mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Things I’d like to do with my MM6"

Posted on: November 08, 2007 @ 07:25 PM
c3ajeff
Total Posts:  26
Joined  11-08-2007

OK I like the sounds of the MM6 and I got mine on the cheap, so I’m OK with it’s shortcomings. Here’s what I’d like to be able to do with it and if anyone out there knows how, please let me know!

1. I am running Native Instruments B4 II VST Hammond Organ soft synth. It has an incredible sound (just what I expect a B3 to sound like) with a terrific Leslie. You’re supposed to be able to map a control to the Leslie and I’d like to be able to map the MM6 Mod Wheel to the B4’s Leslie but I can’t seem to make it work. I am able to control the B4’s keys with the MM6, just not the Leslie. (I think I’ve tried everything.)

2. I’d like to use the “performance” settings to set up for a live performance. The band I play with has a set list and I’d like to push a button that will set the MM6 up with the sounds/splits/layers as needed for each song.
For instance, song #1 uses organ/strings/piano. I can use another keyboard to do the piano licks with, but would like to use the MM6 to have a split keyboard with strings on the right and organ on the left. When that song’s done, I’d like to punch the next button and have it set for piano, w/out a split, and so on.

One thing I have noticed is that the transport on the MM6 sends a MIDI message to start the transport on FL Studio or Sonar which can be useful.

Jeff

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2007 @ 12:03 PM
Joshy
Total Posts:  1823
Joined  08-05-2007

Re: Things I’d like to do with my MM6

I really don’t think it’s possible to change the Leslie spead on your softsynth with your MM6, but I think that the other thing you were talking about is possible.  I believe your MM6 has a registration memory function.  Use the registration memory function to set up panel settings for each song.  The registrations will remember your settings, just like masters can on a Motif.  It’s basically the same idea.  When I play a Yamaha arranger-workstation with a band, I use the registrations all the time, and they’re a life saver.  Hope this helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2007 @ 08:23 AM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007

You can do #2 very easily. The only caveat: you cannot name the performance. Huge problem for live use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2007 @ 05:39 PM
c3ajeff
Joined  11-08-2007

Now that I’ve worked with the MM6 for a few weeks, I have learned how to do a lot of things like control my VSTs with it. I have mapped the B4 Organ VST to the mod wheel and other knobs are mapped to the four upper knobs… it’s really pretty cool.

I am still trying to figure out how to make the performance settings do what **I** want them to do.

Overall I’m happy with what it does do. The sounds are great. I don’t use the PSR type stuff on it, but hey I might figure out how to fit it into a performance here and there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2007 @ 01:16 AM
n_k_p
Total Posts:  8
Joined  12-10-2007

can i arpegiate left side of split while playing right with single voice?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2007 @ 09:28 AM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007

nkp,

no, the arpeggiator only works on the main voice right of split.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2008 @ 05:07 PM
c3ajeff
Joined  11-08-2007

Just a note - after using my MM6 for a year and a half, I’ve learned a little more about it’s pluses and minuses. I’ve dialed in the piano sound the way I like it using digital effects in my mixer and it sounds pretty “Motif” good - giggable. My biggest complaint was not the organ sound (the sounds are fine, really) but the Leslie effect just isn’t there at all… So, I started looking for a B3 emulator and ended up (as I said in my previous post) using the B4 VST.  But that meant bringing my laptop to practice and setting it up and if anything went awry and I had to reboot my B3 organ was down until I could reload everything in the correct order. That happened a couple of times (it’s usually reliable) and it’s just not something I can live with. So now what?

Well, like I said the organ sounds are pretty decent. What was missing was a good leslie emulation and I was shopping for a new keyboard or module that would do that for me. I hadn’t thought of a stompbox - but I was perusing Youtube and ran across a kid that demo’d a Boss RT-20 which is a full-featured leslie emulator and so I got myself one.

WOW. The MM6 organ patch coupled with the RT-20 is really the bomb. Something about the RT-20’s tone affect really adds what’s missing and the several of the organ patches really sound very close to a B3 with a 122 Leslie.

I also bought a volume pedal for the MM6 and I have an expression pedal for the RT-20 that allows me to control the rotor speed/ramp with my foot while the volume lets me control the ‘swell’.

This also works nicely with the Rhodes and other sounds as well. It adds a new dimension to the MM6. Since I got my MM6 for under $500 and I got this RT-20 (open box new) on eBay for $150, I think I’m still well below the cost of ANY other keyboard with the quality sounds the MM6 has coupled with the added capabilities of the RT-20.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Vista workaround
Next Topic:

Making a loop ››