mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MM6 MIDI confuses voices?"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 20, 2008 @ 10:08 PM
mobius121
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-20-2008

Ok so I have my MM6 hooked up to my laptop via USB cable. Now when I try to play certain voices some sound like a completely different voice. For example, when trying to play the over the top voice in the guitar section it sounds like a horned instrument. Sometimes even like a piano! I tried downloading the text file but I don’t know where to put it. I placed it into the patch names area and I couldn’t find it in the MIDI device Manager. What is the problem? Is there something else I am missing?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 06:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: MM6 MIDI confuses voices?

What is the problem?

You answered your own question in the first sentence: “I have my MM6 hooked up to my laptop via USB cable.” /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Welcome, by the way!
No really, when you connect to a computer somethings will change. When you connect any synthesizer up to a computer via USB-MIDI you are now subject to information being “echoed back” to the synthesizer on perhaps a different MIDI channel. So what you hearing can be information from a different MIDI channel. The software will echo incoming keypresses on a specified MIDI channel. The MM6 has 16 MIDI channels.

An important thing to know about is LOCAL CONTROL.
Local Control is a parameter in the keyboard that when ON, allows the keys of that product to directly play the tone engine of the product. However, when Local Control is OFF, the keys of that product when pressed send the information OUT via MIDI (USB-MIDI) first… then depending on the TRACK you have selected in your software and the MIDI channel of that track, that will determine what VOICE sounds.

So you may be hearing two things at once if you have local control ON… Typically when working with an external sequencer you would set LOCAL CONTROL ON/OFF = OFF. And therefore the selected track in your software would always determine what you are hearing.

If you have placed the script file in the proper PATCHNAMES folder, then you should go to DEVICES > MIDI DEVICE MANAGER
Click on the INSTALL DEVICE (circled in red below)
The MM6 should appear on the list
Select it
In the OUTPUT box set the Port you are using to connect the MM6 (circled in red below) Usually this is PORT 1.

Let us know. 

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/390473-Script.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 01:13 PM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

Thanks much for the welcome /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt= I think I downloaded the correct script. Do you have a link where I can get it? Its a text file right? When I place it I go to My computer, C:, program files, steinberg, CUBASE LE, scripts, and place it in patchnames. Should i go into inactive and place it there like in the yamaha folder? I tried that and it still didn’t work out. Did I do it right?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 07:16 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, no… it goes in a HIDDEN FOLDER

On the PC you want to find the Local Disk C:\
Then find the

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\APPLICATION DATA\Steinberg\CubaseLE\Scripts\Patchnames

The admin option could be “your name” or “ALL USERS” or “admin” it varies per computer.

As you can see below on my computer my name appears as the administrator

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/390587-CubaseLEscript.JPG

The “APPLICATION DATA” Folder is a hidden folder - this means it will appear in light ‘see-through’ yellow. If you do not see an Application Data folder at all, then you must go to your EXPLORER and click on TOOLS > Folder Options > View…

Under Files and Folders > Hidden Files and Folder
Select “SHOW HIDDEN FILES and FOLDERS”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 07:50 PM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

Ah! Thanks! I got it now. Sadly it didn’t seem to help my situation. On the device manager in the output there are the following available:
Microsoft MIDI mapper emulated
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth
MM6 [emulated]
When selected on the first on the over the top guitar still sounds like a horn, but when i select the wavetable one it sounds like a piano and still does even when I switch back the the midi mapper. Its very very odd lol. In the utility I turned PC mode on and Local off as you said. You mentioned something about port 1? I couldn’t find it on the output list.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 08:09 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m not sure what that problem is - it is certainly a separate issue from the installing the script file.

The “Microsoft MIDI mapper emulated” and the “Microsoft GS Wavetable SW synth” have nothing to do with the MM6 so make believe they are not there - they have no use for you in all of this.

