mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Anyone running Sonar 5 with Vista?"

Posted on: March 20, 2008 @ 04:42 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

I am thinking about a new laptop, and of course Vista is pretty much what you get these days. Any nightmare problems to report? I will be running at 32 bit and will be using a Tascam US144 as a USB sound card interface. I checked their website and they do have Vista drivers for it.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2008 @ 07:02 PM
supermanrulez
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-30-2003

Re: Anyone running Sonar 5 with Vista?

I would go to the the link below and do a search using Vista.  There are more than enough comments regarding vista and Sonar.  Unfortunately most of them are not good.  Good luck.  I use Sonar 7 PE but won’t take the chance with Vista since some many developers don’t support Vista, I wouldn’t be able to run alot of my applications.

[url=http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=5]http://forum.cakewalk.com/tt.asp?forumid=5 [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2008 @ 09:07 AM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

Yeah thanks. I took a look over at Cake’s forum last night, and while there are plenty of comments, I did not see any that were all that helpful. I’m not surprised by that, as each computer / soundcard / software combination is different, so each will have different problem potentials. What I did come away with is that some users had good luck, and others did not. Kinda like XP was (and still is in some cases) not so many years ago. The real issue seems to be the hope of a solution. At least with XP there are lots of applications and a large base of users over time that have figured things out. I suppose we’ll eventually get there with Vista, but it will probably take a few years at least.

What does not help is that most DAW programs are really not that stable to begin with. Look at all the software updates that Cubase is going through right now. And all of this on a well known platform.

Computer use with music is the future, but the path there is not for the faint hearted, to be sure.

Thanks for the comments.

Bob

p.s. Cakewalk as page dedicated to Vista. Very informative. From what I can figure, you need at least Sonar 6.2 to utilize all the features. Would still love to know if anyone is running 5.2. Here’s the link. 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2008 @ 04:40 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

As a straw poll, I can tell you that I’ve been running PE7 on Vista for a few months now, and haven’t encountered any problems… It’s been Rock Solid.

My computer, though, is used for nothing but the DAW applications, though… Trying to keep it clean…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2008 @ 06:28 AM
SpongeBob
Joined  11-19-2006

Thanks, Tony. That’s good news. Are you using Firewire or USB for your audio path, and if you don’t mind, what brand are you using? Drivers make all the difference in this world, and yours must be well implemented.

Thanks!

By the way, I installed the Sonar 7 web trial. The interface is a bit different, but acceptable. Most important, I ran a Sonar 5 to 7 test with the same VST’s and plugs running and found that 7 handles this load about 20% better than 5 on the same machine. That’s cool.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2008 @ 11:28 AM
supermanrulez
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-30-2003

I would make sure your softsynth applications have vista drivers and make sure they will run in Sonar 7 with Vista.  This is a problem for many Sonar users and one of my biggest concerns.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2008 @ 11:40 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

I’m using quite a few USB devices (the MOTIF RACK, my M-AUDIO KSP88, a couple of other MIDI interfaces, etc.) For my AUDIO interface, I’m using an M-AUDIO FireWire 410.  I use its SP/DIF interface for the ES-RACK, and the Analog inputs for my MICs and VL70m.

I only use two of the outputs; they go into my Yamaha analog mixing console thence to some M-AUDIO BX8a Studio Monitors.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Audition voices in Sonar patch list
Next Topic:

Studio Connections and Sonar setup ››