mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Foot Switch"

Posted on: March 04, 2008 @ 11:21 AM
DigitalPerformer
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-04-2008

Someone please help me.

I’d like to advance/move backward through multis using a foot switch (attached to the master keyboard controlling the motif rack)

Based on what I read in Motif_Assigning_Controllers.pdf I should assign FS to CC #99 or CC #100.

So why the f*** I can only choose from CC #01 to CC #95 on my MOTIF RACK?!?!?!?! Please someone check this!!!! You must go to Utility, then CTRL ASN, then FS Asgn.

How can I do?
Sincerely, DP

p.s.: motif_assigning_controllers
FOOT SWITCH Use a Yamaha FC4 or FC5 (sustain like switch). It can be assigned any cc number between 1-101. It will always send a control change value of 127 when activated; otherwise the value is 0. The nature of the switch makes it ideal for OFF/ON operations. This message can be used to turn something from off to on or vice versa. The default assignment is cc #088 an unassigned number.
Assigned to cc #099 or 100 you can advance or move backward through Voices or Performances. You could even use it to start/stop the arpeggiator (cc96*), hold the arpeggiator (97*) or the sequencer (cc98). *The MOTIF default for Arp Sw and Arp Hold. Set to cc66 it will become a sustenuto pedal. Set to 101 it will reset the OCTAVE transpose.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2008 @ 04:22 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Foot Switch

The Motif Rack does not have controllers… you purchased a rack mount unit. Yikes. The article you read is clearly aimed at people who purchased the synthesizer keyboard… which includes the following controller and controller options you do not get:

A set of 61, 76 or 88 keys with aftertouch
A PB Wheel
A Modulation Wheel
Four Control Knobs
Four Control Sliders
Two Foot Switch jacks (one for sustain, the other is assignable)
Two Foot Controller jacks (both assignable)
Breath Controller jack

If you wanted these options you should have gotten the Motif keyboard synthesizer.

You will have to purchase a MIDI keyboard controller that offers you an opportunity to control your rack… the Motif Rack does not contain all the features and functions of the keyboard version - for example you do not have output expansion options, or a third PLG slot, you don’t have a sequencer or options to sample… In general, when you have the Rack unit you must be aware you do not get everything that you get when you purchase the keyboard version of the synthesizer. But I think you knew this.

You should get a MIDI controller keyboard that is capable of sending Program Change increment/decrement - that certainly is function of the MASTER keyboard controller.... and many send this command. what are you using to play the Motif Rack????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 05, 2008 @ 05:50 AM
DigitalPerformer
Joined  03-04-2008

Ok, the rack version has limitations, but why putting the FS menu, in the UTILITY page?

I use a CME UF8 controller as master keyboard.

This is from the CME user manual:
CONTROLLER PEDAL
A controller pedal can be connected to CONTROLLER PEDAL terminal. The controller pedal will generate MIDI controller message, the controller # is assignable. To assign a controller # for the pedal, press DRAWBAR and A.TOUCH at the same time, then the current controller # (11) will be displayed on the LED, now we can use DEC/INC button or the data dial to change the controller # to any number from 0 to 127.

I’ve set #99 for the controller pedal to no avail

Do you think I must give up and get a midi pedal?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2008 @ 08:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Ok, the rack version has limitations, but why putting the FS menu, in the UTILITY page?

The FS is on the menu so that you can select it as a SOURCE control device. Within each and every VOICE on the Motif-Rack you have six Controller Setups… you can use the following physical SOURCE devices and assign them to specific parameters:

PB - Pitch Bend Wheel
MW - Modulation Wheel
AT - Aftertouch
FC2 - (assignable) Foot Controller 2
FS - Foot Switch
FC1 - (assignable) Foot Controller 1
BC - Breath Controller
AS1 - Assignable 1
AS2 - Assignable 2

The first three on the list (PB, MW, AT) are fixed control devices - meaning they have a message that they always send. Pitch Bend (En) is its own category of message, as is Aftertouch (Dn). The MW will always send cc001 (what these message are programmed to do is always a function of the receiving device or sound module).

The other Source devices (FC1, FC2, FS, BC, AS1, AS2) are flexible as to what message they send.

By setting your MIDI Controller to send cc099 you have not really selected any universal MIDI command… Motif-Rack control devices can be set to any value between 1-95. So cc099 does nothing for the Motif-Rack, at all. (It is different in the keyboard).

If, for example, you set the FS to Control Change number 20, for example, (this is a controller number that has no specific function), you could then send in cc020 and have that change something about a specific Voice. Say you assigned it in a Lead sound to be ELFO Depth, stepping on a foot switch set to send cc020 would then add Element LFO.

The default for the FS is cc088… so by setting your controller’s FS to send 88 you could now program FS as one of the SOURCE devices in any Voice, it could do any number of different things - depending on how you program the Voice.

Using the FS to INC or DEC through sounds is not an option on the Motif-Rack (It may be on your CME controller, I’m not sure).

The way that you move through sounds on the Motif Rack is by Bank Select and Program Change messages.

If you turn Bank Select = OFF, and leave Program Change set to ON (in UTILITY > MIDI) then sending a Program Change message between 0-127 will select a sound in the current bank.

I’ll have to check if the CME will send MSB/LSB and PC messages - or if it can increment through PCs.

Update
According to the CME UF manual (page 14) you can send MSB BANK cc#0, LSB BANK cc#32 from the CME UF8… Values can be sent 0-127

So you have everything you need to select sounds on the Motif Rack

Preset 1 = MSB value 63; LSB value 0; For Program Change 001 (Ap: PowerGrand) you would send a value of 0
Preset 2 = MSB value 63; LSB value 1
Preset 3 = MSB value 63; LSB value 2
Preset 4 = MSB value 63; LSB value 3
Preset 5 = MSB value 63; LSB value 4
User 1 = MSB value 63; LSB value 8
User 2 = MSB value 63; LSB value 9

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2008 @ 10:03 AM
DigitalPerformer
Joined  03-04-2008

Thank you very much Bad_Mister for your neat and useful explanation. I think I am facing a limit of the master keyboard, now.

Yes, of course I can change programs and multis using increment/decrement buttons of the CME. But I need faster changes while playing… so I am experimenting.

I’ve noticed my old Juno106 has a foot jack dedicated to patch shift; it also sends the patch shift to the midi out. But I really can’t use a Juno106 as a master keyboard!!!

Eventually I must choose between changing master keyboard or buying a midi pedal. What would you recommend?

Thanks againg for your precious support.

[ Ignore ]