mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sonar 6.21 Crashes?"

Posted on: March 19, 2007 @ 12:45 PM
msr
Total Posts:  250
Joined  03-31-2006

I upgraded to Sonar Studio 6.21 and still get periodic crashes.  Anybody else having this problem?  I think I am going to uninstall, reinstall from the orginal disk, go right to 6.2 and then 6.21 bypassing 6.01.  Maybe that will fix it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 19, 2007 @ 02:54 PM
ipgrunt
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-07-2006

Re: Sonar 6.21 Crashes?

Yeow!

That’s disheartening. I have been using 6.21 for two long weekends now, and I don’t have a complaint.

I originally had the crash using the 64-bit audio kernal with the 6.2 version and even sent Cakewalk development my dump file after one crash.

I uninstalled 6.2 and went back to 6.01 for a couple of weeks, but then tried running 6.2 without the 64-bit option checked, and didn’t have a problem after that.

I’ve been running in 64-bit mode with the 6.21 version and did a lot of recording tests this weekend while I was exercise a new digital mixer--no problems at all from Sonar 6.21.

If you know how to run Dr. Watson, before you change your system, get Cakewalk a good dump image of the crash you’re experiencing. From what I’ve seen of their support group, I think they might be very interested in fixing your particular problem, but you have to get them enough info so they can figure out exactly what’s wrong. Often a Dr. Watson core dump file can point the developer to the section of code that caused the crash.

If you don’t know how to setup Dr. Watson, get in touch with Cakewalk support and they’ll email you explicit instructions.

Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2007 @ 09:11 AM
msr
Joined  03-31-2006

Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully it is something easily fixable. 

One other thing I forgot to do was to check and see if I’m running the 64-bit engine.  Do you know if this is the default and which menu you go to disable it?

Thanks /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2007 @ 10:15 AM
ipgrunt
Joined  06-07-2006

No sure of the default, but it’s right in the main audio settings dialog: Options/Audio/General.

It’s a checkbox, stuck in the middle of the dialog and may be hard to see, but it’s right next to the Audio Driver Bit Depth pulldown in the first section.

As I said, 64-bit works fine for me in 6.21, but who knows?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2007 @ 11:07 AM
msr
Joined  03-31-2006

I’m not sure about how to run Dr. Watson.  I am running Win XP Pro.  Is it fairly straighforward?  How can I find out?  In the meantime, I’ll make sure my 64 bit engine is turned off and see if that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2007 @ 11:22 AM
ipgrunt
Joined  06-07-2006

Here’s the email I received from Cakewalk support last month with the instructions:

------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Cakewalk Technical Support.  Crashes of this nature are certainly not typical.  To help us determine the cause, please send us a “Minidump”.

To enable Minidump’s in XP:

Start | Run | drwtsn32
Crash dump type: Mini
Check “Dump Symbol table”, “Dump all thread contexts”, “Create crash dump file”
Set “Number of instructions” and “Number of instructions to save” to 50.
Uncheck “append to existing log”
Note the location of the Crash Dump path so you can find the minidump after the crash.
Click OK

Now reproduce your crash. This should save a minidump file in the crash dump path location. Typical name is “user.dmp”.

Please send the file to . “ ATTN: Bill” in the subject line.  We will review the file and reply as soon as possible.

—All replies must be submitted here [url=http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/EMAIL.ASP]http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/EMAIL.ASP [/url]
Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2007 @ 08:44 AM
msr
Joined  03-31-2006

Thanks.  I’ll set up to run minidumps now.  I checked in Sonar when I worked with it last night and saw that I already had the 64-bit engine disabled.  I didn’t have any crashes last night but I always hold my breath.  At least if I run mini-dumps I’ll be able to send more detailed data to Cakewalk.  Thanks again for the help.

msr

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ cannot record a sustained note
Next Topic:

input levels ››