mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS as Slave Logic 8 as Master"

Posted on: February 28, 2008 @ 08:51 AM
ayp
Total Posts:  22
Joined  07-29-2007

Hi All,

I recently found out that Logic 8 does not allow other sequencers to be Master and Logic to be slave, like Logic Pro 7 did.

Can someone please walk me through how to setup the Motif XS as a slave and Logic 8 as the master so I can record my audio and midi from the Motif into Logic?

And once it is set up, do i need to press record or play on logic to get the Motif XS sequencer to start at the same point, at the same exact time.

I have tried to do it but I can not get this to work.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2008 @ 07:35 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Motif XS as Slave Logic 8 as Master

First of all, your assumption is wrong! Logic Pro does slave to other sequencers… To control Logic:

Toolbar> Project Settings> Synchronization> General>

Change Sync Mode from internal to MTC and set the Motif XS as master…

To control the Motif XS from Logic Pro:

Make sure the above Sync Mode is set to ‘Internal’

Then, select the MIDI Tab (under Synchronization)> Transmit Midi Clock Destination 1… (Make sure it’s check and change it to either all or MIDI Port 1). You can also check Transmit MTC and Transmit MMC; selecting the same Port as above… And make sure the Motif is set to slave to Logic…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 29, 2008 @ 03:35 AM
PhillipK
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-25-2006

Thanks for that tip. I knew that it was possible to make Logic the
slave but never needed that feature. I have heard some complaints
about Logic 8 not using midi clock sync to slave and I believe the
reason they decided on MTC is that it could be translated into SMPTE
code. This would make sense for people in the industry.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 29, 2008 @ 08:47 AM
ayp
Total Posts:  22
Joined  07-29-2007

Hi,

My statement that Logic Pro “8” not slaving to Motif is based on someone on Logic Pro 8’s forum stating that they took out the ability for it to slave via midi to Motif XS. 

Are you sure this works on Logic 8, not talking about Logic Pro 7

Thanks a lot

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 29, 2008 @ 12:02 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Ayp,

I was not in front of my XS8 when I replied. So, I will make the following correction…

Logic Pro 8 does act as a slave to devices which transmit MTC. And, the Motif XS does not transmit MTC. It only sends midi clock…

So, use the first example I gave above to make Logic Pro 8 slave to a device which transmit MTC (my external sequencers do) and the second example to make Logic Pro 8 send MTC, MIDI clock, etc…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2008 @ 05:49 PM
JRino
Joined  06-26-2004

@Motif8Mine...Does that same process work for the Motif Classic as well?? and how do you set the Motif as the slave to Logic??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2008 @ 07:34 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

JRino,

yes, it works with the Classic and it’s been a while since I’ve sold my classic so some of this I have not personally tested but: after setting Logic to control the Motif (as noted above)- go into the Motif’s Utility [F5]>[SF3] >MIDI Sync, then change MIDI Sync to either ‘MIDI’ or ‘MTC’.

Also, if you want Logic to control the Motif’s transport {stop / start, etc...} from F5]>[SF3] >SeqCtrl, change to ‘IN’.
Next go Utility F5]>[SF4] >MIDI Other, and change to MIDI In/Out to ‘USB’.

That should do it…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2008 @ 09:16 AM
JRino
Joined  06-26-2004

Thanks so much for your help and the useful information. You just saved me months and months of headaches

talk to u later

[ Ignore ]