mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha MM6 Review!"

Posted on: April 25, 2007 @ 06:59 AM
squeak_D
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-24-2005

Well I gave the MM6 a good test run last weekend.  So here are my thoughts on the unit:

Features:  limited 32 note poly (didn’t take me long to blow it out, but to be fair I was trying to bottom it out though to see what it could take), basic real-time control knobs (taken from the DJX line), Screen is pretty decent, pitch and mod wheels taken from the MO series, and it was nice to have sounds in categories.  I do not like that there is no dedicated storage for user voices and all edits have to be saved to “performances”, Decent scetch pad recorder (don’t really consider it a sequencer), but sufficient enough to throw your ideas down with.  The recorder is limited though, but what the recorder lacks internally the included software more than makes up for.

Construction:  Typical construction you’d find in the Yamaha PSR line.  Also you have to take into account it’s made in the same factory as the arranger keyboards.  Key action is also typical of PSR line, Plastic body is decent enough, but most likely couldn’t handle the bumps and bruises of heavy road use IMO, Not too sure how long the knobs will hold out for.  They appear to be the same knobs from the DJX line.  Those units had a very poor “center stop” that wore out rather quickly.  Overall I’d say the construction is fair, but wouldn’t suggest it for heavy road use.

Sounds:  The MM6 does have a “Motif Classic” flavor.  In all the sounds were pretty good.  The pianos and EP’s were nice, decent string sounds (however, I couldn’t make heads or tails of the violin voice--that one had me scratching my head in confusion), brass is also decent, drums were good, synth pads and leads were also favorable, It was nice to see Mega Voices on the unit /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Overall I’d say the sound engine is pretty darn good, and supports the statement “Motif Based Sounds”.

Styles:  After playing with the styles or “patterns”, I have to say this “This ain’t your daddy’s keyboard”.  The MM6 is at the heart an “arranger” keyboard.  It is without a doubt the re-birth of the DJX series.  This keyboard’s styles are “Modern Based”.  These styles aren’t what you’d find on a traditional arranger keyboard either.  If you see the word “Ballad” or “Pop” it’s NOT going to be what you’d expect on a typical arranger keyboard.  These styles have a “Modern Flavor” to them, and I say that’s AWESOME!  I thought the styles overall were nicely done and sounded up to date.  If only these types of styles were shared with the Yamaha arranger line.

Conclusion:  I think the MM6 is a decent board.  However, you MUST understand that the MM6 really isn’t a “heart of your studio” type keyboard.  It’s features are too limited for that use.  The MM6 is simply an “add on” keyboard.  It makes a great addition to a current set up that may spice up your current rig, and add a little flavor to what you’re doing now.  I’m not sure I’d drop $600 on it though.  Taking into consideration the limitations IMO the MM6 is about $100 over priced.. That’s just my opinion though.  When they come down in price I will without a doubt pick one up though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= To all the owners of the MM6 I say “rock on!”.  Please share some demos when you can.

Best Regards to all,
Squeak

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2007 @ 11:06 AM
USER876
Total Posts:  327
Joined  04-09-2007

Re: Yamaha MM6 Review!

Well the S03 is still available for around 500ish, so they couldn’t price the MM6 much lower or they will never sell the rest of the S03’s!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2007 @ 12:31 PM
Cygnus64
Total Posts:  163
Joined  02-27-2007

My local chains had the S03 for $400, and they were sold out.

I find more with the MM6 every day. Some very cool performances and arpeggio combos. The DSP stuff has a lot more options than I would have imagined. AFAIK you cant name the performances, which is baffling. And, since no one has responded to my mono/portamento question on this page, I asume we know the answer to that. I am real happy with mine overall, its been a blast to play!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 25, 2007 @ 04:07 PM
morty
Total Posts:  154
Joined  02-14-2007

my demos are on pg 2 of this forum if you want to check them out squeak just a lil sample of what it can do, all done on the mm6

morty

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2007 @ 08:57 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

Morty,

Could you either post here a link of a demo or send me a private email of the “violin” voice on the MM6 in action.  In the store I was left scratching my head on that sound. 

Thanks,
Squeak

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2007 @ 04:30 PM
Cygnus64
Joined  02-27-2007

Yeah, the violin patch is pretty damn bad. Whats funny is that if you play a cello patch an octave up and adjust the resonance to make it brighter, its clearly the same patch.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2007 @ 07:50 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something there with that voice.  I even adjusted the attack, reso, and cut. knobs to see if I could pull out a better sound, but still wasn’t satisfied with it.  I think that’s one of those voices you’ll need to drown in effects if you want to use it solo /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

I’ll be picking up an MM6 eventually.  Personally I feel it’s a little overpriced at the moment.  I know Yamaha can’t have it priced too close to the S-03, but geez the S-03 is more of a synth than the MM6 is, and can run 4 osc.  I’m surprised the S-03 costs as little as it does.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2007 @ 07:59 AM
Cygnus64
Joined  02-27-2007

It never occurred to me to even attempt to use that patch. If I could I would take it out permanently, along with the laugh, footsteps and dog barking!

I am 42. I am amazed at the low prices of synths these days compared to when I was a pup. My DX21 was about $700 twenty years ago. Its hard to believe that 20 years later I can get a keyboard for $599 ( actually $520 for me!) that can do what it does. The technology and competition has been great for keeping the prices down.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2007 @ 08:38 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

I think with some work that patch could sound much better.  Doing some editing with the attack, reso, and cutoff, and then adding an EQ insert and tweeking the insert just might bring the voice to life.

Yeah I hear ya on the prices today compared to years ago.  I used to have the DX-7--EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!  I used to sell keyboards, and it blows my mind all the things you can find on lower level boards that used to be the “need to have” features on the high end boards.

Squeak

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2007 @ 08:41 AM
Cygnus64
Joined  02-27-2007

I am a pro symphony violinist for a living. I think I will just open my case.........!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2007 @ 08:43 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

HE HE /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= I hear ya man!  I get the same way when doing guitar tracks on the keys.  Those acoustic guitars just don’t seem to beat my Ovation /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Squeak

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ multi use usb
Next Topic:

MM6 and included software--How’s it working out??? ››