mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FC3 Pedal Squeaks!"

Posted on: April 09, 2008 @ 05:07 AM
karlman23
Total Posts:  167
Joined  09-30-2007

Is there any way I can oil my FC3 pedal? Because it squeaks and that is very annoying when playing a soft solo piano piece. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2008 @ 06:08 AM
canadave
Total Posts:  304
Joined  07-11-2007

Re: FC3 Pedal Squeaks!

I am really curious about the answer to this question, because I’ve noticed exactly the same thing with my FC3.  The squeak is really pronounced....not good /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2008 @ 07:22 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

Same here…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2008 @ 08:57 AM
Ruke
Total Posts:  226
Joined  07-22-2003

My FC3 pedal has speaked with my CP-300 from the beginning (Dec. 2006).  Very annoying indeed…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2008 @ 09:24 AM
tbeltrans
Total Posts:  124
Joined  04-01-2008

Since I just got my FC3 pedal (and it doesn’t squeak), I am wondering if this is something that developed over time (except for the poster who said his did it from the beginning).

Thanks,

Tony

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2008 @ 12:14 PM
Acts7
Total Posts:  2586
Joined  11-04-2003

there was a post on this about 6 months ago.
the outcome was basically to spray some wd40 into the joints.

QUESTION: can blindly spraying wd40 into the space around the pedal damage the circuitry or wiring?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2008 @ 02:26 PM
John C.
Total Posts:  15
Joined  08-05-2007

I had the same problem and contacted Yamaha. They advised me to add grease to the pivot points inside the housing. I confirmed that all 8 screws on the bottom of the pedal had to be removed in order to access the guts and that it wouldn’t shoot springs and small parts when it was dismantled. After I got it apart I decided to just redistribute some of the excess grease that was already in there. It probably wouldn’t be a good idea to randomly shoot lube around inside if for no other reason than it would tend to attract dirt and eventually start leaking out the bottom of the pedal housing. When you reassemble the pedal, just use a delicate touch to get the metal base plate to seat inside the black housing and get the screw holes to line back up. Mercifully, a pretty straightforward fix!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2008 @ 01:02 AM
robbie50
Total Posts:  283
Joined  09-14-2007

I use a Roland pedal (for about 5 years), it’s never squeaks!
In the picture you can see the modification I’ve made, to let it works with my XS.

Old wireconnection from left to right;
white, black and red

NEW wireconnection from left to right;
red, white and black....
it’s works fine!!

robbie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2008 @ 03:36 AM
karlhp
Total Posts:  20
Joined  07-11-2007

Do not spray WD40 into the joints!
In such application the WD40 will do more harm then good in the long run (possibly even in short run).

The joints must be greased sparingly or by redistributing existing grease as suggested by John C.

Regards,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2008 @ 03:42 AM
John C.
Total Posts:  15
Joined  08-05-2007

Okay, just because I can play music doesn’t mean I can count. There are actually 10 screws on the underside of the pedal, not eight. And yes, they all need to come out! Apologies to anyone who was scratching their head over my previous post…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2008 @ 05:57 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When in doubt, call for help. Thanks for sharing John C. It is mechanical and can develop squeaks - the grease can become dislodged or redistributed in a foot pedal (after all it gets kicked around down there on the floor, thrown, dropped whatever)… not to mention dust…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2008 @ 01:17 PM
Acts7
Total Posts:  2586
Joined  11-04-2003

thanks for the clarification!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2008 @ 03:29 PM
robbie50
Total Posts:  283
Joined  09-14-2007

I use a Roland pedal (for about 5 years), it’s never squeaks!

Maybe the construction is better then the Yamaha pedal....
Try it......I’m happy with it!

robbie

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 13, 2008 @ 06:46 PM
vanillawafer
Total Posts:  126
Joined  07-01-2007

I have two of the FC3 pedals and both of them have been squeaky from the beginning, and I mean VERY squeaky loud.  Thanks for the tip on the Roland I’m going to give it a try.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 14, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
jasonmitchell
Total Posts:  83
Joined  09-30-2006

My FC3 pedal has squeaked from day one.  I contacted Yamaha, and they replied that they were aware of no problem with the pedal, and that yes, I could lubricate it.  If that didn’t solve the problem, they said they could sell me a new one.  Thanks a lot, huh?  This has been my only disappointing experience with Yamaha.  I think it’s a defective design, and I’m surprised both that they don’t offer a remedy to all of us who already own a squeaky pedal, and that they continue (apparently) to sell them.  Yamaha is too excellent a company to let any product taint their reputation.  They should stand behind any product they sell if it proves unusable.

Here’s a question, though:  Would Vaseline be a better lubricant to use on this pedal?  I used either WD40 or a silicone spray (I can’t remember which), and the squeak returned almost immediately.  I’m thinking that the higher viscosity of Vaseline might make it stay where you apply it for a longer amount of time.  The thin nature of spray lubricants allows them just to move from the target area.  Any opinions?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ L/R outputs on my XS have a nasty buzz
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››