mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS demo video"

Page 3 of 5
Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 03:43 AM
spalding
Total Posts:  98
Joined  06-27-2005

Re: Motif XS demo video

sound is always gonna be Subjective Bill but if you heard a huge difference between the orchestralsounds on the XS to the ES then there is something wrong with my ears.Secondly your understanding of a modern day arranger and what it can do is different to mine as someone that actually uses themfor song creation and knows the extent of the edititable nature of not only the sounds but the sounds used in the styles and the styles themselves. But lets leave the arranger /workstation differences to one side. Many people who already own the ES Quite clearly have not been blown away by the sounds of the XS because of the common perception at least from these limited demo’s that the instrument sounds too close to what they can already produce now. Some have even gone as far as to say that the arranger instruments in some categories of sounds , sound better than the XS. Surely at the very least yamaha should have exported the exact same technology as found in the SA voices of the T2 into the XS than mess about with what sounds like a fudge on the XS.If you want tosee how the intuitive nature of SA voices can be astonishingly used in a live setting watch one of Peter Baartmans Demos of the T2. No one here has any question about the superb sound of the SA voices on the T2 so what was yamaha thinking by messing about with what was a winning formula ? The rest of the competition simply has no challenger to SA technology yet. Not even my beloved Korg PA1X!

You say that the XS is about song creation.What about the XS compared to the ES makes song creation uniquely easier to justify buying a whole new keyboard if you already own the ES? I must have missed it on the demo’s as the features both Bert and Ethan demonstrated are almost the same as on the ES. In fact watch Berts Product demonstration of the EX and then watch his demonstration of the ES on the yamaha site. Apart from the vocoder element, you would think he was demoing the same instrument, he creates tracks just as quickly and just as intuitively. In fact for anyone who is looking at the yamaha motif range for the first time i am sure that the ES demo would sell the ES to you again ! Or have my ears and eyes let me down completely ? Either way i am looking forward to all those lovely second hand Es’s coming into the market at rock bottom prices ! I love Gear lust !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 03:58 AM
J W CARTER
Total Posts:  3522
Joined  10-10-2006

That song Boogie Wonderland, is by the super group Earth Wind & FIre.

ES, T2 = XS,,,,think about it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 04:27 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Jerry,

I think more in this line:

ES + SX = TYROS2.  LOL

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 04:32 AM
billrock
Total Posts:  1037
Joined  11-14-2004

Jote,

I think that the reason why you (and some others) think that the T2 is better than XS is because of the wonderful T2 website with great samples of its capabilities. XS demos lack in comparison.

If people are still stuck on the T2, then get a T2 and a Korg M3 (so you have YAMORG TM23 lol)…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 04:41 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

billrock,

I hate to repeat myself (again), but I have a valid confirmation from a reliable source (I don’t know if he wants to be quoted here, so I’m not naming names) that the excellent MegaVoice Brass from T2 is not in the XS. The samples (for instance the “run up” or jazz “chaotic vibrato” - sorry, I’m not a brass player, don’t know the proper term) are just not included in XS’ Wave ROM.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 04:51 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

billrock,

Wrong. I have a TYROS2, so I know how good this machine is, and I have an ES8 too, again I know how good the ES8 is either.

So what do you know? Did you played the XS already?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 05:12 AM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-25-2002

direct links

And here are direct links for Bert and Athan demos, so you could download them to your computer:

[url=http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Multimedia/NAMM/MP_MotifXSAthan.flv]http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Multimedia/NAMM/MP_MotifXSAthan.flv [/url] (41 MBytes)
[url=http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Multimedia/NAMM/MP_MotifXSDealerMtg.flv]http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Multimedia/NAMM/MP_MotifXSDealerMtg.flv [/url] (32 MBytes)

You’ll need a player which understands FLV format, such as FLV Player 1.3.3 for Windows .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 05:14 AM
J W CARTER
Total Posts:  3522
Joined  10-10-2006

Please, where is a demostration viedo of the MM6/8?
I see all the XS viedos, at the Namm show, but non of the MM6-8 videos, are there any?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 05:26 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

I see all the XS viedos, at the Namm show, but non of the MM6-8 videos, are there any?

