mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "usb-mode and cubase"

Posted on: March 07, 2007 @ 10:31 AM
onkelg
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-07-2007

Hey!
I’ve got the rack ES today. love it!.. The rack and my yamaha p70 is now connected and everything works fine as long as the rack is displaying MIDI in the utilities and not USB. I wish to use both my piano and the rack together with my computer, and I figured out that the rack utilities should say USB insted of MIDI (using usb to the computer and midi-cabel to the p70), but when I switch to usb on my rack it seems like I loose the connection with the piano. I thought that the rack would be able to recieve from MIDI-IN while in “usb-mode"… or does the midi-signal from my piano somehow bypass the rack the first time until it gets sendt back to the rack after messing around in cubase or whatever? I haven’t tested with cubease installed yet, but is this the reason why I can’t get sound in usb-mode??

Thanx!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2007 @ 06:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: usb-mode and cubase

Updated from several previous posts.....................................................................

Setup your Motif Rack ES as a MIDI interface: What this means is it is set to communicate MIDI IN/OUT = USB

This then makes the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the back panel an extra IN and OUT for any external piece of gear. Say you have MIDI keyboard you want to use (your P70). You plug that into the 5-pin MIDI jack on the back panel. It arrives in your computer (without triggering the Motif Rack ES) - just as any MIDI interface would deliver signal to your computer.

Your computer application can then re-route the incoming signal (seen as Yamaha USB IN 0-1, for example) to the tone generator you want. You use your software to ECHO BACK the signal to the appropriate device.

For example, you could designate the MIDI OUT port on the back panel as PORT 2. Now when in your computer sequencer you route a MIDI track to OUT “Yamaha USB OUT 0-1” it will trigger the Motif Rack ES.

If you set the track to OUT = “Yamaha USB OUT 0-2” it will trigger whatever you connect to the 5-pin MIDI OUT jack of the Motif ES Rack. (your P70)

There is never really any cause to be switching back and forth between MIDI and USB. Even if you are using another MIDI interface for your other gear, when you want to route a track to the Motif Rack ES - simply communicate with it with your Yamaha USB Driver.  Or you can connect the Motif-Rack ES to that other MIDI interface. It is your choice.

But you want to set up so that you can avoid having to switch back and forth to get things done. That may seem like the thing to do - but if you think it through you will find a better way to work.

The bottom line is this:

If you connect the Motif-Rack ES directly to the computer via USB, then set the MIDI IN/OUT to USB. The MIDI jacks work for an external product. (the Motif-Rack ES is a MIDI interface).

If you connect the Motif-Rack ES to the computer via standard MIDI cables then you are obviously using something else as your MIDI interface. In this case MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI. In this case the USB jack is doing nothing.

See page 19 (column 2) for details on how to use the Motif-Rack ES as a MIDI interface. 

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/172050-USB.JPG

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ pluggin in USB cable causes noise thru Mbox2 mini
Next Topic:

evrything works, but.. ››