mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transport functions from MO6 via MIDI (not USB)"

Posted on: September 20, 2007 @ 01:47 AM
zoolansky
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-01-2007

Hi there all!

Sorry if the answer for this basic matter is already written in other topics, but if so, I can’t find it (neither in the excellent topic named “Hooking up my Motif to Cakewalk or Sonar XL?").

I only want to know if there is any way to connect via MIDI (not via USB) my Yamaha MO6 and my PC (sound card), and control the basic transport functions of Sonar (Play / Stop / Record ...) from the synth. Someone told that this is solved by using a right configuration of MIDI clocks, but I’m not sure about that.

I’ve read the manual and there is a right explanation about using Remote DAW Mode via USB, but in my case I prefer to keep the actual settings in my homestudio, which are all via MIDI. Any ideas ?  That’s impossible ?

Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2007 @ 01:43 AM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Re: Transport functions from MO6 via MIDI (not USB)

Going out on a limb here, but I think you need to use the USB connection, which is still a MIDI connection by the way. The USB method provides 4 individual paths each containing 16 channels (I’m slaughtering the terms Yamaha use for this, but you probably get my point). After you load the USB driver, you will go into Sonar and can associate USB01, 02, 03, and 04. USB 04 is used for the remote control features, while USB 01 is needed for the instrument connection.

Anyway, I have only half explained this, but try it and you’ll see for yourself. You will not hurt anything, and no salesmen will call.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 21, 2007 @ 02:24 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Actually Bob did a good job of explaining it. USB-MIDI is a multiple port communication between your MO and your computer. The first PORT (port 1) is used exclusively for music related data… note-ons, controllers, tempo, etc. A second port can be selected by you to do things like Remote Control your DAW (Sonar) - but it must have a separate discreet port otherwise messages that are used to control Sonar will start playing musical tones or detuning instruments and other bad things.

So unless you connect via USB you will not be able to use the Remote Control functions. And Bob was quite right USB-MIDI is MIDI so all you setting will be the same except for those where you select “USB” - MIDI will just travel down a different cable is all. A standard 5-pin MIDI cable, by definition is a single Port. Remote Control functions requires a separate Port.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2007 @ 03:33 AM
zoolansky
Joined  01-01-2007

Thanks a lot for your answers, SpongeBob and Bad_Mister.

Each time I consider to change my 5-pin MIDI connections by an USB connection, I feel a little scared because I’m not sure my configuration will work right after that. I’m using a MOTU MIDI Interface which have only 5-pin MIDI Connections, and an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card connected with it (and also my MO6, obviously). And I don’t know how must I connect all of that if I use an USB connection. That seems too much difficult for me !!  ;-)

Thanks anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2007 @ 08:54 AM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

As far as your MO6 is concerned, the Yamaha USB-midi driver will replace the Motu midi interface. Everything else will operate the same as before, except that you will have to identify the USB midi in place of the Motu in whatever applications you have that use it now.

I would not worry about trying it, unless you are unsure on how to operate your music software.

Bob.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2007 @ 10:45 PM
zoolansky
Joined  01-01-2007

Bob, thanks again.

Well, the MO6 is not the only synth I connect to MOTU. I’ve also a Korg Triton LE and two sound modules (Roland JV-1010 and Yamaha MU128) connected to it. I’m afraid that if I replace the MOTU interface by MIDI cables between every synth via MIDI-Thru, my latency problems will come back…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2008 @ 10:45 AM
geoffreyweglarz
Joined  09-03-2008

Well, I have the same type of issue. I have the MOTU Midi Express 128, the Motif Rack ES, and a Korg Triton Extreme. I use the midi ports from both synths to the MOTU and do not use the USB for the synths, just the MOTU. then, I assign the Instruments to Midi Express1 to Korg and Midi Express 2 to the Motif.

This is so I can control the Motif from the Korg. My problem is that the instrument definition files (I have tried them all) do not play the correct patches. They will play patches, but not the correct ones. Also, the Motif is in Multi (red light) but will only play channel 1.

Any suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sonar 7 is here
Next Topic:

INS question. ››