Well, there won’t be any MM8 video, that’s for sure - such synth doesn’t exist /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 06:08 AM
dorremifasol
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  10-17-2005

Re: direct links

Dmitri, thank you very much for the direct links. I tried to save them yesterday without any luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 07:14 AM
dash
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-10-2006

Jan

“Wrong. I have a TYROS2, so I know how good this machine is, and I have an ES8 too, again I know how good the ES8 is either. “

You’ve got the experience with the T2 and ES alike. Is the T2 worth the money? Would you buy one all over again? Does it have any blaring shortcomings? If i’m not going to/or want to program or sample will I be happy with the T2 in your opinion?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 07:45 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Hi Dash,

Yes, The Tyros2 is worthed twice the amount I have payed for.
You sample everything you want using a mic or whatever kind of sound source and put it under the keys of yr keyboard. Yes, you have total flexabillity in programming and sequencing of voices, styles, midi files and audio files.

Especially when you have a Cubase sequencer, SX3 or Cubase 4 or whatever, I can use my ES8 first and lay down some midi tracks withit and in case I want one of the SUPER atticiulation voices of the T2, for the solo part, I simply play a solo on the T2 and recorded it first as midi file and than record the solo as a wav (AUDIO) file to my USB stick and loaded as an AUDIO track in my Cubase sequencer, and I have the full advantage of a SUPER articulation sound together with my ES tracks. What about that?

The TYROS2 is not only a arranger/entertainer keyboard, it is a full operation WORK station as well. Only you do not need all these complicated manuals to work with a T2. Thatswhy there is almost no activities going on on the TYROS forums. LOL. The T2 works as you expected.

ONE DISAVANTAGE OF THE TYROS2 IMHO is the keyboard itself, when you compare it with the ES8 keyboard. Therefore I hope, someday a TYROS3 will arise with an ES8 like keyboard. A solid feeling one. Not like the ES6/7 keyboards or other arranger keyboards have.

No I have no regrets, buying the T2

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 07:58 AM
Lee Batchelor
Total Posts:  0
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi Dash!

I had the ES7 and now own the Tyros II.  Although I didn’t do a lot of external sequencing with my ES7, I never used any of its advanced functions like sampling, effects, voice editing and so on.  As a mainly live player of blues and rock, the ES truly performed well on stage.  I also had the PSR 3000 at the time for another type of duet gig which I do about 20 times a year.  My decision to upgrade to the Tyros II was based on wanting an upgraded sound from the 3000 and NOT miss anything I had available to me on the ES.  It worked well with my T2 purchase. 

In fact, the question has been put forth about some things missing on the new XS that are contained on the Tyros II.  You can count on that being true. Case in point, the ES didn’t have the GROWL SAX voice that my 3000 had.  That sample blows away all the sax voices on the ES and I even tried editing those voices.  The Tyros II retained that growl sax.  It’s very handy for 50s-60s style playing and the saxes on the ES just didn’t cut it for me, compared to the growl sax.  So Yamaha does seem to include really neat stuff on their so called “lesser” keyboards, whereas you would think that the most recent version would have everything all keyboards had in prior models, plus new stuff.  I guess that’s old thinking.

I use a P120 stage piano with my Tyros II for all live gigs.  I enjoy the weighted key action of the 120 and the great samples on the Tyros II for brass, strings, organs and sax sounds etc..

To be fair, I think Yamaha tries their best to calculate the goals of the Arranger player v.s the Workstation player and provide some overlap between the two.  If the Arranger has some really slick functions that the Workstation seems to lack, it’s because the Workstation can do amazing things the Arranger can’t do.

Just my slant on all this.  The ideal?  T2 and XS8.....Lee

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 09:26 AM
billrock
Total Posts:  1037
Joined  11-14-2004

I am sure Yamaha is not going to put ALL the sounds of the T2 on the XS plus the automated articulation, then who will buy the T2 anymore?

Like crybaby (Foley) once said, Yamaha can put more features than they put on the XS (including VA/VL/breath controller built in), circular graphic leds with endless rotary encoders, etc. But they won’t because of 2 reasons:

1) It will be too expensive to afford
2) There will be no more future Yamaha synths.

So people should buy whatever they feel is right...I am not too much into jazz/brass sounds, but if thats what you are into, then get T2!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 09:34 AM
Dynosaur
Total Posts:  764
Joined  01-07-2003

Lee and Jan,

Lee, you wired a P20 as a controller keyboard for the T2. How? This is very important to me because if that hybrid combo is possible, it’s an alternative to an XS.

Jan, have you ever used your ES8 as a controller for the T2?

I own an ES8 and would love to have arranger capabilities again (once owned a PSR740) without giving up my ES8 keybed, which I love.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 5

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS OS loading time
Next Topic:

XS demo vs M3 demo... ››