mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Did I post an impossible to answer problem"

Page 1 of 4
Posted on: January 02, 2007 @ 01:29 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

I repeat my problem.

Why can I not change my ASIO mLan setting in Cubase SX3.1?

mLan users,

I have always worked with my ES8 with mLAN16E and O1X mixer in the mLan setup with Cubase SX3.1. It still works fine, however by accident I have noticed that in the:

Device Set up, VST audio bay the Master driver window shows now:ASIO multimedia driver, instead of ASIO mLAN driver. The strange thing is when I try to change that into ASIO mLAN, I get an error message “Channel 0/0 could not be set on ASIO driver ASIO mLAN”

What happens. What did I by accident change in my system setup or Cubase Set up. My ES8 still works with the mLAN connection, and the Graphic Patchbay looks normal too.

I hope somebody has an idea what its wrong suddenly.

Gear: ES8, mLan16, Tyros2, 01X, SX3.1, TX81Z,
Roland Canvas CS55, TG500, two hands

Edited by jan bruijn (12/29/06 10:56 AM)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2007 @ 05:42 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: Did I post an impossible to answer problem

Hi Jan,
Can’t tell you what went wrong as that is abnormal behaviour you are seeing. Have you tried uninstalling the ASIO mLAN driver completely from the computer, then (re)installing and setting it up again...as you did originally?.....................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2007 @ 07:14 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t really see a problem. Each time I read your post I see the line: “ It still works fine, however by accident I have noticed that in the:...”

If it still works fine then I am confused as to what needs fixing. Please clarify what you would like to see happen…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 12:14 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Bad Mister,

Happy new year to all mo brothers and listeners.

I want to work with the ASIO mLan setting again in Cubase SX3.1. Its now somehow changed into “ASIO multimedia driver” and it shows a lattency of more than 400 msec? Strange thing is I do not hear that lattency effect occurs.

The problem is that when you select ASIO mLAN in the device setup, VST audio bay. You can select ASIO mLAN, but then the following message pops-up:

“Channel 0/0 could not be set on ASIO driver ASIO mLAN”

Also using F4, I cannot select ASIO mLAN channels.

I have no idea what causes this ASIO mulitmedia driver setting, and that it cannot changed any more.

What does it mean, that channel 0/0 could not be set on ASIO driver ASIO mLAN.?

Why seems everything still working normal. I do not like unexplained things happens in my PC and music programs. I do like to understand, why it happens. Can it heard my work?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 12:31 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

FrankE

The best wishes for 2007 too.

I will follow up yr suggestions as soon as there is no other solution available. I do not like the un-and re-install software procedure. Maybe as a last ressort.

I have looked into my soundcard settings to, because I suspect my soundcard has something to do with this strange effect. I just wonder, its maybe the PC. My PC has a soundchip on the motherboard as well and I did shut it down in the past. Maybe somehow this sound chip came alive again and interfere somehow with my settings. I will check that this evening as well. Oh well, I doubt thats the problem.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 07:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I still cannot figure if you really have a problem or you are just looking for an explanation. Here is some information that may help:

_When you select the “Master ASIO Driver” if it represents a change from a previous setting you get a warning dialog box that asks you if you wish to SWITCH drivers. “Do you want to switch ASIO driver?” I see no mention of this in your post. Until you select either “SWITCH” or “KEEP” nothing changes.

_If you boot up Cubase SX and you have not started the mLAN Driver, Cubase will not be able to select it. In other words, I assume you have verified that the mLAN Driver is indeed running…

_When you say “it still works fine”, then later you say “Also using F4, I cannot select ASIO mLAN channels.” So is it working or not working - I am confused.

_Make sure the blue mLAN LED is lit on your mLAN16E and on the back panel of your 01X

_Were you using WDM?

You mention several times that you are using Cubase SX3.1 - you do realize that the latest version is 3.1.1 (not that this would be the fix but it always pays to have the latest version) - there is a chance, when you do not have the latest version, that you are running into a long ago fixed bug (that only shows up on alternate Wednesdays when it rains). Let us know :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 08:50 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Jan,
And Happy New Year to you as well.
I understand your concern re reinstalling the driver, but it really is nothing to cause great concern IF you find it’s necessary. The bottom line is that your ASIO mLAN driver should indeed be showing up in Cubase, whether things appear to be “working” or not. If you are using the latest version of SX, have disabled on board audio in your BIOS and have not noted a problem with the driver in XP’s Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager etc., or a problem that can’t be fixed there (or you see that the device is not working) then you will need to reinstall. Reinstallation is not the first thing to consider of course, but if all else fails, you may wish to try it. But first, do look at all the other things Bad Mister and I have mentioned, and ensure it’s not just something simple. I’d want to fix this too if indeed you are unable to access the ASIO mLAN driver from within Cubase, as you report. If you can’t, something is definitely not right. It may not appear to be serious, especially if you feel everything is still working, but IMHO it’s definitely not “right” either.......................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 10:55 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Bad Mister and FrankE,

