mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS Dynamic Voice Allocation"

Posted on: April 27, 2007 @ 11:23 PM
H_Bomb
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-21-2002

Does the XS use the same Dynamic Voice Allocation that the rest of the Motif line (including S-90 and S-90ES) uses?

Thank you,

Rick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2007 @ 09:05 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Re: XS Dynamic Voice Allocation

It is similiar, but of course re-coded because it is a new chip and new OS.  We have done lots of sequencing with lots of guitar strumming arps ( which use tones of polyphony) and have never had an issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2007 @ 10:43 PM
H_Bomb
Joined  08-21-2002

Thanks.

I was mainly curious… does the same “note robbing” thing happen after 4 notes (that my S-90ES has)?

It wouldn’t necessarily stop me from getting one, but I do notice it with my playing style (so I’m learning how to play a little bit differently to compensate… that, and I just try and overlook most of it).

Thanks again,

Rick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2007 @ 06:15 AM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

If you are getting note stelaing after 4 notes, you probably have a MIDI loop happening.  If you are using the ES witha computer software set , Local to OFF in Utility Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2007 @ 07:13 AM
ksounds
Total Posts:  670
Joined  05-06-2004

I believe H_Bomb was referring to how some Yamaha synths don’t let you play more than 4 of the same note - for instance, repeating a single note on a piano sound while pressing the sustain pedal. The 5th iteration causes the 1st note to end, the 6th causes the 2nd to end, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2007 @ 09:01 AM
H_Bomb
Joined  08-21-2002

Yes, I was referring to what KSounds mentioned.

Sorry that I wasn’t more clear.

I know it’s not *that* bad of a problem, however, there are times when I experience issues with *my* normal playing style (which I have adapted to some degree, because obviously the pros for having my S-90ES far outweigh the cons of not having it).

I was just wondering if the XS might exhibit the same behavior.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2007 @ 12:20 AM
johnno2
Joined  12-19-2005

H_Bomb - see [url=http://www.sninety.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1]http://www.sninety.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1 [/url],3&Board=S90ES&Number=286729&Forum=All_Forums&Words=robbing&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=268517&Search=true#Post286729 for a solution to your problem with note-robbing on the S90ES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2007 @ 04:03 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Or more simply: http://www.sninety.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1,3&Board=S90ES&Number=286729.

Regards,

Brad Weber /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2007 @ 09:32 PM
H_Bomb
Joined  08-21-2002

Thanks.  That was one of the threads that made me think of this question.

My question was still whether or not the Motif XS exhibited this same behavior, though.  Anyone know?  I haven’t seen an XS in my local stores yet.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2007 @ 12:43 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

My question was still whether or not the Motif XS exhibited this same behavior, though.

Unfortunately, yes. I don’t have a sustain pedal yet, but I raised AEG release to 127 on all elements, struck C1 four times very hard, and then C1 four times very soft - after the last soft C1 I could precisely hear the hard C1 cut abruptly.

Yamaha_US - any chances of getting it fixed in an OS release?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2007 @ 06:09 AM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

Jote, please re-read this thread.  The Dynamic Voice Allocation for Motif was fixed and updated in an update for the Motif ES at the request of users to the current method.

“ I raised AEG release to 127 on all elements, struck C1 four times very hard, and then C1 four times very soft”

Although this test may be instructive for seeing how the dynamic allocation works , it is not a typical musical usage.  In working with the Motif XS for months and sequencing using multiple arps we have never had an issue with dynamic voice allocation in a musical context.

The alternative to the current method would be to take a step back to the older method first used in the ES which did not work as well and which many people requested that we fix.

Sequence with the XS and we are confident that you will find that in a musical context voice allocation is not an issue.

So in response to your question, “any chances of getting it fixed in an OS release? “ , we feel that we have already selected the best method for voice allocation and fixed in in the release for the ES several years ago.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2007 @ 12:57 PM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

Although this test may be instructive for seeing how the dynamic allocation works , it is not a typical musical usage.

Well, people mentioned having problems with playing piano “octave tremolos” with sustain pedal on. To clarify: this is not an issue for me; but those people certainly perceive this as a typical musical usage /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2007 @ 11:02 PM
H_Bomb
Joined  08-21-2002

Thanks for the insight.

The DVA has provided a *slight* issue with my particular playing style (in a musical context), but it’s really not that bad.  I’m sure that most people won’t even notice it.

I’ll still take this over the competition any day.  I was just wondering if the XS worked the same way.  Thanks for letting me know that it does.

Peace.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS vs. CP-33 vs. PLG-AP Piano Sounds
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››