mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "how to get yamaha motif rack to work in pro tools"

Posted on: June 01, 2007 @ 07:45 AM
Phusion
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-01-2007

hello everybody. this is my first post here on this forum because i’m new to this wonderful community. i’m not really new to the recording industry but there are things that i still need to know and to learn. i found that this is just the perfect place for me and everybody else in the music industry to hang out and learn from each other.

ok. to the topic.

i’ve been stuck in this situation for 4 years now since i bought my yamaha motif rack, and i’m still looking for ways to solve it. i’m a pro tools user on a pc and with the yamaha motif rack (the classic model), i wanted to record midi into pro tools. so, i hooked everything up they way it should be hooked. but, when i record midi, it records all the midi notes that i played. the problem is that when i play it back, i don’t hear anything. is there any special configuration that i need to setup in the motif rack or pro tools? how do you turn local off in the motif rack?

here’s how i set it up: using two midi cables, i plug the first midi cable from the input of the motif rack to the output of my xp-80 keyboard controller. and with the second midi cable, i plug one end into the thruput of the motif to the input of the digi 002R. also, with two mono intrument cables, i plug it into the main output of the motif rack into inputs L and R on the digi 002R. i did turn local switch off on the keyboard.

the first time i tried the motif was at a friend’s studio cause he really liked the sounds of the motif and we hooked it up and it was fine. every track has it’s own sound coming out of the motif. (by the way, he’s a mac user). so when i try it on a pc i don’t know why it just don’t work. he also said that on a pc it’s 20 times harder; which to me is hard to believe.

i even asked a guy at guitar center for help and i tried everything he said but still didn’t make any sounds. for a while i felt like he doesn’t even know what he’s talking about. he said that because it’s midi, it’s not going to make any sounds. of course i know midi doesn’t make any sounds but the motif has sounds built in it; besides i also plugged two instrument cables from the motif main output to the 002R input to get some sounds.

i’m so frustrated now. everything worked fine with the xp-80’s sounds but not the motif. i need serious help. please someone..... get the weight off my back.

please please please will somebody help..... i’ve been stuck in this situation for way too long. if there’s no way to fix it, i might sell the motif rack and get something else, although i really like the sound of the motif that’s why i bought it in the first place.

i apologize for such a long post. any ideas or help will not be forgotten. thanks in advance. take it easy!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2007 @ 02:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: how to get yamaha motif rack to work in pro tools

using two midi cables, i plug the first midi cable from the input of the motif rack to the output of my xp-80 keyboard controller. and with the second midi cable, i plug one end into the thruput of the motif to the input of the digi 002R.

I don’t see where you have MIDI IN coming from your computer to the Motif Rack, so therefore it cannot playback in response to notes in your sequencer.

As far as I can tell you can play on your XP80 the notes pass through the Motif Rack and arrive in your sequencer but you have no path back to the Motif-Rack from the computer.

I’m not familiar with the DIGI 002 - doesn’t it have the ability to be a MIDI interface???

It would seem you should plug the MIDI OUT of your keyboard to the MIDI Interface, plug the IN and OUT of the Motif Rack to another set of Ports on the MIDI interface and do the routing in Pro Tools.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 02, 2007 @ 08:54 AM
Phusion
Joined  06-01-2007

Re: how to get yamaha motif rack to work in pro to

thanks so much for getting back on me with this. but, how do you connect midi from the computer? my computer doesn’t have any midi port. and yes, the DIGI 002R have the ability to be a midi interface. i’ve try some routings in pro tools. do you know of any specific routings that i should try? you are right about what you’ve said- “As far as I can tell you can play on your XP80 the notes pass through the Motif Rack and arrive in your sequencer but you have no path back to the Motif-Rack from the computer.” i’ll try what you suggested about using a different port on the DIGI 002R and do the routings in pro tools. are you familiar with pro tools? have any ideas how i should rout? thanks so very much. i appreciate you getting back. hope to hear from you soon. have a very wonderful day!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2007 @ 07:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, I don’t know much about the Digi002 used with Pro Tools but it would seem that if it can be a MIDI interface you would connect your devices to its MIDI ports and do the routing in your Pro Tools software. You should really attempt to get help from Digi on this… or perhaps some one here with more experience with it can help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2007 @ 08:26 PM
Phusion
Joined  06-01-2007

thanks. i appreciate you help! see you around. have a nice day!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Replacement Power Adaptor?
Next Topic:

Motif Rack OS Update and Multi Part Editor ››