mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Stupid GM Drums Question (Motif-Rack ES)"

Posted on: June 18, 2007 @ 05:09 PM
MoonMix
Total Posts:  13
Joined  06-18-2007

OK...

[Hello to everyone...I’m new.]

Here’s all I want to do (for right now...that is)...I want to open up a General MIDI composition that I created in SONAR5...whereby all instrument tracks & all drum tracks played fine on my old rompler (XV-5050)…

...& hear the same thing out of my new rompler...a Yamaha Motif-Rack ES.

[I make up basic GM compositions of my songs...& e-mail them to my piano player, who can save them to floppy & pop them in his digital piano for rehearsal purposes.]

I must be really dense tonite...’cause I can’t seem to find anything in the manual that would suggest how to set up the Motif to play a basic general MIDI tune...where I’m also getting the drums.

Anybody?

Thanks,

MoonMix

Also: In another forum where some also Yamaha Motif knowledgeable folks hang out...I had complained about weak output (w/ my output already being assigned to +6dB.) Someone said to check & make sure I’m in Stereo mode.  How does one go about this?

[please bear in mind...this machine has only been out of the box two days...so I understand these are inane questions.]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 18, 2007 @ 08:19 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Stupid GM Drums Question (Motif-Rack ES)

Please see the answers to the following threads:

GM RESET

More info

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2007 @ 05:21 AM
MoonMix
Joined  06-18-2007

Bad Mister...

Thanks...will try...but isn’t there a way to toggle thru the parameters in Voice mode (to set up the unit in GM preset)?  [Was purusing the maunual last nite & came across that info.]

(i.e., maybe I’m not even hip to the basic modes of opperation, yet.)

Thanks,

MoonMix

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2007 @ 06:31 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

While for your GM song files you can manually go into the song mix and re-assign the individual parts to use the corresponding voice voice from the Motif Rack ES’s GM bank, sending the GM RESET command will automatically setup the Motif Rack ES to act like a General MIDI (only) tone generator and thereby be able to playback properly formatted GM files without any modification.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2007 @ 03:23 PM
MoonMix
Joined  06-18-2007

Bad & Brad...

OK...looks like that’s the way to go.  Wonder if I could accomplish this via SysEx?

Thanks again,

MoonMix

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 19, 2007 @ 03:31 PM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

Wonder if I could accomplish this via SysEx?

… and of course if you’d followed the GM RESET link that Bad_Mister posted in his answer to you, you would have seen that the GM RESET is actually accomplished via a System Exclusive command… /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 20, 2007 @ 06:24 PM
MoonMix
Joined  06-18-2007

Brad (& Bad)...

Yes...yes...you’re right...thanks...I sent one lone Sysx message (the GM Reset seq/code Bad gave me) out of SONAR5; & that worked just fine...I’m back in business.

Just one more question, tho...a follow up:

How will this now effect normal operation.  I.e., if I want to now go ahead & create a more sophisticated MIDI composition...where I use better sounding voices/patches...do I have to jump back out of GM Mode?

If so, how?  Is it as simple as hitting the Voice button...or does another Sysx message need to be sent?

Thanks,

MoonMix

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 21, 2007 @ 06:08 AM
BradWeber
Joined  07-26-2002

Yes it is as simple as changing your voice selections for the various parts. As I understand it, sending the GM Reset simply sets up parts 1-9 and 11-16 to point to the GM Bank (MSB=0, LSB=0) and the program for these parts to 1 (= Grand Piano). It also sets channel 10 to the GM Drum kit (Bank= 127,0, Program = 1). You can always override these settings simply by sending the appropriate bank selection control changes and program change command.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2007 @ 03:05 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

brad, if i might ask a follow-up question...how do you BLOCK a sysex message on the motif rack? i have midi files set up using various banks on the motif, but i am playing the midis from the harddrive of a connected keyboard...i am sure the keyboard somehow by default issues a GM reset command before each song, and even though i have the TX filter for Sysex on, it doen’t seem to matter, so i thought perhaps switching on a sysex blocker on the motif might work???
thanks
dennis

[ Ignore ]