Your computer has some Microsoft midi module built into it and it is not your MM6 - the OUTPUT of the MIDI DEVICE MANAGER you want to go to the MM6 - be clear about that. The only way the MM6 script file will make any sense is if you connect the OUTPUT to the MM6- does that make sense? If you output it to another synth (Microsoft’s whatever) the names will not necessarily match up You select an MM6 Flute by name from the ‘script’ and it recalls a Kazoo on the microsoft synth ...make sense? MM6 script should line up with data in the MM6 but you must sent it there

By the way… What USB driver are you using?
What version is it?

If you go to CONTROL PANEL and double click on the blue YAMAHA USB-MIDI DRIVER icon - this will tell you what version driver you are using.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/390591-USB_MIDI_Driver.JPG

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 08:29 PM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

I currently have the input as all MIDI inputs. When I select the MM6 as the output I can’t seem to hear anything, even when recorded and played back. I guess the only times I hear anything is when using the other two microsoft things. I attached a pic of the screen for the usb.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 09:11 PM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

I have attached a pic of the inspector and what I currently have it on. When I select the MM6 as the output, I can’t hear any sound. I hope its not my computer /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2008 @ 09:25 PM
mobius121
Joined  02-20-2008

Lol wow I feel stupid. I figured it out. Thanks for all your help though with the patch and everything! It really helped a lot. I am such a noob with MIDI. I though I was going to hear something through the computer’s speakers XD Thanks for your help again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2008 @ 02:47 PM
morsella
Total Posts:  0
Joined  10-02-2008

can you be more specific where exactly i put TXT file and what kind of text file (where do i get it) - bcz i dont see mm6 in midi device manager…
sorry for my english

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2008 @ 03:10 PM
morsella
Joined  10-02-2008

IT seems i have the same problem…
Using windows vista…
Cubase AI
usb-midi driver 3.0.03

I hear the original sounds from my midi when i have choose the output as mm6 - but i hear it only in my head phones the point is when i export the file i dont hear nothing at all… when i export the file as midi file so i hear the piano…

and another thing is..
I did found the mm6.txt file (17kb) i went to my programs and in scripts patchnames of cubase i have pasted it… - i still dont see the option of installing mm6 in midi device mananger… there is no mm6 to choose…
please help me i am very tired of this…
i dont understand why it has to be so hard like to get the bible from sinay…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2008 @ 04:33 AM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007

Morsella said:

“I hear the original sounds from my midi when i have choose the output as mm6 - but i hear it only in my head phones the point is when i export the file i dont hear nothing at all… “

Morsella,

midi is not audio, you cannot hear it. When you are hearing it in your headphones only, it means that Cubase is not “recording” it.

You have to record the synth. To do that, you need the outputs of the mm6 plugged into your soundcard. Then, you select an audio track and press record.

When you export a midi file, there will be nothing on it that you can hear. Midi files are small, audio files are big. Midi wors like a player piano roll, it simply “plays” the synth for you. You need to record the synth, then export an AUDIO file i.e. wav file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2008 @ 11:37 AM
Rojoyinc
Joined  11-02-2008

What is this text file, script thing?

I use Mackie Traction 3 mainly - is this something I need too?
I also use something called GUITAR PRO5
it’s midi - but when I play its songs out - I also don’t get proper tones - OR LOUSY GM ones - how do I tell GUITAR PRO5 that I have a MM6 - it doesn’t seem to know.

I’m mainly using guitar ot midi and MM6 as sound module.
But I’m new to midi as well- though I have recorded mm6 midi and I am able to play back midi out from tracktion to MM6.

My guitar Pro 5 doesn’t know the mm6 is there and Motif (or mm6) tones aren’t available in the program… is this where the scripts come into play?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2008 @ 07:38 PM
hillbilly0
Joined  12-01-2008

Where can i get the same .txt file for the mm6?I have the same problem! please help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2008 @ 07:11 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Where can i get the same .txt file for the mm6?I have the same problem! please help

In the Motif Mart FILES/SOFTWARE scroll down, under CUBASE
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2008 @ 08:40 PM
hillbilly0
Joined  12-01-2008

Thank You sooooooooooo much!!!! I’m a newbe

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MM6 midi