mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif 8 and Logic 8"

Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 10:37 AM
metalguitar1
Total Posts:  1
Joined  03-10-2008

I’ve tried for hours to plug in my Motif 8 “Classic” to my Macbook via USB port and it won’t work. I’m running Leopard 10.5.2. I downloaded Yamaha’s recent generic midi driver but my computer doesn’t seem to be recognizing it. There’s no icon like if I were to plug in an external hard drive and my midi setup isn’t recognizing it, but the drivers are in there. Please help!

2 other questions:

1.Can you setup Motif 8’s 4 zones for different midi patches?

2. Is it possible to record the Motif’s voices into a song in Logic instead of just using it as a controller?

Any help would be appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 10:46 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Motif 8 and Logic 8

1) Logic Pro 8 will recognize any device setup in OS X’s Audio Midi Setup. When properly installed, the Yamaha USB Driver should be auto-configured by Audio Midi Setup; and, it will appear there. It will be grayed out unless the Motif is connected.

So, even though the driver is on your computer, it is not properly installed. I would go through the readme file or whatever documentation came with the driver to completely uninstall, trash it, reboot and reinstall the driver.

2) Audio Midi Setup will recognize the USB driver but, not the keyboard. It must be manually setup in AMS.

So from the Desktop, hold down both ‘Command’ + ‘Shift’ + ‘U’. Open the Audio MIDI Setup. Choose the MIDI Devices Tab.

Select ‘Add Device’. An item appears called ‘new external device’. Double-click the first device. Type ‘Motif’ as the Device Name. You can select Yamaha as the manufacturer. Apply the changes and close…

3) Move it (the Motif Device) directly under the Yamaha USB Driver Device (it should be there once the driver is installed correctly). There is at least one set of small triangles at the bottom which represent MIDI ports.

Place your cursor at the left downfacing triangle (out port) and drag to the left triangle of the Motif Device (in port). It draws a cable. Draw just the one and- Close ‘AMS’…

4) Open Logic 8 and create and external instrument the Motif should appear in the Media / Library as an option…

Motif8Mine {aka MotifXS8Mine}

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2008 @ 09:06 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Forgot one thing:

If you want to record more than one midi channel at a time (duh), you must do the following:

From the Logic ToolBar select ‘Settings’ {or File> Project Settings};
Click the Recording Tab; check the Auto Demix By Channel…

When you create additional external tracks for the Motif. Select the Motif Instrument from the library as stated above and the corresponding Midi Channel.

When each track is record enabled, the Midi should be distributed to the proper channels- you will notice this when recording stops… Of course, follow the Motif Manual’s instructions about turning off ‘Local’, etc…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2008 @ 11:49 AM
tce
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-18-2008

Thanks for the tips.
I do not have issue with Logic8 to see the XS8 as the Midi Controller.
All I have to do is add XS8 as the controller surface in Logic.  I did not have to setup the XS8 as the object in AMS.

All the drivers are installed.

Question:  Do you know how to configure logic 8 and the XS 8 so I can record as the mLan not MIDI or USB from Xs8 to logic.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2008 @ 02:37 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

The steps above are required into order to properly multi-track record midi. When followed, Logic sets up the XS MIDI Port #2 as a control surface. Also, they are still essential to everything working flawlessly…

In the AMS, select the Audio Devices Tab. When your XS is connected via Firewire is appears in the menus to select as default input and output. (selecting it for System Output causes all of the Macs beeps, etc… to be outputed via MLAN)… Close AMS: this queues Logic to automatically choose MLAN as it’s audio interface / core audio… To check this click on the Preferences on the toolbar; then Audio. On the Core Audio Tab make sure MLAN is selected as the device…

Next… (I’m copying an answer I gave in the Logic Forum)

I’m not near my XS so, I’m doing this from memory but, it is critical that you select the MLAN output channels within the Motif XS. {Manual page 45} For instance, in the XS8- there are 16 mono channels of MLAN audio out (output 1-2, MLAN 1-14) and for each channel used in my ‘Mixing’ on the XS, I select the corresponding MLAN channels as output.

Depending on the voice used in the Motif, I do not necessarily send it as a stereo out via MLAN. For instances, Bass, guitars, and horns that I will stereo process within Logic, etc… And again, only 8 stereo tracks can be sent at a time…

The MLAN connector appears in the AMS within OS X and as such, Logic selects it as the Core Audio when it launches… So, for each audio I channel I’m going to record, I go to the channel’s inspector and select the proper channel as a input. (1-16). They are not labeled as MLAN within the inspector and more than 16 are listed…

I set the tempo within Logic to match the XS’s song tempo and then set the XS to slave. {Via Quick Setup- Manual Page 270}.

I select the channels record buttons, check to make sure each is getting signal, press record on the transport and I’m multitracking…

That should do it…

[ Ignore ]