mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif XS demo video"

Page 2 of 5
Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 02:37 PM
nirsul
Total Posts:  0
Joined  02-15-2005

Re: Motif XS demo video

I agree with pianokim - The XS looks nice, but basically - except for the vocoder, my ES does sound and perform just the same.

Also, many of the new features are stuff wich most of us will not use or notice.

8 parts per voice ? many of the ES use even less .

Now - Had they painted it black - that would make me rush to buy it. LOL

Really - the new features do not seem to justify me selling the ES for 700-1000$ less than it paid price than adding much more to buy a new one.

NIR

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 03:08 PM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

8 parts per voice ? many of the ES use even less .
It has been already explained NUMEROUS times why XS offers 8 elements instead of 4.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 04:13 PM
EbMaj7
Total Posts:  107
Joined  12-20-2005

It’s Called ‘Boogie Wonderland’
I forget who recorded it though,
Ahh Disco,mmm…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 04:16 PM
billrock
Total Posts:  1037
Joined  11-14-2004

Matocaster,

I totally agree with you that the Korg sounds plastic (see my other post)..its cheesy. Motif XS has much better and excellent sounds (after seeing the video demos).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 04:21 PM
EbMaj7
Total Posts:  107
Joined  12-20-2005

First things first, Way to GO Bert! (My hero!)

Thank you for another inspirational performance from Bert.

We have a fan club here that will go nuts for this.
No, honestly, we do!
Can the clip be downloaded and saved?

I hope the XS gives us the option of putting the super articulation voices on auto mode so they react the same way they would on a Tyros 2. The idea of having to use a hand to switch it on or off seems less than convenient.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 06:54 PM
danoan522
Joined  09-11-2006

For some reason, i have some problems locating the demo video again...it has been shifted...can someone help?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 07:55 PM
danoan522
Joined  09-11-2006

Never mind, my lack of scrolling. lol

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 08:52 PM
jazzman65
Total Posts:  253
Joined  01-12-2007

I think Earth Wind and Fire and the Emotions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 09:58 PM
Dman
Joined  09-29-2006

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 10:23 PM
papaphoenix
Total Posts:  1614
Joined  03-09-2004

There is new videos, use the scrowling bar to go down.
There is Athan Billius video on the Xs now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 10:29 PM
Dman
Joined  09-29-2006

WOW that demo from bert is tight!

The piano sound is excellent very great sounding.

The organ sound made me laugh because it’s really good.

The features of the MotifXS are very nice. 

Can’t wait to get my XS7!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 10:39 PM
billrock
Joined  11-14-2004

Btw, in that same website link, did anyone watch the Arturia demo? Pathetic! And they didn’t even show the Origin in action - maybe they are not ready yet. Since Arturia is under Yamaha umbrella, I have no doubt that Origin will be a great synth - especially the Yamaha CS80 which sounds awesome.

I like Athan’s demo for the XS too. Its pretty cool, though somewhat cheesy at times. Athan’s a very refined speaker - very informative compared to Bert’s demo, while Bert speaks like a maniac and is funny - which adds some twist to his shows that make it exciting! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Also, I like Bert’s playing style and his selection of sounds/beats.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 11:14 PM
spalding
Total Posts:  98
Joined  06-27-2005

I like Bert and his demos are always amusing. However this did not even put apiece of paper thickness to show the improvement of the XS over the ES motif. There is nothing that i saw that would encourage me as a buyer to choose the XS over the ES.If i wanted a vocoder, should i buy a whole new keyboard just to aqcuire that ? In fact the mercenary in me would be quite pleased that so many here are planning to sell their ES’s because it means that the market will soon be a great place to pick up a cheap ES that is to my ears (from the demos at least as good as the XS.) Gear lust is a wonderful thing when it works in my favour ! The Demo of the XS was in a live setting and so e sound quality although not great is going to be the same for anyone playing out live. Tell me if that piano is going to sound anybetter than the grand piano on the existing Motif ES ?

And who wants to trigger Exended articulation samples by taking one hand off the keyboard and pushing a button when using say the Tyros i can trigger them using one hand ? Thats such a backward step and yet yamaha are trying to market this as an improvement ? Also the emphasis is now on these “intelligent “ arpegiators that you can have up to 4 running at one point in time . On other keyboards yamaha call them styles that can have up to 8 elements running at one point in time and they follow your chords in a much more accurate way than the XS is only just now able to do. This technology has been available for decades and is used on all arranger keyboards universally. Why is Ethan getting excited about that in his demo ? I have been jamming with, being inspired by and writing songs using arrangers for years. Did Ethan just discover this marvelous creative tool ?

Sounds to me like this year Yamaha was simply out of ideas and so stole a few from their existing product range , repackaged it and “marketed” the hell out of it to try and sell some units.

I love the sound of the XS but i Challenge anyone if they could not produce the same sound on their existing ES board. And if you cant then dont buy the XS because you wont be able to make the sound on that instrument either.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2007 @ 11:25 PM
billrock
Joined  11-14-2004

I disagree with you, Spalding!

I owned a ES7 which I sold, because despite having great acoustic/natural sounds, I found many synth sounds lacking presence.

Here, I enjoyed hearing Athan’s pads and Bert’s bass and drums. The guitars sounded almost the same as ES, I agree, because the ES simply has excellent guitars. As far as all the acoustic/orchestral sounds, I think the XS has dramatically improved over the ES, because of all the nuances (I’m sure you can’t hear it very properly because of the video recording)....I don’t think I found the $8500 Korg Oasys live demo this fascinating when it comes to the sound quality.

As far as comparing arrangers to pro synths, its not fair simply because arrangers are usually for amateurs and semi-pros who like the auto-accompaniment feature for Karaokes, 1 man-bands in hotels/weddings.

XS is about song creation, not simply song playing. As Jote mentioned elsewhere, the sounds from the XS will be heard in radios, TV shows, MTV, etc.

I am sure the 4 arpeggiators on the XS has a lot of parameters you can tweak unlike the ‘FIXED’ 8 arpeggios (auto-accompaniment) on the Tyros 2. I agree you can program your own accompaniment, which is a cool feature, but I don’t think you can access all the different sound-design parameters like on the XS.

As far as ‘taking hands of a keyboard and pushing a button’ for extended articulation, I have to disagree. Unlike Roland or Korg, Yamaha is known for giving a lot of options with controllers. With 2 foot switches and 2 foot-controllers, you don’t even have to take your hands off the keyboard to get articulation.

Besides the sound quality, I think that the humungous number of controllers on the XS will be another reason for it to blow the M3 away....M3 is pathetic, just 8 sliders and the ‘TEMPO KNOB’ (think Vedran Dakic....lol) besides the other standards controllers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2007 @ 01:37 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

As Jote mentioned elsewhere, the sounds from the XS will be heard in radios, TV shows, MTV, etc.

Yeah, but what bothers me is that T2 has better sounds than XS, especially when taking into account the above. Music production gear should have better sounds than one-man-band arranger!

Yamaha is known for giving a lot of options with controllers. With 2 foot switches and 2 foot-controllers, you don’t even have to take your hands off the keyboard to get articulation.

Still, I’d be happy if XS could do articulations on the fly, just as T2. To me that’s much more inspring, especially when you’re improvising or laying your initial ideas for a track.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 5

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS OS loading time
Next Topic:

XS demo vs M3 demo... ››