mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha MM8 released!"

Page 1 of 4
Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 11:52 AM
Leigh B
Total Posts:  213
Joined  02-04-2005

Probably mentioned elsewhere in the forum, but I put a topic here as it relates the most to it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[url=http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/mm8/index.html]http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/mm8/index.html [/url]

Looks pretty cool.  Very light and a possible gig board???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 11:57 AM
Enigmatic
Total Posts:  470
Joined  01-24-2007

Re: Yamaha MM8 released!

Sweet.  Feels like xmas all of sudden. 

The XS rack also has been released.  I found that out today as well /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 01:26 PM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

Two words:

Caveat emptor…

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 06:47 PM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007

Wow. It seems to be EXACTLY the same, except it comes with a newer version of Cubase.

I was expecting the 88key to be a lil fancier. Nope!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 05:20 AM
squeak_D
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-24-2005

Man, it’s just the same freakin thing as the MM6, but with 88 keys /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt= Geez, I wouldn’t be surprised if Yammy put a $1000 price tag on this thing. 

COME ON YAMAHA!!!! What gives man..?  You can add an 88 graded keybed, yet you can’t up the freakin poly to at least 64 notes?  Even at 64 note poly the MM6 won’t compete with the MO8 /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 06:08 AM
Leigh B
Joined  02-04-2005

I’ve never really paid much attention to the mm6 and this part of the forums, but the general view seems pretty negative, especially on sounds (only some motif sounds used, bad MIDI implimentation, PSR qualities about it, can’t control the organ Leslie effect with Mod wheel, etc), which I didn’t know about (I always thought the mm6 was a new keyboard, with motif sounds/engine on board).

However, this is pretty lightweight (15kgs) and has the amazing power grand piano sound (listen or watch the Toto’s 25th Aniversary concert in Amsterdam from 2003).  This looks like it could be a great stage Piano for those on a budget, but with more sounds than, say a P60, but with the same weight to carry about.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 07:02 AM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

hmm...so is this an MM8 (the one below)

http://www.toto99.com/reviews/images/25threviews/greg5munich.jpg

The MM6 has beautiful piano (same as a the classic motif) samples.  It lacks the dynamics of the ES or XS piano, but it not nearly as harsh or clangy.  Thats one reason i love my classic motif and MM6 as well.  MM6 has many newer sounds which i wish my classic motif had…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 07:06 AM
Leigh B
Joined  02-04-2005

No, thats an original Motif 8 /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif alt= /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

I was probably vauge with the previous post, but what I meant was that it has the same Power Grand sound as used in the original Motif, and the best example I know of is Toto on it’s Amsterdam concert I have /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 07:58 AM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

I dont have the Motif 8, but the color is almost the same as MM8.  The MM6 does have a lot of samples from classic Motif, including the piano samples. 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 05:34 PM
moontom
Total Posts:  44
Joined  02-03-2003

hmm, let’s see. in the 18 months since the MM6 arrived, has Yamaha responded in a proactive way to any—ANY—user concerns about this instrument?

just a few highlights: no portamento. no loop capability. intentionally crippled MIDI implementation. no quantize. no ability to switch drum kits on internal or USB resident patterns. (hey gurus! still waiting to hear from you on that last one....see next forum topic...)

and let me make sure I understand: none of those things are addressed/fixed in the MM8? it’s the MM6 guts w/ 88 keys?
wow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 05:34 PM
moontom
Total Posts:  44
Joined  02-03-2003

hmm, let’s see. in the 18 months since the MM6 arrived, has Yamaha responded in a proactive way to any—ANY—user concerns about this instrument?

just a few highlights: no portamento. no loop capability. intentionally crippled MIDI implementation. no quantize. no ability to switch drum kits on internal or USB resident patterns. (hey gurus! still waiting to hear from you on that last one....see next forum topic...)

and let me make sure I understand: none of those things are addressed/fixed in the MM8? it’s the MM6 guts w/ 88 keys?
wow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 08:08 PM
Cygnus64
Joined  02-27-2007

Yup, its an mm6 with more keys!!

I’m a bit surprised. I assume it means that the mm6 sold pretty well?

Ive never heard of an 88 key budget board. I wouldnt mind having ann 88 key version with weighted keys, but its a lil too late. It just seems a bit bizarre having a big, weighted board with a budget synth attached.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2008 @ 04:01 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

My thing is “how much are they gonna charge for this one?” I was totally shocked at how much they were charging for the MM6 considering all of its limitations, build quality, and PSR roots.  Now they’re adding 88 graded hammer action keys to it.  I’m betting on a price of $800-$1000 for this model.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2008 @ 07:09 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Just a point of order: The MM6 remains one of the best selling keyboards on the planet. In spite of what you (as an individual) may see as limitations, it remains one of the best selling keyboards on the planet. Nothing you say is going to change that… it is right on point for a large base of customers.

