mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Constant SysEx messages"

Posted on: January 29, 2008 @ 08:21 AM
neiljohnstonii
Total Posts:  26
Joined  03-09-2004

I just switched from using midi cables to the USB connection on my XS8.  Now when I’m recording into Logic I get constant SysEx messages.  I can filter them out in Logic but it is annoying to me that I can’t figure out how to stop this from transmitting on the Motif (and why would it be doing this anyway?).  Anyone know how to stop these?
Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2008 @ 09:31 AM
xsprt
Total Posts:  721
Joined  07-23-2007

Re: Constant SysEx messages

Hi neiljohnstonii,
Can you provide a certain SysEx message (the first 8 bytes of it are enough),
xsprt

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2008 @ 10:12 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

The signal you are seeing is probably a MIDI Realtime Command known as “Active Sensing” (= 0FEH). As far as I know it cannot be turned off. For more information, see this thread .

The Motif XS can also be sending “F8” which is MIDI clock. You can turn off this MIDI message by setting the MIDI Clock Out parameter to “off”.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2008 @ 10:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Motif XS is likely sending FE (Active Sensing) and F8 (MIDI Clock)

You can turn the MIDI CLOCK (F8) off, if you are not using the Motif XS as the master clock. UTILITY > [F5] CONTROL > [SF2] MIDI > Set CLOCK OUT = OFF

You cannot do anything about Active Sensing (FE), as most Yamaha gear uses the System Realtime message. Simply filter out System Realtime messages if it bothers you. It deals with signal interruption
-MMA: “The Active Sensing signal is used to help eliminate “stuck notes” which may occur if a MIDI cable is disconnected during playback of a MIDI sequence. Without Active Sensing, if a cable is disconnected during playback, then some notes may be left playing indefinitely because they have been activated by a Note On message, but the corresponding Note Off message will never be received.”

From the XS Data List booklet:
“Transmitted at every 200 msec. Once this code is received, the instrument starts sensing. When no status nor data is received for over approximately 350 ms, MIDI receiving buffer will be cleared, and the sounds currently played is forcibly turned off. Also, the values of the Controllers are reset to the default settings.”

These two messages, while hexadecimal are not stictly System Exclusive…
If the messages are truly System Exclusive… the Motif XS sends such messages from the CS in VOICE mode (for Element Level); In PERFORM mode the first four CS send System Exclusive for PART Volume.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2008 @ 10:49 AM
neiljohnstonii
Total Posts:  26
Joined  03-09-2004

Thanks for the replies.  I had turned off the midi clock out figuring that’s what it was at first.  What’s interesting is that I did not have this when using midi cables, only since I went the USB route.  As a matter of fact, I was using the mLan connection for a time and didn’t do it then either.

It seems this would be sent no matter what connection method was used.  I know for a fact it wasn’t transmitting before because I never had this many SysEx messages in my tracks before.  Tons more data than is necessary (without filtering obviously).  Would there be a reason why I am getting this through the USB cable?

Just to make sure I am sane, I might have to try the midi cable again.  Problem is, I just re-organized my studio and was hoping to eliminate my midi interface for less clutter.  Oh well!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Installing mlan on XP x64
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››