I have checked everything. I have SX3.1.1

Yes, all the blue Led’s are lighting. I started the mLan and Graphic Patch Bay first, before I start loading Cubase SX3.1.1

I do not understand yr question “were you using WDM” in the mLAN driver setup, is on medium CP performance and the WDM sample bit is 16 bit.

When I select the ASIO mLAN option, a pop-up screen shows and ask whether I want to switch. I choose to switch to ASIO mLAN, than he comes with 0/0 channel blah blah thing, what I do not understand, and falls back on the ASIO mulit media driver setting.

When I select via F4 I see that the channels are on X-FI channels instead of mLAN channels. So somehow my Soundblaster X-FI card is interfering here and I cannot find were or how to change that.

Question: has this somehow a link with the WDM use. Were stands WDM for? Maybe stupid of me, but I have no idea? I cannot remember I have set anything for this WDM thing?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 12:00 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Jan...this is just a hunch,but I had a similar issue and ended up going into the system of my PC to straighten it out. I did intail an uninstall and re-install, but it cleared things back up.

I suggest that you go into your settings in your PC ( I thought that reading your initial post as it seems to be close to a “break in the chain” I dealt with).
Give it a look at least....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 02:36 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

TheDukester,

Thanks. I am afraid I have to follow up yr suggestions and that of frankE. I hate to do that, uninstall and re-install programs. Yakkie. You never know how that ends. LOL.

Anyway, thanks guys, I know you care.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 02:45 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Jan,
Re: “So somehow my Soundblaster X-FI card is interfering here and I cannot find were or how to change that.”
---An active SoundBlaster card in your music computer along with your mLAN? IMHO, NOT a good idea at all. No wonder you may be starting to experience abnormalities in Cubase. It is advised that you a) completely disable any “onboard” audio device on your motherboard in the BIOS, and b) that you remove the Soundblaster card AND its drivers from the computer completely. After that you may still have to uninstall then reinstall the ASIO mLAN driver to get Cubase to see it again.

Re: “WDM”:
--Short for Windows Driver Model, a driver technology developed by Microsoft to create drivers that are source-code compatible for Windows 98, 2000, Me and XP.

WDM works by channeling some of the work of the device driver into portions of the code that are integrated into the operating system. These portions of code handle all of the low-level buffer management, including DMA and Plug and Play device enumeration. The WDM device driver becomes more streamlined with less code and works at greater efficiency.

All versions of Microsoft Windows after Windows 95 have implemented WDM. Kernel-mode drivers that follow WDM rules are called WDM drivers.

Hope this helps.....................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 03:00 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

frankE,

What are you telling me now. I have to get rid of my expensive X-Fi board and all the drivers. Is it not possible to run mLAN and Cubase SX3.1.1 seperately from the soundcard?

I use my computer for all kind of things (WINDOWS XP Pro) duo core system. I run all kind of software on this system, from bookkeeping upto games and Cubase SX3.1.1 with mLAN and digital movie editing.

It has worked for years correctly, however I must admit I have this new X-Fi board only a couple of month’s now. But it did work fine, sofar.

I know a fully dedicated PC for music only is the best thing you can do.

Bummer, now I have to buy a second PC. LOL

BTW, what has WDM to do with mLAN settings?

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2007 @ 03:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Actually there is no need to remove your Soundblaster, because when you select mLAN it is automatically disabled. And when you are not using mLAN it restores your computer to its installed soundcard. This part is absolutely seamless on the PC and has never presented a problem.

WDM allows you to play your Windows sounds through your mLAN sound system (and some applications use WDM - mLAN can playback stereo audio via WDM). Normally, and with Cubase, specifically, you would select mLAN as your soundcard and ASIO mLAN as your MASTER ASIO DRIVER.

However, when you not using Cubase, I was asking if you had activated WDM on your computer (this is handled in the Graphic Patchbay… you would have had to click on the computer icon and selected the “WDM OUT” = 2CH.) If you did not do this then no worries.

