not need to do
it. Since you are using the EX like a scratch pad, I now understand your
need to do the transfer. Since I do not work this way I am unaware
of the steps though I believe it is covered in the manual, I will have a
look and see what I can come up with.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2008 @ 07:19 AM
smpaudio
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-03-2008

I also disagree that you should just “use the sequencer in Logic”.  In addition to the portability issue you mentioned, the XS8 has an incredibly cool Song engine that lets you improvise new songs quickly and easily.  This can not be easily done using Logic as the front end. I’ve been using sequencers since 1988, and I have learned that just because something is bigger and more powerful doesn’t mean it’s always the best application for every job.

The simplicity of the Motif sequencer make it VERY appealing for songwriting on the go. 

All of this said, I too am looking for an easier way of transferring data from the XS into Logic, preferably as a data file rather than realtime recording.

I’ve tried the realtime method, and for whatever reason it seems that the notes all make it in to Logic, but on playback it doesn’t sound the same- the balance is different, and it seems that things like arpeggios and delay FX don’t sync up the same.  The best way to do this would probably be with a standard MIDI file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2008 @ 05:01 PM
nickb_rock
Joined  03-29-2008

Hey Nick, I am sorry I did not mean that it was the wrong way to do
it, I was just trying to help you avoid a transer if you did not need to do
it. Since you are using the EX like a scratch pad, I now understand your
need to do the transfer. Since I do not work this way I am unaware
of the steps though I believe it is covered in the manual, I will have a
look and see what I can come up with.

It’s alright dude. I totally understand! Sorry if I seemed like a jerk, I just get ticked when people reply telling me I shouldn’t be doing something a certain way, when it’s one of the reasons I bought it.
I’d appreciate any help on the subject, I’m sure a lot of people are browsing through here wondering the same thing (like smpaudio) and would like to know how to do it…

Or maybe everyone else knows and I’m just retarded…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ l8 with es8
Next Topic:

Motif XS with a PC or Mac? ››