mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "suggestions for using sequencer live"

Posted on: November 04, 2007 @ 03:53 PM
lrduffsb
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-26-2006

I’m looking for suggestions from anyone who has experience using a sequencer (preferably old fashioned hardware, non-computer based) on live gigs. I do a lot of solo (or duo) gigs and have never worked with one and would welcome any suggestions as to models (something used I assume - do they make them any more?), pros and cons, ease of use, etc. Are there any that have the flexibility to repeat a section to do an extended solo?
I’m using an S90ES but this post should apply to any keyboard I assume. I don’t have a laptop and don’t want to buy one just for this purpose or have to worry about it getting stolen at gigs. Having said that, is there any big advantage to using a laptop and software?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2007 @ 03:41 PM
mintjamman
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-05-2007

Re: suggestions for using sequencer live

Hardware seqeuncers have as far as I know taken a backseat with the major maunfacturers this last few years. People using other formats such a mp3 players, minidisk and laptops on stage to play backing tracks.

All have there pro’s and con’s, as regards repeating sections on the fly none of the aforementioned formats allow for such things except for the laptop loaded with the right kind of application. Most software applications are for creating music as opposed to live work and then you have the chance of a laptop throwing a microsoft tantrum mid performance, nightmare springs to mind !

So I reckon you would be looking at tracking down a used hardware sequencer like one of the tried and tested Roland units or one of the Yamaha’s.

Personally I work with both Minidisk and a hardware sequencer that being a Roland MC80-EX, this has a hardrive fitted with a external sccsi Zip drive, it also has a onboard sound card that is comparable to the Roland SC88 Pro with respectable sounds onboard, it offers chain play, repeat of sections of the arrangement on the fly, tranpose, phrase play, large LCD screen so you can keep track of what is going on, footswitch start and stop, external click track for when you have a drummer, mutes so you can mute any part,
Rock steady timing 480ppq, tempo adjustment,

All in all a perfect live tool,

Good luck

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S700 piano sound on Motif XS
Next Topic:

Arppegios ››