mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "USB or MIDI Cables"

Posted on: November 12, 2006 @ 10:05 AM
sprdave
Total Posts:  22
Joined  01-02-2005

Hello. Plese do not be angry with me if this question has already been asked. I did try to search first.
Question: I want to use the “Software” that came with my MOTIF Rack. The manual says to press the UTILTY key and choose USB under MIDI. When I do that I get no sound from my keyboard. I have MIDI cables going MIDI Out to IN to the Motif. And the reverse going back to my keyboard. When I keep the UTITLTY button as MIDI and not USB I get sound.

I guess my question is. “When using a USB cable from the PC to the MOTIF do I still need to hook up the MIDI cables? It seems to be CANCELLING out my USB connection. Is it one or the other? Manual is confusing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2006 @ 10:18 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: USB or MIDI Cables

If you are using the Motif Rack as your USB MIDI interface (this means it is connected to the computer by a USB cable) then the MIDI keyboard should be plugged into the MIDI IN jack of the Motif Rack. And the MIDI IN/OUT parameter should be set to USB

This is correct.

You will hear no sound - unless particular requirements are met....

What you are missing is that you also need a computer application (like the software you are attempting to try out) to ECHO back the signal to the Motif Rack.

Your keyboard key-presses will send MIDI data into the MIDI IN jack - this information will bypass completely the Motif Rack’s Tone Generator and travel through the USB cable into your computer. Your computer will be running a software application (like SQ01 or Cubase LE) and that software application will allow you to “echo” or bounce the signal back on a specific MIDI channel (on a track by track basis) - back via the USB cable to the Motif Rack’s Tone Generator.

This occurs when you select a TRACK in the application… the track’s MIDI OUTPUT settings will determine what PART of the Motif Rack will respond. The Motif Rack can receive on 16 MIDI channels when in MULTI mode. So if your MIDI Track is set to transmit via “Yamaha USB OUT 0-1” on MIDI channel 1, then the PART assigned to receive MIDI channel 1 will sound. If your MIDI Track is set to transmit via “Yamaha USB OUT 0-2” on MIDI channel 2, then the PART assigned to receive on MIDI channel 2 will respond.

see the diagram on Page 17 of the Motif Rack manual: Look closely you will see that signal from the MIDI keyboard (controller pass through the Motif Rack - do not go to the Tone Generator at all), go to the computer, are echoed back via USB to the Motif Rack’s Tone Generator.

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/184190-MotifRack.JPG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2006 @ 10:22 AM
sprdave
Joined  01-02-2005

Okay Thanks!!! Just looking at that again. Is it self explanitory setting this up in the software?  Thanks, Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2006 @ 12:38 PM
sprdave
Joined  01-02-2005

I still cannot figure out how to get sound. I do not know how to set up Ehco Back in the YAMAHA SQ01 software. Any help would be greatly apprciated. Thanks, Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2006 @ 03:49 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

You need to select a MIDI Track in SQ01. There are two types of tracks, each is clearly labeled: AUDIO and MIDI

When you select a MIDI track you will be able to set a MIDI OUTPUT for that track and set a MIDI channel for that track

http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/291154-SQ01.JPG

When you select a track (highlight it in aquamarine) its information appears at the left column - telling what type of track it is. One labeled AUDIO MIXER is an AUDIO track, one with the Yamaha USB OUT 0-1 written on it, is a MIDI track. CH = Channel.

You will have to spend a little time with the SQ01 manual - Click on HELP. It is actually fairly good at explaining the basics - it certainly can show you with words and pictures better than I can here.

Under the SETUP option on the main menu, you will want to click on MIDI DEVICE and make sure you highlight the “Yamaha USB MIDI IN 0-1” and the “Yamaha USB MIDI OUT 0-1” so that they are active.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2006 @ 02:52 PM
skyscraper
Total Posts:  0
Joined  10-09-2006

Hi,

It was my mistake not to read at first this topic, since it handles exactly my problem as well. Sorry for having opened a new topic!

But after having read your instructions unfortunatley I could get smarter, for I still have the same problem, and cannot hear any voice out of my ES Rack while recording, only while listening to what I’ve already recorded.

Is this because I still have the SQ01V1.0.13E?

sky

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2007 @ 01:16 PM
bruce.dailey@crossco.com
Total Posts:  0
Joined  04-30-2007

using Motif Rack as USB interface

Hello - I read your thorough description about using the MR as a USB interface, including your pasted diagram from page 17 of the MR manual. I’m using Sibelius software and only wish to input midi note data via this setup (not concerned with accessing MR sounds). The Yamaha USB interface is installed on my Windows XP PC, and the “YAMAHA USB IN 0-1” device seems to show up correctly as a midi input device in Sibelius (as well as a couple older midi programs as well). The “MIDI IN/OUT” is set to “USB” on the MR, and I have verified that the keyboard is properly outputting a midi signal. However, the function of ‘receiving and relaying any data received from the midi-in port’ does not seem to work. It’s possible there’s a defect in my MR…

Does it sound like I have missed anything in the setup?

Thanks,
BD

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2007 @ 07:59 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: using Motif Rack as USB interface

You’d need to contact Sibelius (or at least consult its documentation).

You should test whether you are receiving MIDI at your computer with some other application - as in the post above. That will tell you whether your USB interface function is working. Do you have MIDI-OX? Or something that will show you MIDI activity?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Only 4 parts to a Perfomance set up?
Next Topic:

Motif Rack OS Update and Multi Part Editor ››