WDM would allow sounds that Windows makes and some other applications to use your mLAN setup as the soundcard - it will allow stereo audio from computer applications that use WDM.

Presumably you have the typical (inexpensive) computer speakers connected to the Soundblaster, and you have a good pair of studio monitors connected to your 01X… this is typical.

When you select mLAN as your soundcard, the audio will go through the 01X to your studio monitors… when you select mLAN and you activate WDM OUT (2CH) in the Graphic Patchbay, sounds that typically would play through your computer speakers will be routed to your 01X and to your studio monitors. Games, for example, use your Soundblaster - but if you so desire you can reroute the audio (stereo) to your mLAN rig… for fun once, I played games through my MSP10 Studio monitors - parted what little hair I have left!!!… :-)

When you do not activate the mLAN driver, then your computer will boot up as it always did and you can use your Soundblaster… it will not interfere with your mLAN setup. It is an either/or situation. mLAN is either active or not.

However, mLAN can handle simultaneously ASIO mLAN and WDM applications, but when mLAN is not active (obviously) you would want to use your regular soundcard (Soundblaster)… Do not feel that you must remove it, that simply is not necessary. Never has been and mLAN is designed to co-exist with whatever other soundcard you might want to use in other applications.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2007 @ 12:14 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Bad Mister

Thanks.

Rest one question.

Why can I not change in Cubase SX3.1.1, the Master Asio driver from the Asio mulit media into the ASIO mLAN any more? When I try, it ask for switch or Keep, I choose switch, and then he comes with the messages of “Channel 0/0 could not be set on ASIO driver ASIO mLAN” and refuses to switch and goes back to the ASIO multi media setting.

The strange thing is when I play my ES8 the sounds still are going via my 01X, I assume via mLAN because the Fire Wire cables are connected and the blue LED’s are on. my O1X is on line and the multi voice editor si working.

With the F4 function key you normally can set busses to mLAN channels, but in this case it mentioned some X-Fi channels 1 and 2 in the In and outbus. Very strange. I cannot change this channels into a MLAN channels either.

Still the audio from the ES8 is coming via the headphone output of the 01X. Its all very puzzling to me.

I think I will reinstall the mLAN drivers and maybe reinstall CUBASE SX3.1.1 as well.

BTW Bad Mister, do you know why I have to wait so long on my upgrade to Cubase 4 in Europe, I did order one already in November 2006 and still not getting one. Is Europe (The Netherlands) later with this kind of things?

When I ask my dealer, I get the answer Steinberg is not delivering yet. I do not believe that. However, to get it at a reasonable price I had to buy it from the dealer who sold me the Cubase SX3 in the first place. Right.

Anyway thanks for letting me know I can keep my Soundcard.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2007 @ 05:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No, I have no idea what goes on in Europe… we have our hands full just keeping up on what’s going on here :-)

The Master ASIO Driver setting in Cubase is a Cubase setting. I am not surprised that your Motif ES can communicate with your 01X… these devices are mLAN and the mLAN driver is running on your computer. It would be running whether or not you have an application (Cubase) using it.

In fact, the Motif ES and the 01X can communicate even if the computer is not ON (provided you have the 01X as your Master clock) - on the Windows PC you can easily have any mLAN device be the master clock (something Apple never seemed to understand)… thus you can use mLAN devices without a computer being online at all. Cool!

Analog example:
This would be easier to understand if all connections were analog. If you plugged your keyboard into your mixer with old style 1/4” cables for example, signal would flow between the keyboard and the mixer… whether or not you turned on your tape recorder. It is not necessary for your tape recorder (Cubase/Computer in this analogy) to be active at all for you to play your keyboard and hear your audio.

It is Cubase, the application, that is having a problem connecting to the ASIO mLAN Driver. Why… is what we need to find out.

If I could look at your system I would take a look at your Graphic Patchbay… Please do and see if you see anything unusual there. Any ERROR messages showing?  If you can post a screen shot - that would be helpful.

Also with Cubase open - I’d like you to right click on the mLAN MANAGER icon in your System Tray and launch the “DRIVER SETUP”. Tell us what you see when this opens.  Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2007 @ 05:44 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Bad Mister,

OK. Thanks sofar. I will look into the system to-night. Hopefully I can detect some strange setting. About mLAN you are right. I did sometimes used the ES and the 01X without Cubase SX. I was forgotten that totally.

OK, I will concentrate on the Cubase settings.

Thanks

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 4

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Silly Questions From Newbie With Big Headache
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››