mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Accessing multis on Motif Rack from a sequencer"

Posted on: March 16, 2003 @ 08:55 PM
javade
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-16-2003

Help please. Does anyone know how to change the multis from an external sequencer? No bank numbers (MSB, LSB) are listed in the Data List document for the Multis (that I could find) and none of the posted patchlists in Motifmart have this information either.

As you all know, on a Motif keyboard, the bank numbers are MSB:63. LSB: 64 but that doesn’t seem to work for me. When I try to use that, the individual voices change in the mixer but the actual multi stays the same and receives the information as an edit, e.g. the “E” turns on.  Am I missing something obvious?

If anyone can help, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2003 @ 07:04 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Accessing multis on Motif Rack from a sequence

The Motif-Rack page is currently under construction and we will have the usual Behind the Manual documents to fill in what the er, Manual has left out.

Here is how it works, in brief:

if you are controlling a Motif-Rack from a Motif or S90, the first thing you will notice is that Performances (63/64) do not select anything on the ‘Rack.

to properly control it you need to use a MASTER setup on the Motif/S90 - I refer you to the article in the Behind the Manual section on Understanding MASTER Mode on the Motif or
Understanding MASTER mode on the S90

Set up a MASTER setup that sends out via MIDI both Bank select and Program change. MSB = 63/ LSB = 65 and a PC for the USER MULTI #1-128

If you are in VOICE mode on a Motif /S90 and you send a PC to the Rack, let’s say “PRE2 01 (A01) Violin” which is actually 63/1 PC = 1, quite naturally, every thing in the Rack on that MIDI channel will change to PRE2 01, (A01) or Violin. It has no choice.

So to select MULTIs you must send MSB/LSB = 63/65. This is actually in the ‘Rack Data List booklet on page 46 (there are a few typos, we are having them addressed).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2003 @ 08:32 AM
javade
Joined  03-16-2003

A huge thanks to you Bad Mister! That solves the issue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2003 @ 01:54 PM
javade
Joined  03-16-2003

Oops I spoke too soon. OK, here’s the conundrum. Now my multi’s switch fine, but now in mixing edit mode, the individual parts (tracks) won’t respond to program change information. (I’m trying to assign voices in my sequencer, e.g. Motif Rack Channel 1, Motif Rack Channel 2, etc. on different tracks) This worked before, but of course I had to assign the multi manually. Is there a way to do both...switch to a multi using one command and then send invidual track voice assignments afterwards when in mix edit mode.

Given the choice, I would rather do the latter.

I know this type of info will be posted soon, but just trying to make a deadline. Thanks again!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 18, 2003 @ 11:53 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You can do both, of course. The Bank Select and program changes are listed (correctly) on page 46 of the Data List booklet.

If you send Bank Select (MSB/LSB) 63/0 on MIDI channel 1 it will select PRE1 on the Rack. The banks are exactly the same as on the Motif for the banks they share: (you do get an additional two Preset and an additional User*.
Pre1 63/0
Pre2 63/1
Pre3 63/2
Pre4 63/3*
Pre5 63/4*
Usr1 63/8
Usr2 63/9*
GM 0/0
PDR 63/32
UDR 63/40
GMdr 127/0

You just need to input a Program Change event, on the channel you want to change. If you are sending from a Motif this is easy. See page 189-191 on inserting Events in a Song.

Top of page 191 will show you how to enter MSB-LSB-PC into the sequencer.

your first event on track 1 should be to select a multi, followed by the Program Change event to change the individual Voice.

001:1:000.... PC.... 063-065-000 .... This will recall the MULTI #1

Your MULTI will store all locations for the initial start of the song, if you need to make a program change during a song, simply use the MSB/LSB commands above:

045:4:460.....PC .... 063-000-000 [PowerGrand]
057:4:470.....PC .... 063-001-000 [Violin ]

If you are using an external sequencer you should look up in its manual how it deals with MSB/LSB Bank Select messages.

Make sure that the Motif-Rack has “Bank Select Sw” = ON and “Program Change Sw” = ON on the UTILITY MIDI page.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Can Yamaha US please try and Justify this for Me
Next Topic:

Mo & MPC ››