mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What about my breath controller!!?!"

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 03:01 PM
WayNyce
Total Posts:  20
Joined  01-08-2005

Main selling point for me when buying the motif was the plug in board vl-150 in combination with the breath controller. Without this I probably won’t be interested in upgrading. Why would they abandon this feature?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 03:38 PM
jasonmitchell
Total Posts:  83
Joined  09-30-2006

Re: What about my breath controller!!?!

I agree wholeheartedly.  And I mourn the loss of expansion slots.  Seems a bad idea to take away features that drew some of us to Yamaha in the first place.  In the case of the breath controller, does anyone think it possible that an OS update could ever make it usable on the XS in the future, maybe through one of the existing jacks?  I can only hope.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 05:17 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

While there is no way you’ll ever be able to add PLG boards to a Motif XS, if all you are after is a breath controller input, you could use a Breath Controller interface such as the MIDI Solutions Breath Controller box (pictured below). This would allow you to program voices to use a BC3A breath controller as a MIDI controller for voices in the Motif XS.

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/304517-bth.jpg

(Of course, the list price is little steep - $199. Yikes! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=)

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 09:00 PM
billrock
Total Posts:  1037
Joined  11-14-2004

I don’t mourn the loss of PLG slots, as the PLG boards were tedious, outdated technology. I was hoping that Yamaha, being the 1st developer of modeling, would incorporate virtual acoustic, analog modeling and FM into one unit like the Alesis Fusion (or even the old Yamaha EX5). Or atleast maybe release an update (like the radias expansion on the Korg M3).

I am sure the sounds are stunning, as the demos on this site are clearer and I can hear the difference. But having seen a video of the new Roland V-synth GT that uses AP (their version of super articulation/modeling), I was impressed by that.

However, even if there is no other forms of synthesis, I am STILL TEMPTED to buy the XS. Having heard the Motif XS and the Korg M3, I am more inclined to the XS.

I would specifically like to hear the quality of sounds that Korg/Roland had a slight edge over Yamaha before: synth leads, pads, synth basses - specifically the depth, spaciousness and clarity.

I know for a fact that nothing will beat the XS in drum sounds and natural stuff (HOPEFULLY IN PAR WITH THE TYROS 2), not to mention the superb pattern sequencer with arps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 09:19 PM
dash
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-10-2006

The answer is simple. Don’t buy the XS. Teach Yamaha a lesson and hold on to your money. Why hold back the T2 technology? Why remove what their loyal customers want such as plug-ins, a breath controller, mega voices, super Art’s samples etc. We need to get their attention and get it right before they push this one out. I don’t even care if they put it all in and charge $3,000 for the XS6. At least that’s better than being forced to buy a T2 & XS, getting mad and going to a competitor.  One thing no one(especially Yamaha) seems to want to build is a keyboard that does everything (relative to what technology is available). Can it be done? Yes! So why not do it and be the first to be great instead of just ordinary with a twist. Instead of deciding for us what they(Yamaha) will put in and leave out, put it all in and if we don’t need it, we won’t use it. The XS should not lack anything that the previous models offered, no brainer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 09:25 PM
dash
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-10-2006

Oh, I just remembered. The first Yamaha keyboard I had was a DX100. Then a SY77 then a SY99 which I hated. I think I ended with an EX5 and we all know the problems with that one and 8 years later have never touched a Yamaha. I got tired of Yamaha. I was hoping this XS would make amends for all the former shortcomings and was considering Yamaha once again but the more I hear about this one the less I like about it.  Better get it right this time Yamaha, and pull one out of your .........

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ NAMM-View: XS Impresses
Next Topic:

How funny, now eveyone likes the T2 ››