mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "motif 8 bad keys"

Posted on: February 07, 2007 @ 11:09 PM
danoan522
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-11-2006

a friend of mine has a motif 8, and I want his; and he wants mine (motif 6)- because of weight isssues- (typical problem with 88 keys), so we decided to swap, and I pay the difference. There is only one issue with this motif 8; is that about 6 keys (white keys) stay down when played, and have to be pulled back up in place. I really need help there, cause im thinking of swapping- Can someone tell me what can be done, and if something is bad, where it can be ordered; thanks for the info.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2007 @ 07:52 AM
Synthesist
Total Posts:  134
Joined  05-28-2003

Re: motif 8 bad keys

Originally posted by danoan522
6 keys (white keys) stay down when played

Bad move, dude, don’t do it! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif alt= Try a forum search for ”broken key”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2007 @ 12:49 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The six keys are most likely broken - have them repaired before you make any move. They stick because they have been broken - not due to any other reason. They should be replaced. Call your local authorized repair shop and get an estimate and a time frame on repairs and work that into your negotiation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2007 @ 01:06 PM
danoan522
Joined  09-11-2006

thanks bad_mister. But what scares me is that: soon after i purchase, many more keys decide its their turn to sit down. Is there any thing i can do to avoid breaking the keys?

the owner of the motif 8 told me that he is buying keys from an older yamaha weighted keyboard and that “they are the same as those on the motif 8"- He intends on replacing the bad keys with those...is there a possibility that the keys are the same?  thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 08, 2007 @ 01:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Is there any thing i can do to avoid breaking the keys?

Yes, have it serviced by a qualified service center if at all possible and have them inspect the keys. If there are cracks in the plastic the key will eventually break. To avoid breaking keys in the first place you can learn that MIDI has a ceiling velocity of 127 and you need to know how much force it takes to reach 127. This can be done by recording into a sequencer and looking at the data. You can determine what force generates 127 - then adjust the velocity curve to match your playing style.

If you use excessive force, you will eventually break a key. There are adjustable velocity curves for the entire keyboard and per VOICE. Learn to use these to adjust your keyboard to your playing style.

Now there are times when it is not your fault and the keybed might, indeed, be faulty. It happens - in manufacturing there are bad runs. In this case a determination can be made by Yamaha - the first step is to get the keyboard to an authorized repair station or to a Yamaha subsidiary. This is a keyboard that is now 5 or 6 years old, and you are not the original owner - so I don’t know what they will do, if anything, for you.

As to your friend getting keys “from an older yamaha weighted keyboard” - I cannot comment on that without knowing which older Yamaha keyboard… Yamaha has been building keyboards for 120 years now...seriously… just had a corporate birthday! Just how much of an older yamaha keyboard??? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2007 @ 08:36 PM
danoan522
Joined  09-11-2006

Well i bought the motif 8, and paid for a brand new keybed from yamaha- Problem solved! half brand new keyboard- lol.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2007 @ 07:11 AM
bigdaddywagon
Joined  07-26-2002

How much did you have to pay for the keybed?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Replacement parts
Next Topic:

Brad’s List: TOP MOTIF/MOTIF ES FORUM QUESTIONS ››