mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sync tempo of arpeggiator with Sonar Home Studio"

Posted on: March 18, 2008 @ 11:43 AM
curtisf55@gmail.com
Total Posts:  31
Joined  03-10-2008

I have Sonar Home Studio 6 running on XP with a Motif XS 6.  How do I sync the tempo of an arpeggiator on the XS with the tempo I have set in Home Studio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2008 @ 05:06 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Re: Sync tempo of arpeggiator with Sonar Home Studio

Ya gotta do two things:

Tell the XS that it’s getting its SYNC Source via MIDI. 

Then, tell SONAR that IT’s the master, and also configure it to send SYNC/CLOCK data to the MIDI devices.

Go to OPTIONS, PROJECT OPTIONS, click the SYNC tab, and ensure that “TRANSMIT MIDI START/CONTINUE/STOP/CLOCK” is CHECKED.

Then make sure that your specific MIDI device that’s connected to the XS is CHECKED in the MIDI SYNC OUTPUT PORTS list below.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2008 @ 10:40 AM
curtisf55@gmail.com
Joined  03-10-2008

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2008 @ 07:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you are attempting to record the Arpeggio Out to SONAR - it is quite a bit more complex than you might initially think.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2008 @ 08:19 AM
curtisf55@gmail.com
Joined  03-10-2008

I don’t want to “create” an arpeggiator in Sonar.  I just want to use the ones that are already on the Motif and assign them to a track in Sonar.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2008 @ 05:22 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

As you will discover recording the Arpeggios as MIDI data is the deep end of the pool. It is not clear from your post if this is what you are attempting to do.

Recording them as audio is easy and fairly straight ahead (if you have an audio interface setup).
But sending the MIDI data to an external sequencer is the deep end of the pool.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2008 @ 05:33 AM
curtisf55@gmail.com
Joined  03-10-2008

I’m not trying to do anything complicated (I don’t think).  I’m hoping I’ve just missed something in my setup.  All I want to do is assign a midi track in Sonar an existing arpeggiator voice on the motif.  Then play a note on the motif (recorded in Sonar) and have it play a Motif arpeggio until I let the key go.  Then play another note (recorded in Sonar) and have it play the same arpeggio from the Motif until I let the key go.  That’s all.  I don’t want to record or create a new arpeggio.  My problem is that I can’t “find” any arpeggios in my sonar instrument list for the motif.  I downloaded the XS instrument list from this site.  I’ve also done a midi dump from the motif.  But I just can’t see any arpeggiator voices.

I also want to make sure that when I let go of a key (recorded in Sonar) that the arpeggiator stops playing so it’s only the length of the midi event.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2008 @ 03:24 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t know about a Sonar Instrument list but the XS has over 6,000 arpeggios to choose from. I guess you are referring to an instrument definitions - which is basically just a list of names and program changes… the arpeggios are separate from the Voice and any of the 6,633 arps can be assigned to any Voice - they are not tied to a Voice, per se. That said, you can when you place a VOICE in a MIXING setup have it recall the arps that were associated with it back in VOICE mode - but your Instrument Defintion has nothing to do with recalling arpeggios.

We will assume you have the Motif XS in [SONG] > [MIXING] or [PATTERN] > [MIXING] mode (as these are the modes where the XS is multi-timbral and can receive on multiple MIDI channels.

Arps do not automatically follow from VOICE mode into the MIXING setup… but here’s how to recall them:

If you want a Voice to bring along its assigned arpeggios (that is, those assigned in VOICE mode). You must first set the “Parameter with Voice” to ON
Press [EDIT]
Press the Track select button [1]-[16] that corresponds to the PART you want to use.
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE
set the “Param. with Voice” to ON
Then when you move the cursor up to the Voice Selection (Bank and Number) and select a Voice it will retain it arpeggios.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/330183-chillnKeyPattPart1.JPG

From there…
Press [F2] ARP MAIN
Set the SWITCH = ON
Set HOLD = OFF

Setting HOLD to OFF will assure that the arp stops when note-off is received.

At the bottom of the screen you can select your ARP by Category and Sub Category

STORE your MIXING setup.

You will want to set Sonar to send MIDI Clock to the Motif XS and you will want to set the Motif XS clock sync = AUTO
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set MIDI SYNC = AUTO

The XS arpeggio pattern will follow the clock of Sonar. A note on event will trigger the start of the arp and when the note ends the arp will stop.

Any four PARTS can be set with arpeggios.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
curtisf55@gmail.com
Joined  03-10-2008

That let’s me play the ARP now.  But it doesn’t stop when the note off occurs.  I have to let the track finish playing, then hit the space bar again (after the song has stopped playing).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2008 @ 09:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Make sure you have the ARP MAIN screen set so that HOLD is OFF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2008 @ 04:47 AM
curtisf55@gmail.com
Joined  03-10-2008

I went back and checked all the settings and confirmed that they were correct.  But I found something that I -did- miss.  I only get the arp to play when I’m in voice mode.  When I’m in song mode I get the instrument I want, but no arp.  When I’m in voice mode, I get the arp, but it doesn’t stop when the the track ends.  The arp just keeps playing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2008 @ 12:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Again, you should be in SONG or PATTERN MIXING mode - it is really the most flexible when you are working with a sequencer - internal or external.

There are several steps you are probably missing.

1) there is the main ARPEGGIO ON/OFF button located to the left of the screen and to the right of the knobs, that must be activated for any arpeggios to happen

2) next there is the Arp Switch on the PART in question - remember four Parts can have their arpeggios happening simultaneously - if you set the switch on and if you send it a trigger note in the correct note limit region

3) You must be sending clock from the external sequencer. Most computer sequencers do not send clock automatically, you must turn it on and often the transport must be running

4) you must have the Motif XS set to either MIDI clock or AUTO… AUTO is recommended because it allows you to hear the arpeggios even when the transport of the master clock is stopped (purely convenience)

5) Each PART of a SONG or PATTERN can be set as to how the arp behaves. Switch and Hold parameters.

Sorry if you cannot get this to work - it should be working. IF you reveiw it again please document each setting that you do have. And forget about Voice mode, get it to work in SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING mode - unless you only want to play one sound from your XS.  The fact that it works in VOICE mode for you but doesn’t stop means either that HOLD is ON or you have some other MIDI problems with your setup.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2008 @ 02:12 PM
curtisf55@gmail.com
Joined  03-10-2008

Ok.  After -multiple- checks, here’s what I have.

1. The Motif is in Song / Mixing mode.
2. Arp button is ON.
3. The arp is turned on for the correct part.
4. I set Sonar to send the clock info to the Motif (which wasn’t the default).
5. I have the XS clock set to Auto (in Utilities).
6. I’ve set the Switch and Hold parameters as you noted.

I’m sure it’s just one setting somewhere that isn’t right.  But it’s hiding quite well.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ need sonar instrument def. for motif es8
Next Topic:

Studio Connections and Sonar setup ››