If you need more features you can move up the product line to something like a MO6/MO8, or if you need a full expandable workstation you can move the the Motif XS. This is called a product line.  This is technical stuff - but when offering products in the marketplace you cannot just have one product - you can study any type of manufacturing for examples of this concept. Cars, Televisions, iPODs, telephones… and yes musical instruments…

You have to (kind of) have some sense of the market, beyond just your own, if you want to discuss product line-ups from a manufacturer’s perspective. However, if you are playing “customer”, then, as always, simply do your research (that is why you have local retail outlets) and buy the product that does what you desire at the price point that you reside.

If you do not need patterns, or sequencing or anything like that we have the S-series. The S90 ES, the S08.

The Graded Hammer action on the MM8 is a big deal. But only if you know about playing piano… if you don’t play piano, it may not be important for you… but our research says that many, many users of these products used to, or still do, play piano - and not only that, they desire a quality weighted keyboard action.

One of the best selling “home” keyboard lines on the planet is the YDP-625 and its predecessors … it is “furniture” item (means: it does not go to the local bar with you), built around an arranger engine… (If you don’t travel in that world or stop in that department of the store, you may be totally unaware of the number of units sold… Next time you’re in your local store, ask.
Yikes!!!

The MM8 is like YDP that got hip and can go to the GIG! It has a more professional (and targeted) sound engine and definitely a more targeted Style function. The sound engine rocks… no doubt. If the “bells and whistles” are not to your requirements, I’m confident there is another product in the vast Yamaha arsenal that offers what you require. If not, then that is what we want to hear about (doesn’t mean we’ll make it) but trust me we are on the look out for just such trends.

If a keyboard is not where you are at… simple, look elsewhere, the fact remains that the numbers don’t lie… Just some facts… added to your speculation.

My 2 and a half cents!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2008 @ 08:47 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

With all do respect BM, numbers don’t mean anything to (we the consumer) when your potential target base ARE the one’s who are complaining about the limitations of this keyboard. 

Initial sales are one thing, but it’s the reports of users “after the purchase” that IMO truly speaks more than actual “volume sold”.  There are many user reports out there by (your target base) who have openly said they feel as if they were duped.

Let’s be honest here BM..., the MM6’s marketing is A LOT of the problem here.  Sorry, but in my opinion it’s by no means a Mini Mo.  A “true Mini Mo” is the M06/MO8.  Those are the true and real Mini Mo’s because they share much more in common with a Motif than this PSR/MM6. 

Users were expecting a Mini Mo, and what they got is a cheap PSR with some motif flavored sounds, crippled midi, and a Mini Mo that functions not like a Mo at all, but a cheap PSR.

I honestly respect your position BM.  I really do, but the MM6 didn’t and does not live up to its name and what it’s marketed as.

It doesn’t take a business degree BM to see that this MM6 is also a marketing ploy that Yamaha is using to boost the sales of the MO series.  Your responses alone justify that statement, as on more than one occasion when the many negative issues about the MM6 not doing this, not doing that were brought up someone from Yamaha always says.., if you want to do this then buy the MO6/MO8. 

It would be one thing if there wasn’t a HUGE gap between the two models, but the MM6 compared to the MO series is like comparing a Casio WK-3800 to a Roland Juno-G.  They’re so far apart in terms of features and operation.  It’s like saying if this apple isn’t exactly the way you like it, then buy this orange.  Get my point?

Squeak

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2008 @ 09:02 AM
Cygnus64
Joined  02-27-2007

Bad Mister,

since nearly all the members of this forum OWN an mm6, it seems like you might be preachin to the choir! Sure, there is some whining here, and then there are folks like Enigmatic (and hopefully myself) who come here to learn, share knowledge with others, and are using the product to the best of their abilities and doing good stuff.

As far as research, there is only so much you can do at Guitar Center with screaming kids and the noise. Particularly when the mm6 came out, one could only assume that certain features that came on practically every keyboard in ANY price range would come on this one too. I think quite a few of us were quite surprised when they did not.  I think my $240 FB01 from 21 years ago had portamento, mono mode and the ability to name patches if my memory serves correctly. Considering that, it doesnt have to do as much with research as it does with clairvoyance since there was/is no way to know that basic features would not be included.

I’m still a big fan of the mm6 and use mine every day. Most of us here are realistic and are not expecting an XS for 500 bucks, we know better. The mm6 had a good price point, sounds good and we bought it. All most of us are doing is pointing out a few baffling flaws, since a lot of us have been using Yamaha products for years and own many.

Lots of stuff is the “best selling on the planet”. Walmart does very well! I think people were just hoping that the extension of the MM line addressed these slight issues, and were a bit surprised that they didnt. It cant possibly be THAT hard to put in a feature for naming performances if my DX21 from when Reagan was president could do it.

When people say “go up to the MO line”, it seems a bit ridiculous to spend 500 dollars more for a feature that is worth 50 cents and standard on every keyboard, yet a very important feature (which is why every keyboard has it).

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 4

Previous Topic:

‹‹ my new mm6
Next Topic:

saving songs ››