mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Studio Manager not syncing/connecting at all"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: March 08, 2008 @ 05:49 AM
Proslacker
Total Posts:  13
Joined  03-08-2008

This is odd. I’m running Cubase SX3 (3.1.1), and have installed Studio Manager so I can run it inside SX3.

I am running an M-Audio Audiophile 192 card, and I use its MIDI connectors for my other synths without problems.

SM won’t sync at all, in any way. The ‘help’ file doesn’t really live up to its name. Yes, I can see the page where you select which MIDI ports to use, and it gives me ‘USB 1’ etc. Remote port? What’s that about? Device number?

What on Earth do I pick? I’ve tried all combinations, but no luck.

I user my Roland XV5050 via USB with no problem - it syncs fine. Why not this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2008 @ 06:34 AM
Proslacker
Joined  03-08-2008

Re: Studio Manager not syncing/connecting at all

Wow, I am genuinely amazed. I mean really. I’ve tried everything I can, and it does not work. At all. ‘Wtf’ as they say.

This is truly poor.

Does anyone here actually have this working?

There’s nothing in the manual (either) about how to set-up the computer and Motif, what ports to select etc, what settings to enable on the module etc. Nothing. Zip.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 01:48 AM
Proslacker
Joined  03-08-2008

Ok, so no-one seems to know about this. Odd.

Anyway, I updated the USB driver from the site, and it seems to work now.

Slightly strange; supplying drivers that don’t work with the product. ??

Studio Manager is a bit basic. Can’t see where I access the nitty-gritty functions ie. I like to use my mod wheel to control res/cut-off etc. Is this possible in SM?

Anyone know of a good 3rd party editor for the ES Rack?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 01:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The drivers worked when shipped with the product… But drivers change, just as versions of software change. Now back when Cubase SX3.1.1 was new ... I can’t really recall but there have been several updates to both Cubase and to Studio Manager so what you may have been supplied may be sadly out of date.

The best thing is always to have the latest versions of the program and the driver.

Studio Manager is simply a host product. It does nothing but house the hardware’s Editors. So as the name implies, in a situation where you are working with a computer-based studio, Studio Manager can coordinate the hardware you used for a particular session.

For example, say you have a digital mixer, a few synthesizers and effect processors that you used for a Cubase Project. By opening Studio Manager you could have it house the icons for launching your Editors… shown below you can see a session where I was using the 01X (Digital Mixer), a Motif XS, a Motif ES, a Motif Rack ES and an SPX2000 (effects processor)

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/393118-StudioManager1.JPG

The Studio Manager allows me to launch each Editor as I need it, but more significantly when I go to save the Cubase Project I can have the Studio Manager remember every setting on my mixer, every voice and setting in my synthesizers, and the setup in the effects processor.

when I next open the Cubase Project file (.CPR) Studio Manager will remind me what hardware I was using and it will ask me if I want to restore all the settings to the hardware.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/393119-ConfrimTotalRecall.JPG

So think of Studio Manager as the host application that manages your hardware’s editors.

We assume when you downloaded the Studio Manager program that you also downloaded the Motif-Rack ES (MULTI) and (VOICE) Editors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 01:52 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Graphic

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 01:59 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Can’t see where I access the nitty-gritty functions ie. I like to use my mod wheel to control res/cut-off etc. Is this possible in SM?

Anyone know of a good 3rd party editor for the ES Rack?

The Motif Rack ES Voice Editor is the Motif-Rack ES in a graphic interface… Again we assume that you downloaded this, if not, do so.

It allows you access to all parameters of the Rack ES including controller assignments - see attachment

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2008 @ 03:17 AM
Proslacker
Joined  03-08-2008

Thanks Bad Mister. That’s a very well detailed post!

Just wondering - can I run the voice editor AND the multi editor at the same time? I’ll give it a go this weekend. Very busy at the moment so weekends are my only studio time… /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

I can’t wait to properly explore the Motif. So far I’ve had about 20 mins with it, once I got it working…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 14, 2008 @ 12:03 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes the two editors are made to work together.

From the “Racks” > Behind the Manual section you can find this Power User article on the subject: Using Studio Connections: Recall

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 15, 2008 @ 05:30 AM
Proslacker
Joined  03-08-2008

Yet again this software is FAILING me. What an absolute pile of of this highest order.

I’ve opened an existing Cubase project. I CANNOT control my sounds in the multi programme. I try and change the voice - nothing. I wiggle the fader to try and at least change the velocity of the channel - NOTHING. Somehow it worked the other day.

Is there a basic setting I should have this thing on? My set-up settings in multi are:

MIDI In remote port: Not assigned

MIDI Out remote port: Not assigned

MIDI In port: Yamaha Motif-Rack ES-1

MIDI Out port: Yamaha Motif-Rack ES-1

Device No. : 1

Dump Interval: 15ms

Dial Moue control: Rotate

SURELY this SHOULD work? Or not? What am I doing wrong here?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2008 @ 12:23 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, if you are having problems -

You have a Motif Rack ES. Let me ask you what “fader” you are talking about wiggling… it is not clear.

... also the fader will not change the “velocity of the channel” even if you had a fader. Velocity is how hard you strike a key of your controller.

Please explain, I’ll try and help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2008 @ 07:02 AM
Kingell
Total Posts:  22
Joined  03-13-2008

Just wondering - a couple of simple things like “Did you turn the thing on?”
Have you
Switched the Motif to USB? (Look in the MIDI section p18 handbook)
Clicked on the blue icon (Control panel) to check if it’s working?
Sent a “GM on” message from your software? (Hex 7E 7F 09 01 F7)
Checked the 10 MIDI limit elsewhere on this forum?
Regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2008 @ 09:43 AM
Proslacker
Joined  03-08-2008

Hey, I got it working this weekend.

Yes you cheeky bugger it was switched on… /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Although it does seem to forget its set-up every time I fire it up (not in front of it all right now, but it seems to forget its ins/outs settings, which I have to re-enter every time).

Slowly getting on top of it. Just need it to remember its set-up now…

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2008 @ 11:39 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Although it does seem to forget its set-up every time I fire it up (not in front of it all right now, but it seems to forget its ins/outs settings, which I have to re-enter every time).

Yup, it’ll do that.  Make sure you SAVE the SETUP (within STUDIO MANAGER) when you get it the way you want it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2008 @ 12:36 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Learn how to use the templates. Unless you like making your setups each and everytime you boot up - why not just set everything up once, and then save that as a template

Before you start recording data - simply get everything, Studio Manager, track arrangement, etc. just like you would like to start work tomorrow… then instead of recording…

Go to FILE > SAVE AS TEMPLATE....

Give it a catchy name like “My &$%#"… (kiddin)
Then when you want to start a session
Click NEW PROJECT
Select your template
and not only will your ports be assigned - but Studio Manager can load your favorite setup to your Motif-Rack ES.

That is what Studio Connections is all about… unless of course you need the practice setting the ports each and every time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2008 @ 01:33 AM
Proslacker
Joined  03-08-2008

Thanks Bad Mister. I’ll try that one out.

I was using my Motif for most of yesterday on an existing project, and it all worked nicely for me. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Still need to spend a day properly exploring it though, which I’ve yet to do as I’m rarely in my home studio…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 31, 2008 @ 05:50 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No problem… See you simply have to reprioritize things. Reverse it: spend all the time you are now spending doing other things in your home studio /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2