mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Program Change in Multi Mode"

Posted on: August 05, 2007 @ 07:07 PM
Hobson
Total Posts:  23
Joined  08-05-2007

My ES Rack accepts program changes from my controling keyboard when in Voice Mode (when I select a Program number on my Korg TR the ES Rack goes to the Voice with the same number), but does not when I’m in a Multi User mode.  Is there a switch that can be changed to cause the ES Rack to change the Multi program the same as the ES does in Voice mode?

Thanks,

Hobson

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2007 @ 01:22 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Program Change in Multi Mode

Is there a switch that can be changed to cause the ES Rack to change the Multi program the same as the ES does in Voice mode?

The proper way to get the Motif Rack ES to change MULTI programs is to send MSB/LSB and a Program Change.
MSB = 63
LSB = 65
PC = Multi number

MSB and LSB are two Control Change messages that allow the controlling device to address the Bank Select. You would send values for each of these to tell the Motif-Rack ES you want to change Multi programs - send them on the Basic MIDI Receive Channel of the Motif Rack ES (typically Ch.1)

Check the documentation of your controller keyboard for how to send Bank Select commands.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2007 @ 05:48 AM
Hobson
Joined  08-05-2007

Thanks Bad_Mister.  I’ll hit the Korg manual and see what I can find about sending MSB/LSB PC data.  It remains curious to me why the ES Rack does what I want it to in Voice Mode but not in Multi Mode.  Isn’t the ES receiving and acting upon MSB/LSB PC data to do that, i.e., isn’t the Korg already sending that data?

Hobson

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2007 @ 07:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

In Voice mode it simply follows the Program Change 000-127 for Voices 1 through 128. And as long as you don’t want to change banks everything is fine.

In Multi mode do you want to change the entire Multi or do you want to change the sound on a Part of the Multi… that is the question… so you must define by using MSB/LSB if you want just one particular sound within the multi to change or the entire multi…

for example MSB/LSB/PC message that is: 063/000/000 sent on MIDI channel 1 will tell PART 1 of the current Multi to change to Full Grand; while 063/065/000 sent on MIDI channel 1 will tell the entire Multi to change to Multi 001

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2007 @ 09:46 AM
Hobson
Joined  08-05-2007

Bad_Mister:

Gotch Ya. 

My guess is that my Korg will not send out that much information.  If so, I’ll be out of luck; but at least I know what I am looking for.

Thanks much.

Hobson

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2007 @ 02:24 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

My guess is that it will… This is pretty standard stuff for MIDI gear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2007 @ 11:27 AM
Hobson
Joined  08-05-2007

At long last I’m back on trying to solve this problem.  As Bad_Mister predicted, my Korg TR does send MSB/LSB/program changes.

I’m using the User Multis in my Rack-ES.  I know the TR is communicating with the Rack because I’ve got the global channels on both set to CH 1, and the Rack’s tempo is being controlled by my TR (and, of course, the LEDs flash on the Rack whenerver I do anything on the TR). 

I would like to change the Rack’s User Multis programs from my TR.  I’m using MSB/LSB 063/065 and sending program changes, but nothing happens.

Is 063/065 the right MSB/LSB for User Mulits?  If it is, do you have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Hobson

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2007 @ 02:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes it is. Sorry, I can’t help you with the Korg but you have the correct MSB/LSB numbers for MULTI mode. 063/065
The Program Change should follow the MSB/LSB events.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S80 voices
Next Topic:

caveman in search of fire ››