mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS & Logic Pro - Do I need to use mLAN?"

Posted on: November 27, 2007 @ 09:55 AM
PureMotifs
Total Posts:  10
Joined  11-27-2007

Hi,
I’m thinking of buying a Motif XS, and probably hooking up to Logic Pro.  To use the DAW Control functions of Motif, do I need to buy the mLAN interface, or can I do everything using the USB (or Ethernet) connectors ?

If mLAN is essential for Logic Pro, are there other DAWs that would work OK using USB?

Or, is the support for Cubase using mLAN just so fantastic that it would be worth me getting Cubase?

Many Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2007 @ 11:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Motif XS & Logic Pro - Do I need to use mLAN?

To use the DAW Control functions of Motif, do I need to buy the mLAN interface, or can I do everything using the USB (or Ethernet) connectors ?

You can use DAW Remote Control functions with any multi-Port connection. That is either USB or mLAN.
Both USB and mLAN allow you to use a separate MIDI port for the two-way communication that is necessary for the remote control functions. The difference is that mLAN also allows two-way audio communication. USB will be sufficient to record and playback MIDI and to use all the Remote Control functions in Logic.

If mLAN is essential for Logic Pro, are there other DAWs that would work OK using USB?
Or, is the support for Cubase using mLAN just so fantastic that it would be worth me getting Cubase?

While we would love you to use Steinberg software, the choice of DAW is up to you. There is a free (light) version of Cubase (AI4) in the box with your Motif XS - give it a try, if you like what you find use it. We would love you to at least give it a whirl. The way that Studio Manager (that is, your Motif XS Editor) is bundled as part of your project makes the workflow and re-opening projects a breeze - that is one of the key features in the Cubase integration (the fact that your hardware’s setup data is automatically saved when you save a file).

If however, you decide to use Logic Pro, simply set your XS to REMOTE mode = “Logic” and go for it. The XS has tight integration with Cubase/Nuendo, Logic, Sonar, and Digital Performer. Select your DAW by what you find useful for making YOUR music.
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF1] REMOTE

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2007 @ 09:04 AM
PureMotifs
Total Posts:  10
Joined  11-27-2007

Re: Motif XS & Logic Pro - Do I need to use mLAN?

Many Thanks for your reply. A couple more clarifications

A) If there a difference in speed between mLAN (also processing audio), and USB.  E.g. If playing on Motif, then routing Midi to DAW to be recorded, and then back to Motif to trigger the sound. (As well as triggering other sounds in Motif at the same time.)

B) You mention that with Studio Manager you can easily save the h/w setup.  Is this the same as setting up a specific Performance on the Motif for this particular song. (Or presumably, you could send Midi msgs to change parameters at the start of a song?) Or does Studio Manager give you other benefits too?

C) You mention that mLAN provides support for Audio.  How many audio inputs does this give, and what support does it give for vocals?  Presumably I would still need to get a A/D box to record vocals or guitar?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can you dump voice names to Logic?
Next Topic:

Motif ES6 and Logic Express 8 ››