mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sluggish keys on S90"

Posted on: September 21, 2006 @ 04:13 AM
brissiemuso
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-21-2006

I have an S90 88 note keyboard, about 3 years old, and lately have been experiencing a problem with one of the white keys staying down and not springing back up immediately. I was wondering if this is a problem which can be easily fixed by a user. I’ve already lifted the key module out of the wooden case but can’t see anything wrong with the mechanism of this note. Is this a replacable part?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2006 @ 07:31 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: sluggish keys on S90

It is a replaceable part.
Being UK based, I am not sure how you would go about getting a replacement part in OZ though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 26, 2006 @ 11:17 PM
brissiemuso
Joined  09-21-2006

Thanks for the advice Wellie, I’ll probably have to lug it into a workshop soon and do something about it. I have no idea where to get the part otherwise.Cheers mate

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2006 @ 04:24 PM
beno
Joined  10-07-2006

I too have been having this problem. I have been in touch with Yamaha Australia a few times to try and rectify this problem but with no satisfaction. The last guy I sproke to wanted to know the serial No and said the problem was rectified before my keyboard was made. I have had my S90 for about 3 years and had my first sticky key about 12 months after I purchased it. I treat my S90 as a baby and I know the problem is NOT my fault. I have learned today from this site that I am not alone and overseas Yamaha are standing behind there product and recognising the fault and doing something about it. How are your sticky keys going and whats happen for you?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2006 @ 09:36 PM
kevland1
Total Posts:  1107
Joined  11-06-2005

This is a known problem.
You cant try to live with it, it will make you insane.
I understand there was a generation of S90 keyboards that had this problem...supposedly exposure to heat or direct sunlight/heat would really warp and bring it on....it is also my understand that Yamaha revamped (quietly) the board and kept on manufacturing. A good Yamaha tech has the numbers of where the old cut off and the new started. Those lucky enough to be under warranty and meet the cutoff get (or got) the entire keypad replaced.
There has to be one master tech, Yammy guru that has the info on this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2006 @ 06:51 AM
spacenorman
Total Posts:  6
Joined  12-14-2006

I’m neither a Yamaha tech or guru - just a fat ol’ keyboard player that had the same problem with the keys on my P200 that is roughly the same age of as your S90.  The folks at Yamaha Service and Support directed me back to my local 3rd party repair facility and told me to point the local 3rd party folks to Yamaha Service Bulletin #1468 1/3.  According to the note I got from Yamaha - they’ll replace the keybed at no charge.  I’m in the process of getting that done on my P200 now. 

The SpaceNorman /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif alt=
[url=http://www.rhythm21band.com]http://www.rhythm21band.com [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2007 @ 03:40 PM
beno
Joined  10-07-2006

I have just one problem key which is a B note right were I mostly play. I have replaced the key a few times now and sometimes it will last a few gigs but it always become slugish after a while and then starts to stick. Out of desperation I actually replaced the bottom part of that key but the same thing is still happening. I have changed over springs and other notes next to tha B note without sucess as well. I can’t figure out what is actually making the key sluggish. Has any one got any Glues?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2007 @ 06:00 AM
Joyce
Joined  07-31-2006

well I had some fun when I placed a (guitar)pic on the board and it fell down between the keys.....S#$@t....took all the screws out of the bottom and hinged it open, found a way to remove the key(s) so I could get to the Pic, it was jamming the key so when I pressed it it would not go down and sound.  From memory there is a small tab that if pressed releases the key, being the white or black bit, but it is a little tricky to put back and requires a degree of hands on intelligence.  It is such that if the spring is not placed ED-ZACHARY(exactly) in the right spot the key in question sat 1-2mm higher and didn’t feel right under hand.  I wonder if this spring arrangement is not fitted properly, or has failed/dislodged with use.  After playing guitar for a number of years I see this not as an instrument, such as a piano but as an electronic component with moving parts that may be subject to maintenance.  I would think given the design of the keys and feel of them that a spring may have slipped out of place, bearing in mind that there are several springs per key I couldn’t explain how to repair this as it’s tuff going!!!! Let me know if anyone has found the problem....the root of all evil!!!

cheers

AJ

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ getting started on my motif
Next Topic:

Wanted Motif ES7 ››