mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "grand piano overlaps every sound i choose!"

Posted on: March 06, 2008 @ 11:09 PM
macdave
Total Posts:  14
Joined  03-06-2008

i just got a motif 6(classic) and when i record in pattern mode, and in every channel i pick and assign a voice or sound, the gran piano is always on top of it!.like layerd on top!..how can i fix this?...please tell me i didn’t waste my 700 dollars on a junky keyboard!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2008 @ 08:26 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: grand piano overlaps every sound i choose!

There are a number of things that could cause this problem.  With a little more information we can probably help you diagnose your problem.[list][*]Do you have any PLG boards installed in your Motif?

[*]Are you connected to any other gear (via MIDI) or a computer (via MIDI or USB)?[/list:u]Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2008 @ 12:15 PM
macdave
Joined  03-06-2008

um im not really familiar with what a PLG board is but i do have 2 plugins and yea it started overlaping when i was trying to connect the motif to cubease via usb wich itin’t work....but its been dsicconected now and the sounds still overlap.

i hope you can help me out!..and also i just updated it to 1.90 and did a complete reset..but before the connection to the computer, the update and reset, it was working fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2008 @ 02:01 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

um im not really familiar with what a PLG board is but i do have 2 plugins

???? Huh?

You will know if you have PLG Plug-in Boards because the PLG1, PLG2, and/or PLG3 LEDs will be lit on your front panel. 

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/392978-Motif%20FrontPanel.JPG

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] PLUG
Press [F1] STATUS
This screen will tell you what PLG boards you have, if any.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2008 @ 11:28 PM
macdave
Joined  03-06-2008

yea it says

plug1: PLG100-VH
plug2:
plug3: PLG100-XG

thats what i meant about having plugis.But do you know anything about my little problem?..i reset it but the grand piano still overlaps every voice i choose in pattern mode....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2008 @ 11:33 PM
macdave
Joined  03-06-2008

um im not really familiar with what a PLG board is but i do have 2 plugins and yea it started overlaping when i was trying to connect the motif to cubease via usb wich itin’t work....but its been dsicconected now and the sounds still overlap.

i hope you can help me out!..and also i just updated it to 1.90 and did a complete reset..but before the connection to the computer, the update and reset, it was working fine.

yea it says

plug1: PLG100-VH
plug2:
plug3: PLG100-XG

thats what i meant about having plugis.But do you know anything about my little problem?..i reset it but the grand piano still overlaps every voice i choose in pattern mode....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 07:20 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

What is probably happening is that the sound from the PLG (most likely the XG board) is being layered with the sound from the Motif.

To stop it happening you will need to edit your Pattern mix so that the PLG is not responding to any MIDI channel:

Pattern, press Mix, press tab F6 (screen label PLG 1-3) then press edit.
Next press any one of the track select buttons (but most usefully in your case 1 or 3) and then SF2, (screen label Mode).

You are now in the screen where you set which MIDI channel(s) the PLG boards respond to. For a first base check, select the Receive Ch for each board in turn and turn the scroll wheel so that the MIDI reads OFF for each.

Now, STORE the mix settings to your pattern (THIS IS IMPORTANT!!) You should now be in the place where you no longer have a layer by default. You will want to then SAVE this either as a template, or as a song or pattern to be recalled for next time!

OK so far. If all is well, learn to master these PLGs because they can do a lot to add extras to your sonic palette.

However, notably, the XG board is very useful because it is in itself a 16 part Multitimbral board (all other PLGs are Mono timbral) and this board when connected via USB can be addressed by a different independent MIDI stream to the host Motif, giving you the possibility of 32 independent MIDI channels, 16 for the Host and 16 for the XG PLG. Also, when you use a sound from the PLG it uses its own polyphony - this is important when the Motif classic only starts off with 62 note polyphony. So you could use drum sounds, or pianos or strings or whatever from the PLG to relieve the polyphonic ‘stress’ on the host.

Hope these ideas are useful.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 10:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

But do you know anything about my little problem?..

Yep, I actually do… /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

What you will want to do is the following:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] PLUG
Press [SF2] MIDI
Set the PLG100-XG to PORT NO. = 2
Press [STORE] to lock in your Utility mode settings.

By setting the PLG100-XG to Port 2, it will not sound when you play the keys of the keyboard… unless you change the trasmit PORT and Channel of the sequencer. Port 1 is your internal sounds, Port 2 will allow the XG board to be addressed by the sequencer (internal or external)

You may also want to download and study the following article: Getting Started Guide: PLG100-XG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 09:43 PM
macdave
Joined  03-06-2008

thank you!!!!...yes this di fix it!!!!!...man seriously i was about to send it out to yamaha!!!....thank you very much!...but do you know what caused it to switch on its own?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 09:48 PM
macdave
Joined  03-06-2008

aww dude thanks allot!!!...yea it did help allot!!!...so what advice do you give on setting it to cubase?..like what settings should they be on?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 01:30 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

If your OS previous to update was less than 1.4 then it is possible that the OS update changed this behaviour - previous to 1.4 (if my memory is correct) it was normal for this layering not to happen by default. After 1.4 it became the default behaviour.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif Classic 6 Reset List
Next Topic:

Brad’s List: TOP MOTIF/MOTIF ES FORUM QUESTIONS ››