mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Midi file playback"

Posted on: January 20, 2008 @ 10:24 AM
magic8ball
Total Posts:  23
Joined  01-11-2008

I have Sonar 7 Producer Edition and I am trying to play back some midi file that I previously created a few years ago in the Motif XS.  I installed Sonar and all went well.  I loaded a basic midi file I create with limited message and events to keep it simple.  But the file is not playing back properly.  The best way I can think to describe the problem is that it appears the sounds are coming from the wrong sound bank.  When I select midi channel one, using the GM sound bank and select the first sound, I should get a piano sound. Instead I get some other sound with a beat.  The next sound should also be a piano and instead I get an acoustic guitar and the third sound shoule be another piano sound and I get a pad sound.

I have checked my instruments and the midi devices section and it points to the Motif XS all as I would expect.  So its has found the ins file and it recognizes the Motif XS.  In the manual it says to go to utility, press F5, then SF2 which I have done.  I have changed many of the settings thinking it was a channel, switch or interface error.  The correct settings that I thought would work didn’t. It seems like no matter what change I make, I still have this issue.  Everything in the switch section is set to on.  Basic receive channel is omni,
channel transmit is 1 and the device number is all.  The interface is set to USB since I’m using a USB chord to connect the computer and the Motif XS.  Quite simple all I’m lookig to do is playback the midi files I created and have the ability to change the banks and sounds.  I have looked in the manual and tried a few things but nothing seems to work.  Any ideas or suggestions as to what I am going wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2008 @ 11:31 AM
magic8ball
Joined  01-11-2008

Re: Midi file playback

Here’s something else that might be helpful.  When I try and play the whole song together my problem continues.  However when I play each instrument individually by itself in solo mode, each channel will play the correct sound assigned to it.  So the problem only occurs when I play the whole song.  Secondly for some reason the last sound assigned to the last channel I have in my piece plays on all the channels. As an example if I have an 8 track piece and track 8 is a guitar, all 8 channels play the same guitar sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2008 @ 03:14 PM
magic8ball
Joined  01-11-2008

Lets come at this from a new angle.  Exactly how do I play a midi file back in Sonar using the sounds on the Motif XS?

If you could please list the steps for playing a midi file on Sonar using the XS or tell me where to look in the manual.  I thought I found it in the manual but I’m willing to try anything.  Could this be an issue where I need to upgrade the OS?  Please II need help and need to get this resolved.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2008 @ 04:12 PM
NeuroRon
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-17-2004

Well the way I do it, from an ES, is - save Song to USB stick as a MIDI File on the Motif - Put the stick in my PC, drag the file to the Hard drive. Open (OPEN - FILE - MIDI), creating a Sonar Project (I hope all this stuff still fits with Sonar 2, it’s ben quite a while). There are other ways to do this also. Now File > Save as > Cakewalk Bundle. Go to each MIDI track and make sure it is assigned to the right channel, patch, etc. I’d go into Event View for each track and make sure there are no Program Changes etc that youdon’t want there.

Also make sure the Motif is in either Pattern or Song Mode. I try to kmake all the Program changes from the MIDI track properties. seriously though, there is so much new in Sonar (Audio, MIDI and Plug-Ins) for such a reasonable price, I would upgrade. 

If you’re still having problems - post a Screen shot of your Sonar Project so that we can see

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2008 @ 04:59 PM
magic8ball
Joined  01-11-2008

Thanks for the reply Ron.  I will certainly try your suggestions.  Here’s my dilemma.  I have a bunch of midi files already created from previous work that I’ve done.  I want to be able to play these through Sonar PE 7.

I had a Yamaha S90 and I remember I had to do a few steps I think it was something like F5, SF2, Enter, EXECUTE(yes), and then the information would be directly sent to the S90.  I image there is a way to do this through the Motif XS, I think its called a bulk dump. 

I could download the files into the XS and then save them through Sonar if I have too and I will certainly try your suggestion it just addsa more work for me and I’m being lazy and trying to do it the way I used to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2008 @ 01:19 PM
supermanrulez
Joined  01-30-2003

Magic8ball,

I read your posts and knew there was a solution.  I remember going through the manual and seeing something that I thought would work for you but it wasn’t in a midi section.  Try the following and see if it works for you as solution.

1.  Power on Motif and open Sonar PE7 and open midi file.
2.  Go into utility and push F5 and then SF2
(at this point make sure these settings are correct for Sonar and your set up, reading your previous post it appears they are)
3.  Push the song button in the sequencer section
4.  Scroll to an empty song, I think the fourth or fifth one is blank
5.  Push the Mixing button in the sequencer section
6.  Push the Job button
7.  Push F4
8. Press enter/execute
9.  Press Yes/inc
10.  Play your midi file through Sonar. 

Did it work?  Does your file play the correct instruments now?  I’m thinking this is what you wanted based upon your posts.  Hopefully this will work for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2008 @ 08:23 PM
magic8ball
Joined  01-11-2008

Superman yes!!! That was it.  It works like a charm now. Thank you so much for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2008 @ 10:01 AM
supermanrulez
Joined  01-30-2003

Good deal!  I understand how frustrating things can be when they don’t work the way you wanted.  I used to own a Fantom X and went through nightmares with the bugs and other problems associated with it and the lack of support by Roland was by far the most frustrating.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2008 @ 09:50 PM
jammalot
Joined  10-07-2008

Superman,

I would like to use Motif ES-Rack and Studio Manger with Multi Part & Voice Editor(s) inside of Sonar

Connections:
Using a computer and an external MIDI
Keyboard together with Motif ES -Rack

Using a computer with sequencer to control the MOTIF-ES, you can connect an external MIDI keyboard to record
Note and other data (and even play back recorded data).
Set the “MIDI IN/OUT” parameter to “USB” with the
following operation.
[UTILITY] →MIDI display →“MIDI IN/OUT” = “USB”
when using the USB connector (“MIDI IN/OUT” is set to “USB”), the
MOTIF-RACK ES also receives and relays any data received via the MIDI
IN connector, and then data will be output from the USB port 1.
MIDI “Echo” on takes any data
received via the MIDI IN terminal and “echoes” it (or sends it as is)
through MIDI OUT.
Connected Midi Out of Controller to Midi IN of Motif

Multipart Editor
Problems are as follows-
Set Up Midi ports are not configured correctly, how should the Midi in remote set up be exactly??

Midi in Remote Port ====== ????????
Midi Out Remote Port ======????????
Midi In Port =========== ??????????
Midi Out Port ===========??????????

Voice Editor
Not many problems except I don’t have Instrument definitions loaded so I must page up or down using the pc + and – key while looking at the modules LCD as oppose to the editors window.

Part Mixer
Does Not Interact with Voice Editor=changes don’t carry over…….

Midi in Port………..Yamaha Motif-Rack ES-1
Midi Out Port……..Yamaha Motif-Rack ES-1

Configuring Studio Manager
Specific Midi Ports Ok , but Can not Synchronize with hardware
Bottom part is grayed out.
.Program Closes, must re-boot

Sonar with Motif ES Rack
Can only preview some of the sounds by scrolling thru the “patch” drop down…
I can save my selections in Sonar this way, but not sure this is the right way.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jammalot

Dual Core Pc
Windows XP Pro
Motu 896
M-Audio Delta 10/10
Digimax
Behringer Composer Pro-XL
Midi Man 4x4
M-Audio BX8 Monitors
Motif ES Rack
Mackie Control