mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS and mLAN"

Posted on: January 18, 2007 @ 01:40 AM
Captain Adrenalin
Total Posts:  342
Joined  02-17-2004

So, if my assumption is right (after reading the pdf in the behind the manual section) then the XS cannot be integrated in the current mLAN setup with 01x and i88x. We can use of course the digital connection on the XS to stay in the digital domain when connecting it to the 01x or i88x.

I’m a bit confused whether we can use current mLAN setup without the XS (01x, i88x and computer) and the XS firewire connectivity (peer-to-peer) with the computer. And on the same computer. I doubt that.

Could anyone clear up this a bit for me?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2007 @ 04:44 AM
NeuroRon
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-17-2004

Re: XS and mLAN

I think you’re mistaken. The PDF manual says you CAN use this as an independent FW interface, BUT

Q. What is the relationship between Motif XS peer to peer Firewire connectivity and mLAN ?
A. The Motif XS’s peer to peer Firewire connectivity is based on mLAN so our target is to offer users the choice to download optional software to expand their Motif XS to whatever mLAN capabilities are currently available on their computer’s operating systems.
On the PC side, this mLAN capability is already robust, low latency networking capabilities accommodating flexible connectivity between multiple devices.

So, it looks like you CAN (after downloading add’l software integrate the MoXS into your current i88x/01x/ES mLAN network. I would suspect (probably more like HOPE) that there will be updated versions of the i88x and 01x that also go in this direction.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2007 @ 05:40 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

The above poster is absolutely right.

After downloading additional software ( the mLAN Tools) you will be able to connect to the 01X, i88x or other mLAN gear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2007 @ 05:59 AM
dorremifasol
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  10-17-2005

Cool! Any chance of having inserts in the mLan audio inputs? Something like the ES analog input. This way you could use the XS superb efects with any mLAN enabled device or a Cubase audio track.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2007 @ 06:15 AM
fuse
Total Posts:  54
Joined  09-23-2002

You’d need a driver update though since the hardware specifics per type of hardware are coded into a .dll file. (for windows)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2007 @ 06:51 AM
NeuroRon
Joined  01-17-2004

The problem I see with the non-mLAN integration is that I (maybe erroneously) would think that the XS audio integration uses an ASIO driver and that would conflict with your other audio interface (given the current state of ASIO drivers).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2007 @ 08:26 AM
Captain Adrenalin
Total Posts:  342
Joined  02-17-2004

Thanks for your helps. It’s a good news indeed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2007 @ 06:13 PM
Acts7
Total Posts:  2586
Joined  11-04-2003

so does the XS now have capability to directly connect to the pc for storing files and editing samples?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2007 @ 11:01 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

So does the XS now have capability to directly connect to the pc for storing files and editing samples?

You would do that via the Ethernet connection.

Firewire is for (16 out /6 in multichannel audio and three ports of MIDI

SP/DIF is stereo digital outputs
USB to Host is another way to do the multi port MIDI

USB 2 to device is for external storage devices like hard disk, flash drives , etc.

Ethernet is for direct connection to your computer for saving and loading files

Anyway you look at it there is lots of connectivity for your different needs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 05:41 AM
kday
Total Posts:  401
Joined  02-17-2004

How come yamaha always chooses the older near obsolete technology for storage ?  USB 2.0 on the new Motif is like putting USB 1.0 on the old Motif there were faster better newer storage formats readily available at design time like SATA 2.

I have a Alesis Fusion which was probably designed after the Motif XS and it has the newer faster SATA 2 ports which are much faster than USB 2.0 .

So why does Yamaha always drag their feet and punish us with near obsolete options when it comes to external storage technology?  Having to buy a thousand dollar computer with a ethernet card for ext storage is not an feasible option for most Motif users or synth players.

How would they feel if we forced their cars to drive at 40 mph max when they know it much fatser engines out there capable of moving the vehicle much faster? The frustration they would feel is the frustration we feel being intentionally bottlenecked with always near obsolete ext save port options on these yamaha synths.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 05:55 AM
Jote
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  07-29-2002

USB is the most popular standard out there for connecting external devices, period. eSATA (external SATA) isn’t that popular and I didn’t even know there was a single synth supporting this standard… Besides, AFAIK eSATA requires a separate power cable, and the length of the eSATA cable is limited to 2m as opposed to 5m in case of USB.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 10:09 AM
Acts7
Total Posts:  2586
Joined  11-04-2003

Having to buy a thousand dollar computer with a ethernet card for ext storage is not an feasible option for most Motif users or synth players

Well, you are here on the interenet. So you have a computer already.
Not attempting to be funny. Seriously. I hear this often. Well, its not feasible because then I have to buy a computer. How are you posting on the Interenet if you dont have even a basic computer whereby you could store some files and folders? Okay so you may have to add a nic card? Other than that… It doesnt sound like a logical argument.

As far as the technology Yamaha uses, it has been my witness that they go with SAFE. So using usb 2.0 is a very safe option. For the next 10 years Im sure you will still be able to find USB devices and USB thumbdrives. USB 2 is also VERY fast. In my photography, I opt to use usb 2 instead of firewire because its much more efficient and you can find a usb port ANYWHERE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2007 @ 10:13 AM
smmoe2k2@yahoo.com
Joined  06-02-2006

Hey not knocking the XS cannot wait to check it out but it seems that maybe sata 2 could have been easily added do to the PGL exit, I would have love for the new board to have maybe aleast 1gig or MORE sounds myself. I think the MANUFACTORS can real take it UP evenmore. I REALLY THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING an S90ES Because of the 53 meg piano that I hear is really good. But the new XS killed that notion. They could have easily added 1gig piano IMHO /forums/images/icons/confused.gif alt= if I have to spend my money anyway Just bring it. Quit teasing me/we/us .

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Wow, new XS, new look
Next Topic:

Just wanted to say HELLO! ››