mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "to the yamaha gurus"

Posted on: March 02, 2007 @ 09:00 PM
morty
Total Posts:  154
Joined  02-14-2007

why did they cut back on the modulation wheel edit feature?
so you could change the vibrato speed and delay and the leslie simulater was always a nice feature even on the psr models, other than that its a great synth for the bucks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2007 @ 02:55 AM
hash
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-02-2007

Re: to the yamaha gurus

Does it have a software sound editor like the S03 has? Although I’m not really sure what it does… I had the impression that the S03 is more customizable than the MM6 because of this (I didn’t find any software for the mini mo on the yamaha website).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2007 @ 07:38 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

The S03 is definitely more programmable than the MM6.

There is currently no editor for the MM6, but we are working on some interesting ideas right now.  We will keep you posted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2007 @ 11:45 AM
hash
Joined  03-02-2007

Aww… so what’s the point then, to purchase the MM6 at double the price only for some motif sounds and that live-record-thing?
I know it’s only in its early stage of commercialization but when do you estimate that all the software and doodads will be available (i.e. the _real_ final product)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2007 @ 01:58 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

You said: “so what’s the point then, to purchase the MM6 at double the price”.

Double the price of what? The MM6 is $599. A new S03 is $500 bucks these days. MAP price Link reference . The Korg X50 is MAP $699, but it does come with an easy to use Computer-based Voice and Performance (Program and Combi in Korg-speak) editor which also loads as a VSTi into your favorite DAW - not just a high end version of Cubase. It is not Studio Connections compatible, so this full integration capability is not included or even available.

The MM6 is a smokin deal given the sound palette and overall features.

Are you comparing with a very low price PSR or Casio?
Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2007 @ 05:35 AM
hash
Joined  03-02-2007

Thanks for your reply, I was considering some options on what synth to buy and when the MM6 showed up it seemed like the perfect choice. It’s all very confusing for me because I’m new to synths and all I want is to learn and experiment. Because of that versatility and customization is a must. I just want those darn motif piano sounds and a handful of knobs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Anyway… please correct me if I’m wrong (n00b stupid questions) but from what I understand you can’t (on the MM6) put other sounds in its memory (only ROM) and can’t plug it into say flstudio and tweak the VSTs over there with the keyboard knobs. But if I have a VSTi I’ll be able to play live with the keyboard thru MIDI, right?

And what are it’s strengths or weaknesses (sounds, features etc.) compared with the Korg X50 (I know, blasphemy on the motif forums /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= ). In other words, does the Korg worth the extra 100$?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2007 @ 06:11 AM
morty
Joined  02-14-2007

Im no amateur, Ive been playing for years
and have been buying keyboards for 20 years on and off
I already own 3 korgs,1 roland and a casio(home use) and I truly love this new mm6
the key is to play a little with the dsp feature on the preset sounds and boy they sound great!
Ive owned yamaha before, but this is the best ive ever had for sound quality
of course it depends on what you want it for, if its sound quality
Id say go for it,if its a work station look elsewhere
but motif sounds for $600 thats going to be hard to beat

morty,good luck

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2007 @ 07:03 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

“can’t plug it into say flstudio and tweak the VSTs over there with the keyboard knobs.”

That really depends on the VST. The knobs on the MM6 send out MIDI CC messages.  Most VST respond to CC# and many ( for example all Arturia soft synths) allow you to contol/click on a parameter and then ‘learn” what MIDI message is coming in on the knob and assign that CC# to the parameter.

By the way, you can edit the sounds with the four knobs and then store those changes to a performance.

If you are looking for the best core sounds for the least amount of money, the MM6 is a great choice.

If you are looking for a controller for VSTs there are a lot less expensive solutions which are just MIDI controllers with no sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2007 @ 12:46 PM
hash
Joined  03-02-2007

Ok, I understand. Are the synth sounds well defined (and customizable, by this I mean if you have a wide variety what to choose from)? I just want a keyboard that I can gig with , with my band (we’re all beginners). So the core sounds are important, to have diversity in our music /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=.
BTW, what amplifier do you recommend I’d get with the MM6? At home I’ll just use my headphones but when we get together at a gig, that would be a problem.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, morty, and thank you for your help. Yamaha guy too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 04, 2007 @ 01:56 PM
morty
Joined  02-14-2007

what amp, what synthe?

Yamaha mm6 corewaveforms are excellent,if you need help to edit them just let me know I’ll be glad to help

a good and affordable keyboard amp(keyboard only! nothing else!)
behringer makes affordable stuff which is good,yorkville makes some good keyboard amps as well
and if you have the bucks, go for a roland cube, even if you can get one used they’re pretty rugged
and minimal 50 watts no less! or you better ask the band members to play without amplification

morty good luck

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ sounds sweet to me!!!
Next Topic:

morty/anyone who’s used the MM6...another ? ››