mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problems with Mm6 Sonar instrument defenition."

Posted on: February 24, 2008 @ 06:46 PM
stjay1
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-27-2004

Hi every one,
Can you please help me out? I downloaded the instrument definition for my Yamaha Mm6, but it’s not working very well. 1. When I select the mm6 and set
a midi channel for it in the track properties dialog box, the first several banks seem to be empty. After scroling down a few banks, I eventually get to
some thing like mm6 bank 100 not too sure the exact bank number
but this bank says mm6 panel voice a. In this bank, I can scrol through and select some of the mm6’s patches. However, some of the patch numbers are empty.
Scroling down again in the bank field, the subsequent banks are panel voice b, c, d etc. Each of these banks contain some more of the mm6 voices, but many
of the patch numbers are empty, and when you select these, they select the gm patches. At the end of the bank list, you come to the mm6 drum kits. In this
bank, as I scrol through the patch list, I can see the names of all the drum kits, but they don’t get selected on the mm6 when I select them, instead I
get the gm kits. Can some one please help me to sort it all out since I have an important gig on Wednesday, and I want to use my laptop with sonar, and
my mm6. Also, the mm6 can play back standard midi files. If I select the mm6 patches from the mm6 banks, and save the files as standard midi files on to
a usb jump drive, when I load them directly in to the mm6 via usb, will the correct patches be loaded? Or will they have to conform to the gm patches?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jason  

P.S.  I have the latest ins file, 3/12/2007 and I have imported it correctly, the 1 for my Motif Es is working fine, it’s just the mm6 I am having problems with. Is there some thing I need to do on the mm6 it self?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2008 @ 09:53 AM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007

Re: Problems with Mm6 Sonar instrument defenition.

There is nothing you need to do to the mm6.

I use the ins definitions that someone here made (Dynosaur). I assume you can download them somewhere from this site.  I use Sonar 3.

I do NOT use the banks. What I do is assign the midi channel, press the “browse patches” button to the right of the bank select, and pick my patch from there. I havent had a problem doing it that way.

Yeah, that bank stuff is confusing, with all the bank numbers, the empty banks etc. Thats why I do it my way! As for your USB stick questions, I have never tried it. Anyhoo, just pick the sounds with the “browse patch” button and you should be fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2008 @ 04:16 PM
stjay1
Joined  08-27-2004

Hi Cygnus64,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Does this method also work for selecting the mm6’s drum kits? If so, can you please give me an example that I can follow along to select 1 of the kits? Thanks a lot.
Jason

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2008 @ 06:47 PM
Cygnus64
Joined  02-27-2007

Jason,

for drums I would use the bank method, all the drums are there. I dont use mm6 drums often.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2008 @ 07:05 PM
stjay1
Joined  08-27-2004

Are you sure the drums are working? Can you please go through the procedia of selecting a drum kit for me step by step? This is just not working for me. I need help asap since I have an important gig on Wednesday. Do you use skype or msn? If so, do you mind helping me out? My Skype name is StudioJay1060 and my msn name is any time tomorrow will be good for me? I really need to get this sorted out. Thanks again for all your help.
Jason

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2008 @ 02:49 AM
stjay1
Joined  08-27-2004

Hi Cygnus64,
I am getting the correct names of the drum kits in the drum bank, but when I select them in sonar, they don’t get selected on the mm6? What am I doing wrong? Please help me out. If by any chance I have the wrong mm6 ins file, which I don’t think I do, can you please send me the correct one as an attachment to
But I really don’t think that’s the problem. I am still interested in talking to you on skype or msn. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jason

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2008 @ 03:24 AM
stjay1
Joined  08-27-2004

Also,
If I still have to replace the ins file, how do I replace it? Do I just import the new file? Or will I have to delete all the banks and patches etc? I really need some help. Thanks a lot.
Jason

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2008 @ 11:22 AM
Cygnus64
Joined  02-27-2007

Jason,

Drums usually have to be on midi channel 10. Select channel 10, then in the bank select the bottom bank. on mine it says 16256 Yamaha mm6 drums.

I just emailed you the ins file I use. I dont have msn or skype.

I am testing things now, I have Sonar 3 btw. Yup, its working perfectly, just select channel 10 first and you should be fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2008 @ 12:09 PM
stjay1
Joined  08-27-2004

Hi,
I have the correct file, the drum bank says 16256 just like you, but the kits are not changing on the mm6. I have channel 10 selected. Can you select for example the chinese kit and play it on the keyboard? Is there any setting I have to make in utility mode or any thing? I am really lost. Do you mind if I give you a call? If not, can you please e-mail me your phone number at Thanks a lot.
Jason

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MM6 MIDI confuses voices?
Next Topic:

The Holy Grail - MM6 Cubase XML file!!!!!!!! ››